• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe DC unable to convert word doc to PDF, by right clicking

Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to ADobe DC and have Office 2010 32 Bit. When I right click on a word doc and choose "convert to PDF" I get an error.

Unexpected error occurred. PDFMaker unable to produce ADobe PDF. I can open a word doc and am able to do "save as". But right clicking is more important as i need to convert multiple files.

I have tried uninstalling office and resintalling it, but has not helped.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Hi, thanks for your response. Pls let me know exactly which registry to back up and where can i find HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{2DF8D04C-5BFA-101B-BDE5-00AA0044DE52}\2.8?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sg1310  wrote

...Unexpected error occurred. PDFMaker unable to produce ADobe PDF....

I have tried uninstalling office and resintalling it, but has not helped.

From which program are you right-clicking to invoke the conversion? Windows Explorer?

It appears that PDFMaker is not completely installed on your system (may have gotten deleted, uninstalled, or deactivated). That is definitely likely after you uninstalled and reinstalled Office. Acrobat and its plug-ins must be installed after Office so that the PDFMaker plug-in can be installed in the Office apps.

Try this remedy:

1. Uninstall the current installation of Acrobat. If you're in Windows, use the Uninstall utility in Control Panel. (Your current install of Acrobat is sort of broken at this time, and it can't be completely fixed without uninstalling it.)
  2. Shut down your computer -- cold shutdown, not a reboot.
  3. Restart your computer.
  4. Reinstall your copy of Acrobat.

Let us know if this works.

Best to you.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is in windows explorer. Windows 7. So when I first installed DC, MS Office was already installed on my machine. Reading up on this forums, someone suggested reinstalling MS office. Not sure if doing what you are suggesting, will change anything as thats how the problem started with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if I open a word doc, I can do a "save as" and it will create the PDF. Since I have multiple files to do so< i was hoping right-clicking should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you reinstalled Office, you wiped out at least part of the PDFMaker plug-in and you'll have various problems making PDFs at all.

Think about this: if you reinstalled Office, how could Acrobat's plug-in for Office be installed before you even installed Office? It's always Office first, then Acrobat so that the plug-in can be installed into it.

So at this point, you wiped out the plug-in (at least critical parts of it) when you reinstalled Office.

FYI, software/driver conflicts on your computer can disabled the PDF Maker from the system. Not break it or remove it, but disable it. That might have been the original problem you had, which is easily corrected by activating PDF Maker from Word's preferences.

However, as I said, your PDF Maker is DOA. Only reinstalling Acrobat from scratch will resurrect it.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bevi,

Thanks for the explanation. But how will you explain the ability to be able to make pdf from the "add on" tab 

If the PDFMaker was broken, then this should not work either. Right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Backup this registry key prior to doing this.  But this will solve your problem.

Delete the entire 2.8 key, leave 2.6 and 2.7 alone

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{2DF8D04C-5BFA-101B-BDE5-00AA0044DE52}\2.8 (the entire 2.8 key needs to be deleted)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your response. Pls let me know exactly which registry to back up and where can i find HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{2DF8D04C-5BFA-101B-BDE5-00AA0044DE52}\2.8?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked! thansk a lot. But it will be very helpful if you explain what it did and why was 2.8 there to begin with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have no idea, I am jsut the IT guy at my firm.   We actually ran a script across the company to remove this entry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines