Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CRAZY AND BRUTAL UPDATE

Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ANGRY COMPLAINT:

Yesterday afternoon I was giving an online course on PDF forms to several people.
At one point, instead of closing the active document, I quit the software, which is normally of no consequence.
But there when I wanted to relaunch Acrobat Pro I got a message asking me to wait until the update was installed. Which is already painful in itself.

And about 5 minutes later when I wanted to relaunch Acrobat Pro it displayed a message saying that restarting the computer was necessary, and no other way.
In the middle of the class I therefore had to disconnect from the classroom, leave Zoom, restart the computer, etc.

WELL DONE GUYS !!!

In all we lost about 30 minutes.

And the icing on the cake: after the update, the "_responses" PDF Portfolio we were working on had changed interface (now the buttons are up and colorless), it took me several more minutes to understand what had happened.

Do the eggheads who schedule the updates know that there are people who work with their software, even in the middle of the afternoon???

While waiting for them to be treated, I have disabled automatic updates for all my Adobe software.

Couldn't Acrobat Pro be able to ask the question before, rather than doing a brutal update without warning???

Thanks for your attention, I feel better now.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting , Install update and subscribe to Acrobat , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read your other post in our forum space and came here to read the Real Story.

IMHO this is Clearly User Error, Your Error. No one in their Right Mind, IMHO, leave any Auto Update system active. Especially people or companies that actually try making a living with their computers.

It certainly is not Adobe's fault. There are option to turn All the Auto Updating features Off so this type of thing does not happen. Now if there was No options to turn the suto update system off then it would be the software comapnies fault. But that is not the case.

So I suggest you start with Disabling All Auto Update options.

Best of luck to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at this, and I can see how it could easily trip up even a user who fully intends to disable Auto Update. Acrobat is part of Creative Cloud, and I have made it a point to turn off Auto Update for my Creative Cloud apps, so I thought that took care of all of them.

But Adobe gives Acrobat its own auto-update preference which is independent of what is set in the Creative Clould app. I'm not sure how many people realize that. I only looked at my Acrobat auto-update setting because I read this thread. The Acrobat team probably wants their own Auto Update preference in their app since it is has its own life outside Creative Cloud and has a history of security vulnerabilities combined with a very large user base.

But I think it is fair for us to expect a couple of things:

• An auto-update notification should appear before the update with an opportunity to cancel, as originally requested in this thread, to give fair warning to those in the middle of important work. 
  • If the Creative Cloud desktop app is installed, the Acrobat auto-update preference should follow the setting in Creative Cloud, or at least notify when the setting differs in case it’s intentional (like Bridge does for synchronizing color settings).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That must have been very frustrating.

Earlier this week at the last five minutes of class I could no longer hear any of the students on my end - and with a very engaged, talkative group.  To say it made me nuts is an understatement.  I finished class with the Chat and restarted later, but internally, I let out a schriek.

Making sure our software is up-to-date and when falls on our IT department, not the software publisher.  The thing is, sometimes that's us (and during stressful times one thing too many).  When things go south, "egghead" is a good choice of words.  Sounds like your IT guy got it resolved though.  I'd say he deserves a pat on the back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should stop enabling by default any Auto-Update process in there preference software. They could pop a message asking if the users if they want to enable it.

Even when enabled, a message should ask: «It is a good time to do the update now? Yes/No».

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the preferences you can disable the installation of the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know. The issue is that Adobe turn it on by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's a damned if you do, damned if you dont.

If Adobe turns off auto update by default people would complain when their version suddenly stops working due to lack of updates. Or when they decide to update due to bugs or etc. its a much longer process because you are behind X version udpates.

I dont think there is a clear answer to this. Lose lose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@kevin stohlmeyer ,

i disagree (though i know others may disagree with me).  when an update is ready users should be prompted with an "update now" or "update later" option.  i see them all the time on my mac when updates are available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question is - not that you have Auto Update enabled (I think thats been established) but do you have notifications turned on?

That may have been helpful - it notifies you when there are available updates and also when it is about to update your software.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/notifications.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat silently update itself with no warning what so ever with the default preferences. That’s the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get that but this isnt new - it's been this way from the get go. Its the first thing I turn off with a new install and still check it once and while to confirm its off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the eggheads who schedule the updates know that there are people who work with their software, even in the middle of the afternoon???

The latest Acrobat update has been available since 11/03.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yikes, i wasn't aware acrobat had its own auto-update (now disabled) preference, either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Jean-Claude wrote, in any case, even when auto-update is enabled, a message should ask: «It is a good time to do the update now? Yes/No».

It's just common sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my point - there are notifications that pop up alerting you that there are pending updates. Did you have those turned off? I agree a confirmation would be good but that defeats the purpose of an "auto" update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines