Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Digitally signing PDF with certificate on smart card - Adobe Acrobat freezes

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Adobe Acrobat 20, Gemalto smartcard, IDPrime

I open 2 PDF documents, digitaly sign the first document, everything is OK.

I try signing the second document, while the first is still open and adobe freezes at the point where i should enter the PIN for the smartcard.

If i close Acrobat after every signature everything works OK for every document.

I tried reinstalling Acrobat and IDPrime, deleted all folders associated with both programs, tried it on different local profile, nothing seems to work. Tried all that bacause on the second PC it all works as intended under identical situation (same software, same versions). Something obviously happened on this single PC that it stopped working and i cant find the reason. Any help/idea would be appriciated.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anton,

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described, signing the second document, while the first is still open and adobe freezes at the point where you should enter the PIN for the smartcard.

As mentioned, the application is working fine under identical situation  on a different machine.There are some steps that we can try:

1. If the file is stored on a shared network/drive, please try to download the documents to your computer locally and then try to open them and sign also do check for any missing/pending update for the smartcard device and try updating it.

2. You may also try to turn off the protected mode for testing (Windows Only) Go to Edit > Preferences > Enhanced Security > Uncheck 'enable protected mode at start up' turn off the protected mode and uncheck enhanced security > click OK and reboot the computer.
Note: Please turn on the security after testing to avoid security risks.

3. You may also try to create a new test user profile on your computer or enable the root account on Mac and try using the application there and check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Amal and thank you for response.

I did all of your suggestions before posting the original post.

I dont think that the problem is related with smartcard, since I use other applications that require access to smartcard for authentication and there is no problem for using it multiple times in a row. The problem is just in Adobe Acrobat. Its weird. I also used Adobe Cleaner Tool in hope it would clean some registry entry that would be causing the problem, no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My org is having this issue.  Protected mode being off does allow documents to be signed, but it is a requirement from the powers that be.  The file in testing has been on the local machine we are on Acrobat DC version 2022.003.20314.  We have tested it on multiple windows 10 desktop machines.  The error we are getting is:

Faulting application name: Acrobat.exe, version: 22.3.20314.0, time stamp: 0x63cb6687
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.2364, time stamp: 0xea5711f3
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x00088b30

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @L0st1TS0ul 

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble.

Is this an issue with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs? Please try with a different PDF file and check.

What is the workflow/steps you are doing to sign the PDF? A small video recording of the same would be very helpful. Also, please share the PDF file in question so that we can check it at our end.

You may also try to sign the PDF online here https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/home/ and see if that works.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines