Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does electronic signature using Adobe DC meet EU directive eIDAS Regulation

New Here ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I want to use electronic signature software for documents but without having to buy Adobe Sign (sorry Adobe ;-/). I have discovered that by using the 'Prepare Form' function on Adobe DC I can add an electronic signature that I seem to be able to 'validate' and 'generate a certificate' to support, however what I need to know is if that meets the requirements of the EU directive - eIDAS Regulation.

I am not referring to the 'Fill and Sign' function.

Many thanks for any advice.

Roshambo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're probably going to have to ask a lawyer about that. No one here is qualified to give legal advice, unless a lawyer happens by.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you will know that a forum cannot give you an opinion that is professional or qualified. For that you would need to pay a suitable professional. However, I can share what five minutes' looking into this suggests to me. This directive is about proving identity. Now, you generated a certificate, you say. Did you have to prove your identity to anyone to do this? In a legally binding way? If not, this isn't going to meet the needs of the directive which states: "

Qualified electronic signatures must:

• be offered by a qualified trust service provider;
  • meet the specific requirements for an advanced signature;
  • be created using a qualified creation device; and
  • be supported by a qualified certificate."

So, you need to buy a high level trust certificate. I imagine it will come with a hardware device. Once you have one, PERHAPS you can create compliant documents with Reader. Expect to pay a few hundred euros for such a certificate. But really, I suggest a lot more research, you could throw money at this and not meet the requirements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Test_Screen_Name that's a really helpful response. I appreciate that there is a legal aspect to this and I will need to look into to what extent the system I am using enables the receiver to verify my identity. It seems that I am self-certifying using Windows Certificate Store which probably isn't acceptable.

It looks inevitable that I will have to pay for something compliant.

Many thanks,

Roshambo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have been through the process of getting certificates (different kinds) and I can agree it is expensive and annoying; waiting for calls to verify my ID, verifying my company is in business directories etc. etc. Tip: there are multiple kinds of certificates. For example SSL (for web sites), code signing (for programmers). What you probably want (but don't take my word for it) is a "document signing" certificate. There are far fewer choices here, it seems to me. Using the wrong kind of certificate may partially work but fail later!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines