Highlighted

Expandable fields text not printing

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a form that has open text fields that are expandable based on the entry. You can see the full text entered online, but when you print, the field cuts off as if the expanded part is not there.  Any idea how to print everything/ all of text that is in that field?  Or do I need to expand the physical field or limit the characters?  Any help is appreciated!

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by try67 | Most Valuable Participant

The only solution is to set the font size to Auto, which will cause it to become smaller and smaller as you type in more text into the field.

Topics

PDF forms, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Expandable fields text not printing

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a form that has open text fields that are expandable based on the entry. You can see the full text entered online, but when you print, the field cuts off as if the expanded part is not there.  Any idea how to print everything/ all of text that is in that field?  Or do I need to expand the physical field or limit the characters?  Any help is appreciated!

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by try67 | Most Valuable Participant

The only solution is to set the font size to Auto, which will cause it to become smaller and smaller as you type in more text into the field.

Topics

PDF forms, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a LiveCycle Designer form?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure...how can I tell?  I just started at a new company and am trying to sort this problem for them so not sure how they made it.  😕

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look under File - Properties - Description - Application.

Also, can you edit the form fields in Acrobat, or does it say that you need to use LCD when you try to do so?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah thanks - it's InDesign 2015

and yes, I can edit the fields in Acrobat.

Thanks for your help!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then how did you create expandable fields? There's no such option in an Acrobat form.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't create this form, hence the problems.  I'll look closer tomorrow to see if I can figure out how it was set up.  Is there  way to attach the form here?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. You can upload it to a file-sharing website (Dropbox, Google Drive, Adobe Cloud, etc.) and then post the link to it here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would love your help if you can... here is a link to one of the effected files. 

If you type into one of the fields (I've used the smaller ones to test) and go beyond the visible box, you can see it online but only the visible part of the text in the box will print.  Please let me know if there's more info you need on my end - truly appreciate your help!!

Dropbox - Adobe PDF Form Problem

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What fields in this file are "expandable"?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe I'm not stating it well.  I mean that you can type into any field past where the box "ends".  The setting is called "Scroll Long Text".  So you can scroll and see online, but it won't print.  Does that make more sense?  sorry if I'm not using the correct terminology!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, you can only print what is seen in the visible field in Acrobat, not what goes beyond the fields actual onscreen size. Printing everything in an expandable field is a feature of LiveCycle Designer PDF forms, but not Acrobat PDF forms. In other words, you can't fix this to print the long field scrollable text.

Hope this helps,

Dimitri

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just did that and it'll work for what I needed to edit and accomplish this week - thanks so much for all of your help!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently this is a feature being considered by Adobe... but we need to upvote it in order for Adobe Softwear engeneers to understand how BASIC and important it is for Form users to have expaning fields! 

https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/590923-acrobat-for-windows-and-mac/suggestions/18999883-create-...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
One Stop Solution for Acrobat
Edit a PDF