Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export a PDF to an image with transparency

Contributor ,
Oct 11, 2010 Oct 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm trying to export a PDF (which contains a logo with 4 paths) as an image with transparency. In my case I use the PNG because it supports the transparency. As my logo is defined with paths it should be possible to create an image with transparency.

Maybe this is a limitation and Acrobat cannot create image wich supports transparency.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Open the PDF in Photoshop and check if it transparent or not and if not, make it trans

parent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I just want to convert my logo (which is created with paths) to an image which support transparency with Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 12, 2010 Oct 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't say "convert", you said "export". Exporting a PDF from Acrobat can be an image, but it will only export the whole PDF. PNG supports no paths, but transparency. With JPG it's vice versa. But Acrobat will not save the path or switch to transparency, so you need to do it as I said.

Use Photoshop or any else graphic tool that can open PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 12, 2010 Oct 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I open it in Photoshop and the pdf is transparent. But once I export the pdf from Acrobat to PNG or TIFF the transparency

is lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2010 Nov 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and searched for a solution here and found this topic.

Did you have success in export/convert from a transparent PDF to an image?

I need to do it by "Save as ..." from Acrobat Pro. But the transparency is lost saving it as PNG or TIFF.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Norbert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 03, 2010 Nov 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was investigating but I didn't find a solution so I guess that it's not possible using Acrobat.

Regards,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 04, 2010 Nov 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed this thread because I find it interesting, though I don't have the problem you have.

There are two possibilities:

a) you have a normal PDF with test and  images. This page(s) you can only export completely to one picture or to HTML, where the images are single files, but loose the transparency path.

b) you have a PDF containing nothing but an image. This can be saved by right-clicking and choosing "Save image as..." as BMP, TIFF or JPG.

In case you got case b), where do you know it has transparency? The page will have at least a white background.

In order to test it, I placed a JPG with path directly in Acrobat per drag 'n drop. It had a white background. Exporting it to another image as TIFF lost

the path.

So no way to export with transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2010 Nov 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Joe:

That's a really pity.

Have you found any other software which can do this job.

I searched yesterday but didn't find anything.

@Doc Maik

b)

I have a (lot) PDF containing a single image which has a transparent background.

You can check that in Acrobat by menu: Edit - Preferences - Page Display - Show transparency grid

I need to have a PNG or TIFF (these two formats allow transparency) of that image.

That's all but as it seems to much for Acrobat to handle.

"Save as ..." doesn't work in case of transparency!

Thanks anyway.

Best regards

Norbert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 05, 2010 Nov 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

n42,

I stopped to search a solution using a PDF so no software founded.

Regards,

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2010 Nov 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joe,

the only software I found is Photoshop CS5 Extended.

It keeps the PDFs transparency when exporting to PNG-24.

Acrobat Pro IS NOT ABLE to export images AND keep transparency.

Is there anyone who found another way?

Thanks

Norbert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 30, 2010 Nov 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines