• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I delete text that I added to a scanned-doc PDF?

Enthusiast ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

I have a PDF that is a scanned paper document. It's a form, so I opened it in Acrobat (latest version) and started adding text in the appropriate places.

Now I want to delete some of the text objects I just added. I can find no way to do this. Nor can I find any way to MOVE text (adjust its position on the page).

Anybody have insight on this infuriating situation? Thanks!

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Once all the characters are deleted, the text box should vanish.

If you go to Tools> Edit PDF> Edit, and select the text box, you can either edit the content, rotate the box, or delete the box, depending on where you move the cursor. when the cursor looks like a 4 pointed arrow, you can delete the text and the box.

delete type.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does you add the text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 28, 2019 Jul 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the text tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Comment text tool? Form text tool? Or other tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to "Edit PDF" and then used the "add text" tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the text and press delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That just puts a red line through it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you activate "Edit PDF" ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 29, 2019 Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes; you have to do that, or you can't add text. Here's the sequence, and what happens when I press Delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to keep using the "Edit Text" tool to be able to delete this text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Another brilliant Adobe UI. I want to delete the entire text object; not just the characters. Thus, the logical choice is the selection tool. But it turns into a text-editing tool when you hover over the text... so there's no reason you'd assume that you have to use the (apparently redundant) text tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once all the characters are deleted, the text box should vanish.

If you go to Tools> Edit PDF> Edit, and select the text box, you can either edit the content, rotate the box, or delete the box, depending on where you move the cursor. when the cursor looks like a 4 pointed arrow, you can delete the text and the box.

delete type.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I was in Edit mode. Typically a selection arrow will let you select an entire object, but in Acrobat it turns into a text-editing caret if you get anywhere near the next; using that to select and delete text results in a red line through it. So you have to back and select the Text tool in order to delete the entire object; just the opposite of the way most apps function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat isn't mainly an editor though. It's barely one at all. However, it IS a tool for copy editing and mark-up (crossing out, for someone else to handle later, not editing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's fine. The problem is that it defies Adobe's own conventions and common sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines