• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I install the PDF Printer Driver?

Participant ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I no longer have the driver to print to a PDF. It had worked for as long as I can remember.  I have the latest version of Adobe Reader DC and run under Windows 8.1 (also tried a Repair).  I have seen the instructions below, but in step 4, the Documents\*.pdf (Adobe PDF) is not listed in the drop-down menu.  Looks like lots of other people are having this problem, but I've been unable to find a solution.  Thanks in advance.

1. Click Start > Control Panel > Devices and Printers.
  2. Select Add a printer.
  3. Select Add a local printer.
  4. Check Use an existing port and select Documents\*.pdf (Adobe PDF) from the drop down. ...
  5. Click the Have Disk… ...
  6. Click the Browse… ...
  7. Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Xtras\AdobePDF.
TOPICS
Create PDFs , Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

On behalf of Adobe …

The free Adobe Reader never, repeat never, repeat yet again never provided the support to create PDF in any way whatsoever including the Adobe PDF PostScript printer driver. That particular feature has only been available as part of Acrobat Standard or Acrobat Pro. The only other method by which this feature is installed is via an installation of Adobe FrameMaker which installs the Adobe PDF PostScript printer driver in support of PDF creation.

No, Adobe has not taken any such

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving the discussion to Creating PDFs forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader does not and never did include the PDF printer. It comes with the paid-for Acrobat product (Acrobat Pro, Acrobat Standard). Try a REPAIR on your paid-for Acrobat product.  Repairing Acrobat Reader will do nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not true.  I've been able to print to PDF for many years.  It is not until the latest version of Adobe Reader that this is no longer possible.  Looks like another take-away from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but you're wrong and TSN is right. Either you had Adobe Acrobat (not Reader) or you used a third-party PDF printer. Reader doesn't (and didn't) include this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly I was using OpenOffice (free software) to do that in the past, but I don't think so.  Both OpenOffice Draw and OpenOffice Writer have a "File - Export as PDF" option.  I just tried that on a JPG file and it worked fine.  So I will use that.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for giving me a free option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On behalf of Adobe …

The free Adobe Reader never, repeat never, repeat yet again never provided the support to create PDF in any way whatsoever including the Adobe PDF PostScript printer driver. That particular feature has only been available as part of Acrobat Standard or Acrobat Pro. The only other method by which this feature is installed is via an installation of Adobe FrameMaker which installs the Adobe PDF PostScript printer driver in support of PDF creation.

No, Adobe has not taken any such feature away from the product.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be late to the party, but you are not entirely correct. I represented Adobe and supported Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premier, Pagemaker, and Framemaker +SGML, plus a few other now deprecated products between 1991 and 1995. There WAS a free PDF print driver available that did not require the purchase of any Acrobat product. This was before PDF integration was native to the Mac OS and eventually Windows. It is no longer the case. The people here saying they had a PDF print driver without owning purchased Acrobat product are correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the timeframe of MacOS 9 and earlier, there was no such free PDF driver from Adobe, maybe other sources, but not Adobe. PageMaker and FrameMaker came with such a driver, but they were Adobe products.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is typical of Adobe Crap. Nothing works and it is all about the money. Screw the user,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have purchased Adobe DC Pro and my adobe PDF printer has stopped working, too!  It has worked for years with no problems and just STOPPED FOR NO APPARENT reason about a month or so ago.  I want it back.  I was never given a disk for it so these instructions are meaningless to me.  I know how to install drivers and have been loading, installing, updating and repairing printers for 40 years now.  Please address the problem and stop deflecting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming that the Adobe PDF PostScript printer driver instance is not showing in the printers control panel, try the Help=>Repair Installation function in Acrobat. If it is showing, but not working, delete the printer, reboot, and then try the Help=>Repair Installation function in Acrobat.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was that called please? I have followed Acrobat history keenly since 1.0. I remember a free PostScript printer driver. I remember PDFwriter, a non-Postscript printer driver included in Acrobat Exchange 1.0, 2.0 and 2.1, removed after Acrobat 5.0, but it was never free to my knowledge. PageMaker and Distiller bundled Distiller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines