• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

internal pdf links not working in chrome and firefox

Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2014 Jul 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some PDF files that I am adding links to additional PDF files that are located in the same folder on our webserver using Acrobat Pro XI. The links work fine in IE and the other PDF files open up and display well in the IE browser, but the links don't even show up in Chrome and will not open in Firefox. Further, the links in Safari, deliver an error message pop up saying the file could not be opened. If you click OK, the file does open. Also, in Acrobat > Tools > Add or Edit Link, I can change the properties to "Open File" and pick the "Open in New Window" option, but when I save the changes and come back, the option has automatically changed back to "Execute a Menu Item" and of course, the file I'm linking to does not open in a new Window.  These files were originally created in Word by another person and the person who converted them to PDF added fillable form fields throughout the document prior to converting to PDF. The links I am adding are being added using Acrobat Pro XI in the PDF file. Should we insert the above-mentioned links in the Word docs prior to converting to PDF to ensure the links work in all browsers, or are these browser issues common to all internal PDF links?

Please help!

Thanks,

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that you are using the Adobe PDF NPAPI viewer for Chrome and Firefox.  Both Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox now have their own default PDF viewers.

To change Chrome's settings use this blog:  Change PDF Viewer back to Adobe’s in Google Chrome « Caveat Lector

To change Firefox's settings use this:  How to disable the built-in PDF viewer and use another viewer | Firefox Help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, the instructions for Chrome worked and the links and forms are now working when I open the files. The fix for Firefox did not work. Any thoughts on Safari? It doesn't look like there is a plugin/extension for Safari. Also, any thoughts on why my link properties do not save when I save changes in my PDF file?

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Safari uses the Apple "Preview" to display and cause all sorts of problems with PDF files.

The consensus of those who heavily use PDFs, is to configure Safari to use Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat for displaying PDFs.

Preview.app – Killer of PDF Files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Portfolios forms seem to have issues with those products.

There seem to be more issues with Microsoft sites using SharePoint when viewed with Google Chrome and Firefox.

Unfortunately there is no way to tell if one has a 3rd party browser using JavaScript inside of a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I'm following your response, but this has nothing to do with Sharepoint.  Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has to do with the Google Chrome and FireFox browsers issues.

SharePoint can host PDF files and from my experience Google Chrome does not show the bookmarks in a PDF loaded from SharePoint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I said previously, this is not related to Sharepoint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines