• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[LOCKED] Is there a way to embed video in a PDF that will play on a Mac or iPad?

Nov 08, 2013 Nov 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a training document in Acrobat XI Pro (converted from Word).  I have embedded a video into the PDF that plays within the document, and it works fine on my PC.  When the file is opened on a Mac or iPad, the video will not play.  As another option, I embedded the video as a YouTube widget.  Again, it plays fine on my PC but won't play on a Mac or iPad.  As a third option, I've tried hyperlinking a screen shot of the YouTube video in my PDF.  On my PC and iPad it will navigate me to my browser to play the video in YouTube, but is not functional on my Mac.

Would welcome suggestions.  Ideally want one solution that will play on all 3 devices!

Thank you.

TOPICS
Rich media and 3D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

For best results in 2021, use InDesign to place MP4 video into your interactive documents.  Then export to PDF.

[NOTE:  This topic from 2013 is outdated and no longer relevant.  This discussion is now locked.  For further questions, please begin a new topic. Thank you.]

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2013 Nov 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rich media in PDF relies on Flash, so it's not an option for iOS devices. Adobe Reader Mobile doesn't support rich media at all.

On desktops, non-Adobe software such as Preview, or Web browser internal renderers, won't display it either. Your only option for cross-platform support is to include a simple web link and post the video online, ideally on an HTML5 page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2016 Feb 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great explanation to what I was experiencing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2016 Sep 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, thanks for the help. I am having a similar issue but with sound. What are your recommendations for making my PDF sound enabled document work on cross platforms? Basically, I'm English language instructor and I am trying to get my kids the full reading, and listening experience in a document. Do you have an format suggestions that will might work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2014 Jan 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There ya go !

An interactive rich media .pdf running on an iPad ( also runs on desktop )

Enjoy  🙂

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11563257/Beta%205%20demo%20for%20Readdle.mp4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2014 Oct 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Harry Hemus, what software did you use to create the interactive pdf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the link is broken, I'm curious to see this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For best results in 2021, use InDesign to place MP4 video into your interactive documents.  Then export to PDF.

[NOTE:  This topic from 2013 is outdated and no longer relevant.  This discussion is now locked.  For further questions, please begin a new topic. Thank you.]

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 04, 2014 Oct 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, how did you embed the mp4 into the PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, if you want to run video inside a .pdf on an iPad, you should be aware that the Adobe Tablet and Mobile reader does NOT support rich media ( audio or video ).  Despite trying to encourage Adobe to 'get real', it seems that they have no intention to do so in the short term.  SO ... I have been working with a company called Readdle, and beta testing their 'PDF Expert' application, and it is probably the most sophisticated .pdf  reader for iOS on the market.

It supports rich media, and certain levels of JavaScript that are particularly useful for this kind of work.

However, if all you want to do is insert video into a single .pdf document, that will run on iOS ( with 'PDF Expert only' ) as well as desktop Mac or PC, the video needs to be h264 .mp4 format ( basically avoid ANY based Flash content for iOS ).

You should also note, that active Buttons ( not hyperlinks, which are different ) which you might wish to create in say InDesign or even Acrobat, need to be made up of just imagery (and that also means converting your text to outlines ).  However, this is only necessary for iOS with PDF Expert.  Also be aware that I have not done much work which includes .pdf on Android.

I do think though that if you stick with basic navigation, avoid active 'Layers' authoring and only want to run simple video, the h264 .mp4 encoding is going to work across ALL platforms.

If you want to have a look 'under the hood' of  an example, please DOWNLOAD and save this item

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11563257/3.%20Interactive_iPad_test_for_PDF_EXPERT.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2014 Oct 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harry,

Any chance you can provide some basic instructions for embedding video content with PDF Expert?

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2014 Oct 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Grant

Basically I referred above to me using InDesign and Acrobat, and if you use either of those applications to insert video / rich media and then export to interactive .pdf for desktop, there is NO difference if you want to use PDF Expert to view your content on iOS.  Its just that Adobe's tablet and mobile readers do not support rich media ( Don't start me on that nonsense ).

There are plenty of instructional forums  ... here's a start   Create interactive PDF files | Adobe Acrobat XI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2014 Oct 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Harry, thanks for the reply.

Might also be worth mentioning Dropbox seems to play rich media content (embedded h264's) on the iPad without a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2016 Feb 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Patty,

The Default I-pad reader does not supports all formats.

You have to install PDF expert reader app, it is hardly for 11 dollars. It is a good reader. You can see videos in that, open an attached file in a different browser. Its really good.

Regards,

Veena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to do the same thing; I've found if you hang the video file as an attachment on your pdf file then the recipient can choose to open it any way they can. It is a much more choppy presentation, but it makes it possible...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are we resurrecting posts from 7 years ago?

All device browsers support MP4 video and MP3 audio.  So for a seamless experience, export projects to HTML instead of PDF.  No special viewers or plugins required. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Personal remarks removed by moderator.]

We dont want to export to html.

All Mac users are asking for is the ability to embed video in a PDF using the Rich Media function – why offer this service without advising users that it is not functional on Macs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does you think it will not work on Macs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines