Highlighted

PDF Desktop Icon Black

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WIN 10 64 Pro  Adobe Acrobat Pro DC .20100

Unfortunately, I did receive the most recent windows update.

Problem: The PDF icons on my desktop turn black.

Acrobat is set to shop images in the icons and view as large icons.

When logging in to windows, icons first appear as generic red/white icons, then become images.

At the end of windows login, all Desktop PDF icons snap to black.

Icons show images in all other folders except desktop, as well, images show in Dropbox.

Is there a way to fix this? If it is the update, can it be redacted?

Many thanks

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

PDF Desktop Icon Black

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WIN 10 64 Pro  Adobe Acrobat Pro DC .20100

Unfortunately, I did receive the most recent windows update.

Problem: The PDF icons on my desktop turn black.

Acrobat is set to shop images in the icons and view as large icons.

When logging in to windows, icons first appear as generic red/white icons, then become images.

At the end of windows login, all Desktop PDF icons snap to black.

Icons show images in all other folders except desktop, as well, images show in Dropbox.

Is there a way to fix this? If it is the update, can it be redacted?

Many thanks

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 22, 2019 1
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephenb,

Apologies for the delay in response, I hope this would be fixed by now.

If the problem still persists, you may refer to the similar discussion on Microsoft Community here - Pdf files show as black icons on my desktop. - Microsoft Community

Let us know if you need more information.

Regards,

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 31, 2019 0
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone going to solve this problem? It's happened in the last March Update, again. It's a Reader DC problem, not a Windows 10 issue, cause the version before was ok. I've already tried to reinstall it, didn't work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 05, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is still not fixed.

I deleted the "IconCache.db" file, restarted, and I got previews during about 2 seconds, and they revert to black squares icons.

Can I use this old (2014) fixup? : https://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix/

Found in this topic: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/pdf-icons-on-desktop-turn-into-black-squares/m-p/9269976?page...

I bought my PC a month ago and have already uninstalled and reinstalled Acrobat Pro twice.
Once because "PDF Optimizer" did not work (it's OK now), and once because the shortcut ctrl - creates a sticky note instead of zooming out (which did not work, I just lost time).

It is therefore not worth advising me to start by wasting my time with an uninstall-reinstall.

Thank you for your help.

Acrobat Pro 2020.006.20042

Windows 10 Professional 1909

Version 18363.720 (last updated this night)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 03, 2020 0
Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Up, up, up

SOS, please help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JR_Boulay

We are sorry for the delay in response. I hope you would be able to fix the issue by now. 

If the issue still persists, Have you tried the solutions provided in the similar discussion (https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/pdf-icons-on-desktop-turn-into-black-squares/m-p/9269976?page...)suggested by you above?

Please do let us know the results

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2020 0
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Amal but none of these solutions acts more than 3 minutes, icons still revert to black squares…

When I turn on (or off) the display of hidden files, icons are rebuilt and displays fine… for about 3 minutes too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JR_Boulay

We are sorry to hear that. Would you mind sharing the procmon logs of the affected machine for further investigation?

Please download the procmon tool (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon), run the tool and recreate the issue to collect the logs. 

Please upload the log file to the document cloud (https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/home/) generate the link and share it with us.

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2020 0
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JR_Boulay

Thank you for sharing the logs. 

Would you mind creating a new user account in Windows with full admin rights and try using the application there and check if the issue still exists there. 

Also, please share the screenshot of the issue for a better understanding.

Thanks

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like this may be related to OneDrive Icon Overlay Handler, and in particular "ErrorOverlayHandler Class". My icons turn black every time I open a save dialog. For example, load this webpage and ctrl+s. You will see the desktop icons refresh. For me, this is when they get screwed up. If I disable "ErrorOverlayHandler Class", this refreshing never occurs. This is not the first time I've had trouble with OneDrive and random refreshing occuring and causing problems. Also, if you create another Windows account, the issue appears to be gone as that user is not logged into OneDrive by default.

Adobe, can you provide any more insight into this as I'm dependent on OneDrive.

04/26/2020 12:20 AM: Nevermind. I had that Icon Handler disabled and now all of my icons are black again. If I right click on the desktop and refresh, everything will be fixed, but it will all be black in a couple of minutes.

04/26/2020 12:41 AM: Created another user account on my computer and it appears that the issue is not present. Adobe, do you have any idea as to why this would be? Is there some files in the AppData folder we should delete? Where does the Adobe Thumbnail extension cache?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 26, 2020 1