Highlighted

"No Matches Were Found" when words clearly in Document

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

I use Adobe Acrobat Pro DC for work and use the find function to scan documents for key words in order to improve efficiency. I run the program on Windows 10.

Recently, the find function has been useless, stating "Adobe Acrobat has finished searching the document. No matches were found". This is despite me being able to see the words I am searching for within the document. This has happened once before but seemed to rectify itself with a simply close and restart - however I haven't been so lucky this time. I've noticed Adobe doesn't even try to convert the document in order to read it (usually a loading pop-up window would appear with something along the lines of "conducting image to text conversion"). I can manually put it in edit mode where this box will briefly appear, but then I can only search for words by clicking on each individual text box - this defeats the point in my use of  the tool.

I've looked at previous topics on this issue where it is recommend to "Purge Cache Contents", however this still has not fixed my problem. I cannot find a way of resetting preferences further as I'm not an administrator of my machine.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated so that I can combat this problem and work more efficiently.

Thanks in advance.
Kelly

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Karl Heinz Kremer | Adobe Community Professional

Kelly, does this happen with all documents, or just a few that are all from the same source? 

The first thing I would do is to mark a paragraph that contains what you are searching for, then copy it and paste it into e.g. MS Word. Is the text the same as what you started out with? Can you search in Word and find the term? 

If the text is not the same, you are dealing with a font encoding issue. If the text is the same, and you can search in Word - or if this happens with all PDF files, I would try to repair the Acrobat installation, or re-install it. If a plain repair/reinstall does not work, then I would "clean" my system from any traces of Acrobat using Adobe's Cleaner application: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

"No Matches Were Found" when words clearly in Document

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

I use Adobe Acrobat Pro DC for work and use the find function to scan documents for key words in order to improve efficiency. I run the program on Windows 10.

Recently, the find function has been useless, stating "Adobe Acrobat has finished searching the document. No matches were found". This is despite me being able to see the words I am searching for within the document. This has happened once before but seemed to rectify itself with a simply close and restart - however I haven't been so lucky this time. I've noticed Adobe doesn't even try to convert the document in order to read it (usually a loading pop-up window would appear with something along the lines of "conducting image to text conversion"). I can manually put it in edit mode where this box will briefly appear, but then I can only search for words by clicking on each individual text box - this defeats the point in my use of  the tool.

I've looked at previous topics on this issue where it is recommend to "Purge Cache Contents", however this still has not fixed my problem. I cannot find a way of resetting preferences further as I'm not an administrator of my machine.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated so that I can combat this problem and work more efficiently.

Thanks in advance.
Kelly

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Karl Heinz Kremer | Adobe Community Professional

Kelly, does this happen with all documents, or just a few that are all from the same source? 

The first thing I would do is to mark a paragraph that contains what you are searching for, then copy it and paste it into e.g. MS Word. Is the text the same as what you started out with? Can you search in Word and find the term? 

If the text is not the same, you are dealing with a font encoding issue. If the text is the same, and you can search in Word - or if this happens with all PDF files, I would try to repair the Acrobat installation, or re-install it. If a plain repair/reinstall does not work, then I would "clean" my system from any traces of Acrobat using Adobe's Cleaner application: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into something similar ahile back. Check your font encoding. And read this: Custom PDF Font Encoding: Why You Should Care and What You Can Do About It

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karl,

It seemed to be this particular set of documents (accounts published by the same business) but then the issue translated onto previously working documents until the tool just wasn't working whatsoever.

Thanks to your advice, I've ran the cleaner and I've also researched this particular set of documents by pasting into Word. There is a font encoding issue with this set of documents, but the cleaner has sorted out whatever the glitch was that stopped it working on previously "clean" documents. 

Thanks again for your help!
Kelly 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 28, 2020 0