• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to find "Adobe PDF" resource files

Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I have noticed that Acrobat XI (11.0.18) cannot create a PDF form from an existing Word Document. This is something that was working previously but is now broken. I receive a popup that says "Unable to find "Adobe PDF" resource files. Do you want to run the installer in reparin mode? Is this something that has broken recently?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

For the record, this is what worked to fix things for me. This resolved both my Right Click to Convert issue as well as the Unable to find resource files error.

Manually install the PDF Printer

• Click Start > Control Panel > Devices and Printers
  • Select Add a printer
  • Select Add a local printer
  • Check Use an existing port and select Documents\*.pdf (Adobe PDF) from the drop down.  Click Next
  • Click the Have Disk… button
  • Click the Browse…button
  • Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat XX\Acrobat\Xtras

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roberth71,

This may happen if the updates may have messed up with the registry of the computer. And the application is unable to find the resource files.

And the application is unable to find the resource files.

Either you may reinstall the application or try repairing.

To reinstall:

1. Use Acrobat cleaner tool to uninstall the application: Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs 

2. Download the installer : Download Pro or Standard versions of Acrobat DC, XI, or X

3. Restart the machine and try installing again.

To repair:

1. Launch Acrobat if you are able to. Help Menu> Repair installation. Most likely this won't work. Then,

2. You may visit this path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat XI\Setup Files  and check if the setup exists there?

3. Either run Setup.exe or AcroPro.msi and follow the onscreen instructions. If the setup doesn't exist, follow reinstall process.

-Tariq Dar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tariq,

Thank you for the reply but your suggestion doesn't work. When I log off of the Windows 7 system and log back in, I have to run a repair on my Acrobat XI each time but it works just fine on Windows 10. Acrobat XI update 19.

Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2017 Mar 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roberth71,

Looking at your response. This seems a machine specific issue, not an application.

Also, it seems some changes are getting reflected once you repair the app. And once you restart the machine those changes are reverted back to faulty ones. This may happen if your machine user profile resets by group policies or policies set by your IT on your machine.

Have you tried to uninstalling the application using the Cleaner tool mentioned above? If not, try uninstalling the app, restart the machine and reinstall the app. Let us know if that helps.

- Also, would like to know if this is your private machine or work machine?

- If this is your work machine would like to know how is the user profile setup on the machine?

-Tariq Dar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tariq,

The first suggestion you made did not work of uninstalling and then reinstalling. The user profile is the same on Win 7 system as it is on Win 10 the system. This is an issue with all Win 7 systems because I can log into any Win 7 system and have this happen. Why does this happen on Win 7 and not Win 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roberth71,

Thank you for the prompt response.

Do you have group policies that reset user preferences location "AppData" or user "temp"?

Do you have customized Acrobat build? Can you try installing it on one machine using new installer Download Pro or Standard versions of Acrobat DC, XI, or X ? Let us know if that helps?

If you still are experiencing the same issue. Help me with your contact details via private message: How Do I Send Private Message 

-Tariq Dar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same error dialogue occur when trying to prepare a pdf form from a word document in Acrobat Pro DC (Version 2017.012.20098), running Windows 7. This is part of the Creative Cloud suite and was installed & updated through the desktop app, so I can't use the cleaner tool to uninstall. I have tried uninstalling and repairing (by following the dialogue and through the steps you outlined above) without success. Please advise on what I can do next--thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be a fairly common problem going back nearly 10 years on multiple versions of Acrobat and MS Office....I'm currently having the same issue Windows 10 and Acrobat DC. Very frustrating that there doesn't seem to be a definitive solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DavidJWilson,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Would you help us with the following information:

• Acrobat current version installed?
  • MS office suite version?
  • Operating system name and version
  • Personal or work machine?
  • If it is work machine, do you have group policies there? You may have to confirm with your IT for resetting Local Temp/User Temp locations.

Also, help us with the screenshot of the error. https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-7043#jive_content_id_How_do_I_attach_a_screenshot

-Tariq Dar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Tariq. In all honesty I don't see how providing my versions of anything will matter here. When googling the issue there are people who have had this problem as far back as 2009 or 2011. So this has been an ongoing issue through several versions of Acrobat on several version of Windows with several versions of MS Office.

But for the record, I am on Office 2016 through Office 365, Windows 10 Enterprise 1703, using Acrobat DC Version 2017.009.20058. We do not currently use Group Policies.

I have attached a screenshot of the error though it really doesn't say much.

I have also done repairs and re-installs of both MS Office and Acrobat without success. I'm aware there are also work arounds that will work, but for a user who does upwards of 20 documents a day, being able to right click and convert a selection of documents is an incredible time saver.

CreatePDFFail.JPG

Thank you for any solutions you may provide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello DavidJWilson415

Adding in Tariq's suggestion, the current subscription you have under your Adobe ID is in a Past due state i.e. there is a billing issue with the subscription. To check more details, refer to Renew or restart your Creative Cloud membership

As you mentioned about the issue, please use the Adobe Acrobat cleaner tool to remove the Acrobat Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

Restart the machine and install the Acrobat from Download Pro or Standard versions of Acrobat DC, 2017, XI, or X

If possible please uninstall the Office suite, and use the offline installer to install the office, you can use the URL Use the Office 2016 offline installer - Office Support

You may also refer to Adobe Acrobat X context menu missing | 64-bit Windows 7

Hope this helps, and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record, this is what worked to fix things for me. This resolved both my Right Click to Convert issue as well as the Unable to find resource files error.

Manually install the PDF Printer

• Click Start > Control Panel > Devices and Printers
  • Select Add a printer
  • Select Add a local printer
  • Check Use an existing port and select Documents\*.pdf (Adobe PDF) from the drop down.  Click Next
  • Click the Have Disk… button
  • Click the Browse…button
  • Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat XX\Acrobat\Xtras\AdobePDF
  • Select AdobePDF.inf from the list, click Open and then click the OK button
  • You will see many Adobe PDF Converters in the list, however count six down from the top and click Next (you may need to try this numerous times to find the correct Converter from the list that works with your version of Windows)
  • Name your printer Adobe PDF
  • Follow the rest of the prompts and your PDF printer should now be installed correctly

If you are later prompted for the ADPDF9.PPD file, it can be found in the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat XX\Acrobat\Xtras\AdobePDF\<OS version> folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dave,

Great to hear that the issue got fixed, and thank you so much for sharing the workaround.

Give us a shout if you need any assistance with Acrobat/Reader/Document Cloud Services in future.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*sigh* Sadly, this didn't help. Not sure how it is an answer. I've been doing support for a long time and this is what is known as process of elimination. As David said, this issue is well known and goes way back. It is very clear that Adobe and Microsoft do not play well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

We just got the STD version and have the same problem. Repair/ reinstall didn't help.

Appreciate the support input on this.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

I'm looking at your solution, but I already have a functional Adobe PDF printer in my Windows 10 printers list. It works fine. However, I get the "Unable to find "Adobe PDF" resource files" message when clicking File then "Save as Adobe PDF" option in Word 2016.

It should be noted that when I choose File - Print and then choose the "Adobe PDF" printer from the printer list, the file is saved successfully to a PDF file and I get no errors. At least I have this workaround to use, so it's more of an "annoyance" than anything else, likely how well Microsoft and Adobe have historically gotten along and still can't seem to play in the same sandbox together.

So, it "appears" that it has something to do with the "Save as Adobe PDF" option in Word 2016 and not an issue with the Adobe PDF printer, at least in my case. Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  I just purchased a brand new Lenovo X1 with Windows 10, went out and paid $300 for Adobe software (which is a ripoff given that the computer itself was only around $2000), and now the Acrobat doesnt work.  Can someone please help me also?  The issue I have is that when I press "CREATE PDF" from Word I get:

Unable to find "Adobe PDF" resource files.

"Acrobat PDF Maker"

You must have administrative priveleges to install these files.

>> Note that Adobe spells "priveleges" incorrectly too

Please let me know what to do, this is an important tool.. thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is $300 a "rip off"? Some applications cost thousands (if not tens of thousands) of dollars, you know...

What version of Word do you have? What version of Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Microsoft Home and Office Business 2016 and just acquired Adobe Acrobat 2017.  For $300 I do expect it to work when I install it, especially from a company that has sold this product for 20 years.  Thanks for the help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you install all available updates. If it still doesn't work try running a Repair Installation from the Help menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that, didn't help.  I purchased this online and it downloaded all the software, and there are no updates.  Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of ideas?   I've been on hold for Adobe support for about 45 minutes now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because the amount is not more, it can't be a rip off????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Josh,

I totally understand your frustration. Can you use "Print" from Word and print to the "Adobe PDF" printer?

I'm using a Lenovo ThinkPad P71 with Windows 10, but I don't think it's the computer or Windows. If you read my previous entry, I can create PDFs from Word using the "Adobe PDF" printer. The File - "Save as Adobe PDF" option doesn't work.

LMK - Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines