• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where do I hide the color in form fields in Acrobat DC?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2015 Apr 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do I hide the blue color in form fields in Acrobat DC?

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 07, 2015 May 07, 2015

Hello Jeady,

George's JavaScript suggestion is a good answer.

You can also turn on form field highlighting via a menu item as you could via the button in the blue bar in Acrobat XI.

In Acrobat DC, do the following:

1. Open your form.

2. Select the Prepare Form tool.

3. In the right-hand pane Prepare Forms tools, click the dropdown for More.

4. On the More menu, select "Highlight Existing Fields" to toggle the setting.

The setting sticks until changed for all forms open in Acrobat.

Regards,

Charlene

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They removed the purple/green document message bar, which provided the UI for toggling field highlighting. You can create a custom button or menu item that does the same thing by executing the following JavaScript:

// Toggle field highlighting

app.runtimeHighlight = !app.runtimeHighlight;

You can also run this from the JavaScript console (Ctrl+J)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's no longer available under Edit - Preferences - Forms?

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 4:14 PM, George_Johnson <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is not a way to toggle field highlighting in forms preferences, no. But there never has been.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure there was... Here's how it looks like in XI:

Snap1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feel free to ignore that. I've always assumed that the "Show border hover color" preference meant just what it says.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you George_Johnson​, this worked. Charlene's suggestion only disables it for the current user, so if say my client opened the pdf they would still see the purple highlights. Very helpful fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you please let me know how can i also remove the colors for my client not just for my desktop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you happen to have a script that will remove the fields when you save as a different file name?  The users want to be able to fill out all or some of the fields and then email the PDF.  They need to be able to see where the fields are when filling it out as some don't have any kind of marker but they don't want them to show when they send it.

Thanks,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the form field properties, where do you paste this script to get the blue highlight to disappear? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for you answers. Went for the Javascript you suggested George. Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 07, 2015 May 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jeady,

George's JavaScript suggestion is a good answer.

You can also turn on form field highlighting via a menu item as you could via the button in the blue bar in Acrobat XI.

In Acrobat DC, do the following:

1. Open your form.

2. Select the Prepare Form tool.

3. In the right-hand pane Prepare Forms tools, click the dropdown for More.

4. On the More menu, select "Highlight Existing Fields" to toggle the setting.

The setting sticks until changed for all forms open in Acrobat.

Regards,

Charlene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats the trick! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks Charlene. Great tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2018 Jan 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing that I wanted was to not have the fields be anything other than white when the user went to print the form after filling it out.  The thing that I wanted was solved by using the "Preferences" screen for "Forms" and changing the "Highlight" color to "white".  I outline the fields with a black line so everyone realizes they are there, but I don't want the non-white background when the form is printed.

Thank you all for your very helpful answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That preference doesn't affect the printed copy. Only what you see on the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fields colors (usually blue) that show in a form are just to highlight on the screen what can be filled in.  They don't print unless you specifically color the fields in the properties window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this thread is marked as answered but I searched the menus and cannot find preferences to change highlighting of the fields.

also think the option to change that colour would be logically found in the field properties - even if it only affects how the form displays on screen.

Also: I would think it was important to mention what settings cause the form to display a certain way on your own device, and what settings guarantee that it shows up the same with any other user.

this may be a doddle to fix for java cracks, but I would have thought these to be basic settings that users without any knowledge of javascript should be able to effect

please help me out of my confusion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you look where I suggested? It should be there... Including the option to change the highlight color.

I agree that it's a poor decision to make it an app-wide setting. It should have been a doc-specific one, or at least there should have been a way to disable it for one document, while not changing the app-level setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly it ! thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to also do this on an iPad or iPhone so that the fields are not highlighted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines