Highlighted

Word table border problems after pdf'ing

Mar 26, 2009

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if this has been brought up before. What can be done about the faint lines that appear in some Word tables that have been pdf'ed? I say some because the problem only occurs in merged, shaded cells. Half the vertical lines of a cell are normal and half are noticeably thinner and print that way. If shading is removed before pdf'ing, there is no problem. Does anybody have a workaround for this other than not shading table rows? I'm currently using Acrobat 9 Pro Extended but it has happened in older versions too. thanks.

Topics

Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Word table border problems after pdf'ing

Mar 26, 2009

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if this has been brought up before. What can be done about the faint lines that appear in some Word tables that have been pdf'ed? I say some because the problem only occurs in merged, shaded cells. Half the vertical lines of a cell are normal and half are noticeably thinner and print that way. If shading is removed before pdf'ing, there is no problem. Does anybody have a workaround for this other than not shading table rows? I'm currently using Acrobat 9 Pro Extended but it has happened in older versions too. thanks.

Topics

Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 26, 2009

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Change the width of the border to 1 pt or change the display resolution in the Adobe PDF printer properties to 300 dpi (maybe 600) rather than the default 120 dpi. Yellow lines are really bad!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2009

Copy to clipboard

Copied

thanks, but I can't seem to find anything called "display resolution" in the Adobe pdf printer properties. I am using High Quality Print and the resolution there (under File Options) says 2400. I changed the borders to one point all around but still the same problem. Can you tell me where to find the display resolution menu you mentioned?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2009

Copy to clipboard

Copied

It is similar on various versions. I will tell you for AA7 that I have on this machine. I go to START>Settings>Printers and right click on the Adobe PDF printer to select the properties. On the General tab, select printing preferences. On the Layout tab select Advanced. Printing Quality is the first item under Graphic items. I set mine to 300 dpi.

This may not solve the problem (I worked with a guy once before on this and gave up after a bit - but I did not drive it into the ground), but at least it gives you something to try. Maybe some of the WORD folks will come by and chat. This is not a new problem and has been pointed out before.

One of the issue is if you are looking at the printout or on screen. It might still print fine or look OK if you zoom. In that case it is likely the sampling done for the 96dpi screen. The lines are typically small (often 1 pixel) and when you look at it with 2400 dpi and put it on the screen, you see almost nothing with the average process that is apparently used to reduce the dpi for the screen. At least I am pretty sure this is basically the issue. The resolution is a different matter.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2009

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for working with me on this. The graphic resolution is set at 1200 dpi. I think the problem has to do with the way Adobe handles shading. You can actually click on a shaded cell with the touchup object tool and move the shaded box out of its cell while leaving the remaining cells shaded. When you move the shaded area of an adjoining cell, the faint and thin upper half of the line that divides the cells becomes thick like the lower half of the line, which is the way it should be. The shaded areas were actually covering part of the line. Again, this problem occurs only in cells that have been merged in Word. I can live with the screen resolution problem but it's inexcusable to have a printed document that contains table lines with two different thicknesses and shades. I don't think there is a solution to the problem. As valuable a software as Acrobat is, something small like this can destroy its worth as far as document production goes. If you have any other suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2009

Copy to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a transparency issue. You might search on transparency, something that Acrobat has not handled well over the years.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
One Stop Solution for Acrobat
Add a group