• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bug Report: Acrobat Chrome Extension does not respect page-specific PDF links

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2022 Sep 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat’s Google Chrome extension is not respecting page-specific PDF links (My specs: Mac Book Pro 2021,  Monterey 12.6, Chrome 105.0.5195.125). This is really bad for my field, since we often have to link to specific pages of Federal Codes of Regulations, legal and public policy docs, etc. by page number. Normally, I can link to an online PDF by page number by adding the suffix "#page=X" after the .pdf at the end of the url. Without the extension activated, it works just fine. But the activating the extension results in the user being taken to the first page of the PDF, which defeats all our efforts in trying to be accountable and creating an online paper trail. I am begging you devs to fix this glitch, because we can't anticipate whether policy wonks will have the featured turned on or off. Thanks for listening.

TOPICS
Share PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff in Boston,

Sorry about the delay in response.

Would you mind sharing more details about the issue?

Was it working fine before?

It would be helpful if you could share the video of the workflow when you open it on Acrobat’s Google Chrome extension and when you open it without the extension. It will help us to understand the issue better.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MeenakshiNegi,

Thanks for responding. I posted a Zoom video illustrating my workflow for replicating the bug in MAC OS Chrome as you suggested. I also asked a relative to reproduce my workflow on a PC to see if it affected Chrome users in Windows, and they said they encountered the exact same problem.

In retrospect, I did not have the proper terminology when I referred to #page=PageNumber as a suffix (Sorry, I'm a graphic designer, not a developer). After reading Wikipedia's article on URI syntax, however, it would seem that Acrobat Chrome Extension preserves the mail URL (behind some encrpyed garble), but is stripping away the fragment component or is failing to pass the fragment component #page=PageNumber as a parameter. I guess the question is does Adobe Chrome Extension hope to support page fragment identifiers in the future? If Adobe cares about accessibility and backward compatibility, I feel that this suppport needs to be built into the extension because if not, it will undo decades of work at the federal and state level in producing page-specific online paper trails intended to demonstrate accountability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MeenakshiNegi,

Thank you Jeff in Boston for following up on this issue. I wasn't able to find where has been anything done by Adobe to recify this, and it is certainly an issue for our site. Is it on any agenda to be fixed in the very near future, please?

We have a 300 page international medical guidline PDF to which we need to be able to add direct URL links from multiple pages on our site, and there is no work around for this issue.

Could you please give an indication as to when this may be addressed. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding my voice as well. Also experiencing this issue and with it to be resolved. I need to link to specific pages of a PDF user guide, but it doesn't work if the adobe browser extention is enabled. dumb. please fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2024 Jan 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MeenakshiNegi Do we have any update on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pruthvi35073619dak4,

Thank you for reaching out.

We currently have no update. However, we will check with the team again. Could you share a sample PDF so we can replicate the behavior on our end? Please also share the version details. 

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I originated this bug report, and created the demo video showing your developers how to replicate the error in clear and precise language. Your team has no reason to dither and delay on solving a situation that effects anyone and everyone who views an Adobe PDF with the in-browser Acrobat app activated. 

I have attached the (508-compliant) PDF that I use in the demo video upthread, though I refer you to the official landing page for the resource portal of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development at this publically facing link (https://www.hudexchange.info/resource/6679/ehv-roadmap-waivers-and-alternative-requirements/), so you understand the scope of audience and urgency of the matter.

It has been a year since I brought up this issue and nothing has been done. You have a great product in Acrobat Pro with all the tools necessary to remediate a document to 508-compliance, but integration with the in-browser app leaves a lot to be desired from an accessibility point of view and this is inexcusable behavior from an industry leader in accessibility products. Thank you for listening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jeff in Boston,

Thank you for sharing the information. We will report it to the team and share this information for further investigation. We appreciate your patience. 

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources