• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Prevent Adobe acrobat reader from uploading my pdf?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I just found out that Adobe Acrobat Reader has been uploading my pdf into their cloud without my consent?

How can I prevent this for happening?

and

How can I safely remove all the pdf that they have been storing on their cloud?

This is very concerning and I'm sure not many people is aware that this is happening

Thanks

Using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC version 2017 (fully updated)

MacOS High Sierra

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marcosa,

As per the description above, you want to disable the online services/features in Adobe Reader DC to prevent saving the documents on Cloud, Is that correct?

You can visit Acrobat.com https://cloud.acrobat.com/ to manage all your files in the cloud. You can delete, move, and upload files directly to  the Acrobat website.

You can also use the Adobe Customization Wizard DC on both Reader DC (Classic or Perpetual) versions.

Adobe Customization Wizard

You can also use the Windows Registry to turn these services OFF. Services integratio

Link: http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/PrefRef/Windows/Workflows.html?zoom_highlight=Web+...

Hope this helps, and keep us posted with the results.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear AnandSri,

Thanks for your answer but is not very clear.

My question is very simple, how can I prevent  Adobe Acrobat Reader DC from uploading the PDF I see using your software?

There should be a quesiton during install that will ask me permission to take control of my files or an option on settings to prevent this from happening.

Im on a MAC computer, I tried using the Adobe customization wizard but I couldn't understand how it will help me deactivate this funtion.

Please your urgent support as this is extremely concerning.  Please understand that your software is amaking a copy of everything I see on my pc without my permission.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2023 Sep 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't help and they got some nerve.. im.ready to drive 30 min to san Jose and wait in the parking lot. They have cost me two fu....n days of work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marcosa,

To prevent Acrobat Reader to upload PDF on Document Cloud, you can refer to the links which are shared above, and the steps are similar in Mac machine for the Adobe Customization wizard.

There is no such option available during the installation to prevent Adobe Reader to upload PDF files.

If you want the feature, you can use the below link to request the feature: Feature Request/Bug Report Form  Link: http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

For Mac OS, you can download the Adobe Customization wizard from ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/mac/AcrobatDC/misc/

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2017 Nov 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AnandSri,

Thanks for your reply. But I have not been able to solve this very concerning situation.

I downloaded the latest version of the  Adobe Customization Wizard for Mac OS from ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/mac/AcrobatDC/misc/

When I run the program I get these options, none of them makes any reference to stop Uploading PDF's to the cloud.

The HELP button  wasn't very helpfull as it directed me to Acrobat-Reader Enterprise Toolkit Home and I couldn't find a solution.

And I couldn't find any info on the other link Preference Reference for Acrobat and Adobe Reader  to avoid uploading of Pdf into the Document Cloud.

AnandSri​ Can you please reply with a step by step guide for MacOS  on "How to stop Adobe Reader from uploading the Pdf's that I see"

Thanks in advance

Marcos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have encountered the same issue with my upgrade to Adobe Acrobat Pro 2020.  I view the implementation of the document cloud on my computer without my consent as comparable to taking my car for a drive without my permission or walking into my home without my permission.  It is such a profound invasion of my privacy.  I hate to admit this but I believe Adobe and other Tech giants' willingness to violate my constitutional rights needs a class act lawsuit and need federal laws to make such impositions illegal.

Further, I don't appreciate my time being wasted dealing with this type of Peeping Tom programming.  It should also be a violation of HIPAA because about 60% of my PDFs are related to Personal Health Care Information.  It is so hypocritical to require commenters be "kind and respectful" when Adobe's implementation of the document cloud feature against users will is anything but kind and respectful.

Adobe, please send out a simple, plain language update to make it easy to not be part of your enforced Big Brother-like inclinations.

Sincerely,

NP Dr. Olivia Young, PhD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. This is absolutely ridiculous and an invasion of my privacy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens when you use the Acrobat Online Services.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. It is ridiculous that Adobe is violating customers' privaciy in that way. The option to disbale the uploading of documents to Adobe Cloud should be clear, stright forward and offered to customers every time they want to convert a document to PDF or from PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without uploading documents you can't use the Online Services.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen and halleleuha. Adobe: Keep your hands off of MY files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Marcos,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your query. The Acrobat or Reader will not automatically upload your PDF files unless you choose to save them on Adobe Document Cloud by saving them on Document Cloud or clicking on the Upload icon available in Reader.

If you still want to disable the option, then you have to create a plist, I have sent you a private message to create the plist, please check your email inbox.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LIES.

I just went to open an .ai file in acrobat, and it proceeded to upload the AI file. Even tho it was saved with PDF compatibility, so already had all the information needed to display it.

WHY IS THIS EVEN A THING.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, Adobe are a disgrace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been extraordinarily disappointed in the fact that Adobe software engineers have done everything possible to prevent people from keeping their Adobe files only on their local machine.

Every link I have tried has sent me in circles, wrong addresses, etc.  Why in the world should you have to download another "Software Wizard" in order to do this? I have spent over 45 minutes trying to solve this problem, and have gotten nowhere. If you'd like to see your product in action, learn something, you should have a "regular person" sit down at a computer, and try to solve this problem themselves - watch them struggle endlessly trying to fix the issue.

I have been writing software code in C+ for the past several years.  I am an educated user. It is unthinkable that your software GUI does not provide a simple button witch says the following:

"Prevent ALL files from being Uploaded to Cloud"  Yes, on the TOP BAR, where everyone can see it.

Do you not understand that many State Revenue Departments in the United States use the adobe format to create, store, and produce documents?  Many employers producing tax payment instruments (in Adobe Format) may inadvertently be having their employee tax records sent to your cloud for storage, without their knowledge or consent. These records use each employee's Social Security number for tax payment identification. And guess what, can you Prove your cloud storage has never been hacked?  All of these problems could be avoided if you would simply place a GUI button as I have listed above IN THE ORIGINAL SOFTWARE.  It's interesting what you can hide in a little abbreviation "DC" at the end of a name. You should rename your software "Adobe Acrobat Reader DOCUMENT CLOUD"  which is what it does, by default.

Or how about this ONE LINE software code, which provides a message box with the following text:  "Thanks for sending these Adobe files to our cloud server storage!"  Is that too much work effort for your software writing crew? That would really get everyone's attention, but of course you would never want to do that. 

There may be millions of Americans whose tax records are inadvertently residing ON YOUR SERVERS.  I am concerned that you're setting yourself up for one of the grandest class-action litigation's ever.  What is the actual percent of human resource employees, responsible for doing paychecks, that actually knew this was happening?  These forums inadvertently are providing wonderful documentation for class-action law firms. They are showing how difficult you make it for the average person to make a small change.  Be responsible, rewrite your graphic interface and allow users to make the change quickly and efficiently. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have these same problems and an HORRIFIED that Adobe just swiped my files, and will not let me put them BACK in Word, where they were until I allowed an update, unless I PAY for the service which I did not ask for, and do not want.

HELP! I want my files back.

HELP! I have already had to trash some documents, which I can scan again (some 47 pages, some less) but have already lost a lot of time, and will have to spend MORE time fixing it.  

How can I get the files now kept in Adobe back into Word?

How can I stop Adobe from swiping whatever I upload/scan/save?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree completely. I saved a file and it went tot he cloud I did not open the file from the cloud, i did not create a new file either. I opened a file on my computer did a save as and it saved to the cloud.

I have never created an adobe cloud account, never gave permission to Adobe to save my documents to its cloud. I am a government contractor and would never want this feature as it opens me up to a world of hurt if Adobe's cloud gets hacked. No one is going to care that I did not move a file to the cloud consciously but rather because Adobe has made decisions for me.  

Registry hacks are not acceptable resolutions and the wizard is for createing a new installer, I am installed. So this "fix" is go and create a new installer and then uninstall and reinstall? That is also unacceptable to me as a general user who expects Adobe to be a mature and responsible company. 

Not a single customer of mine would find this a reasonable feature or solution to a feature that they did not ask for or want.

I also do not feel it should be on the community to go in and request a feature to remove a feature that they did not ask for.

Please provide a resolution to this issue that is not a registry hack or the creation of a new installation package, would your grandmonther be able to do that? Why would you expect her to do either of these "fixes"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you use the document cloud services the documents must be transfer to the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not wish to use cloud services. I do not wish for the cloud services to be default or even an option for saving my files. Adobe has no need to store, review, track or mine my documents for information. Simple.

I wish that Adobe had a way to disable this "feature" that did not require so much effort. This is fairly straight forward and if you google this you will see that I am not the only one who feels this way.

Adobe can offer the service and folks can use it but if you do not want to use it you should be able to disable it and it should not require a sysadmin, a custom install or a local administrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't sign in at Acrobat Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  do not wish to use cloud services, I do not wish to be corralled by adobe to duplicate filing that I already have provision for, and access to without them. I did not ask for adobe to do this and I want it stopped. I want my Files back without any further Adobe interference. Can I simply delete the app? What will happen to the files of mine they stole?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am very VERY unhappy with what has happened with my files.  Many that were accessible are now swiped into Adobe and they will not let me get them back into word unless I pay - for my own files!
How can I undo this "update"?
Your Adobe DC has taken over even files I made last year.  It is horrible. I do see how I can stop it for future, but how to get the past ones back? I have already trashed many documents which I will have to spend time re entering now.
I have read your forums, and the idea of this Wizard and it is exhaustingly tiresome to consider.
I feel cheated, as I was completely NOT informed this would or could happen.

This might have worked:
Resolution
  1. Open Adobe reader DC.
  2. Go to Edit > Preferences > Security (Enhanced).
  3. Uncheck Enable protected mode at startup and press ok.
  4. Re-open the document from connected desktop and you will be able to save without getting the save as dialogue box.
Those were offerings and I could access them.

But THIS: People also ask

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think your situation is completely different from the above. It's a simple issue of file type association. And no, Adobe does not "hijack" your files in exchange for payment. That's what ransom-ware does.

Anyway, is what's happening that you double-click a Word file and it tries to open it in Reader (and then fails)?

If so, assuming you're on a Windows machine simply, right-click the file, select Open With, then Choose Default Program, then select the application you want to use (presumably Microsoft Word), tick the box to always open this file type with the selected application, and you're done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not on windows. Thanks for interest. On Mac.
--
Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources