• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are there any single line fonts on Adobe Fonts?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

I'm searching for single line fonts on Adobe Fonts and can't find any. Am I doing something wrong or is there none? I need a font to prepare an engraving.

Thanks in advance!

Nico

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

All the fonts are OpenType and I don't think single line fonts actually exist in OpenType form. It's always a filled shape. May be wrong though.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the fonts are OpenType and I don't think single line fonts actually exist in OpenType form. It's always a filled shape. May be wrong though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, Test Screen Name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Engraving? Do you want to set an outline of the text (no fill, just outline? This example is from Adobe Blue Book at 97:

/Helvetica-Bold findfont
30 scalefont setfont

/oshow %stack: (string)
{ true charpath stroke }

def

(String to print) oshow

showpage

Combined with a .N setgray in a gsave/grestore pair, it is hugely useful for engraving/signage, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, thank's for your replay. Yes, engraving with a Shaper Origin. Simply said, I am looking for a way to generate the "center lines of a font". So that each letter consists of individual lines, not an outline, not an area.

Sounds very interessting to me. But I don't understand where to put the code. And what is the Adobe Blue Book? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same question but for different usage. I need to be able to get 1 single line from a font, so not an outline and I need to do it in photshop. I tried to do stroke in the middle, but that doesn't work. I searched for a full day and could not find the answer. Did you have nayluck, other than downloading single line fonts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marieke, no, I didn't found a good and efficient solution using just Illustrator. Meanwhile I bought six fonts from www.singlelinefonts.com. I use it with FontLab Pad (free) to convert text to SVGs and then import the SVGs into Illustrator. This is the fastest and easiest way I have found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, ok, thank you. I really want to pick a font first and then create a single line path. I am surprised this information is not available, it shouldn't be too hard to automate this. You would just need a stroke through the middle of the font. I can't believe with the option to Stroke a path in Photoshop, this is not an options in Photoshop. Why would we be forced to draw something that's already there. I attached an example of what I am making, but this is still an outline instead of a single path

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Relief Single Line Regular is the only one I have found so far. https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/relief-singleline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was searching for a similar font for the exact same reason not but 6 months ago, and found some paid fonts available elsewhere on the web. But, recently, I just found a couple fonts in the Adobe Font Library that, when expanded, render as single open lines (no closed shapes at all), which can be followed by the CNC device of your choice:

Relief Singleline

Lingua Light

The first is open source, and the second is avaiable for free use through the Adobe Fonts Library.

Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently searched for the same thing, and I stumbled on this post after finding a solution, so I thought I would post it here for those looking. I stumbled upon one on Adobe Fonts called Relief SingleLine. It has a monoline option and an outline option, and it displays correctly in Illustrator. I don't know if there are any others out there, but I hope more people make these kinds of things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2023 Oct 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative choices in typefaces will be pretty limited if someone is confined to using a limited number of faux single line fonts. It's not very difficult to edit letters from various typefaces to turn them into single line paths for various purposes (making tube patterns for neon signs, engraving, etc).

The best way to do this is starting out with the thinnest weight of a desired typeface. There is a growing number of type families that have ultra thin "hairline" weights. Variable fonts with both width and weight axes can provide a lot more creative flexibility.

Using path editing tools (such as the Scissors tool) break open the anchor points of a closed letter path to get rid of the line segments that aren't needed. I like to keep the line segments that match up with the cap height line and baseline. Use the Join command, alignment commands and blend operations to fill gaps. In some cases, like a letter "S", some manual drawing and path editing will be required. The process isn't time consuming if all one is doing is building a couple or so words.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines