• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't find helvetica neue font in typekit

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PSD that uses helvetica neue heavy and helvetica neue light.  However, these exact fonts are not listed in Typekit but it's an Adobe font.  Is anyone able to get these fonts with the "portfolio and or performance" plan?  If not would you recommend that I buy the fonts from fonts.com or a similar seller?

Thanks,

Steve

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Hi poeticArt,

Adobe does not bundle any version of Helvetica with any applications. Nor is it available via TypeKit.You can find the alternative for Helvitica from Adobe Typekit.

Photoshop uses the operating system fonts. Windows does not have Helvetica, Mac OSX does. Therefore it will show up in the Mac version of Photoshop.You might have used it as well.

You have to purchase it separately and install it yourself in Windows or get a Mac.

Refer How do I get "Helvetica" fonts for free when I use ind

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi poeticArt,

Adobe does not bundle any version of Helvetica with any applications. Nor is it available via TypeKit.You can find the alternative for Helvitica from Adobe Typekit.

Photoshop uses the operating system fonts. Windows does not have Helvetica, Mac OSX does. Therefore it will show up in the Mac version of Photoshop.You might have used it as well.

You have to purchase it separately and install it yourself in Windows or get a Mac.

Refer How do I get "Helvetica" fonts for free when I use indesign by the creative cloud?

Regards

Sarika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Sarika.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what that means

"You can find the alternative for Helvitica from Adobe Typekit."

What is the alternative?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the confusion - we have a list of Helvetica alternatives that are offered on Typekit. You can find that here:

Alternatives to Helvetica | List | Typekit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Molly. That helped a lot.  I'm using Nimbus Sans now, which seems to be pretty close to Helvetica Neue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I would expect from this useless reply by adobe is that. You can use ........  as an alternative to Helvetica!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any plans for adding Helvetica and Helvetica Neue? 90% of all the work I do uses Helvetica Neue. An "alternative" won't suffice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Need Helvetica Neue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully agree. That is absolutely absurd for Adobe to cut out Helvetica when it is the MOST used font. So many of my clients have this as their brand font and there is NONE of them would be okay with using an alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you MUST have Helvetica then a Mac is a good investment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not own the Helvetica typeface or have any legal rights to bundle it into the Adobe Fonts service. Helvetica is now owned by Monotype, due in part to Monotype acquiring Linotype in 2006. Linotype had the rights to Helvetica many years prior to that and developed the Helvetica Neue family in the early 1980's (via Stempel AG, a Linotype subsidiary). In recent years Monotype developed and released static and variable versions of Helvetica Now.

Adobe would have to make some kind of deal with Monotype in order to include any of the multiple versions of Helvetica available in digital form, be it the original 1957 cut, the 1980's neue versions or the recent now versions.

Nimbus Sans is a pretty close imitation of Helvetica Neue. Numerous other Helvetica clones (or Helveti-clones) have been made over the years, such as Bitstream's Swiss 721 family or Compugraphics' GC Triumvirate.

Monotype has around 40 or so type families hosted on Adobe Fonts. Two families are related to Helvetica. New Haas Grotesk is a revival of the original cut of Helvetica from Max Miedinger. New Haas Grotesk was the typeface's original name before it was renamed "Helvetica." Then there is New Haas Unica, which is a cross between Helvetica and Univers. I spent $100 (introductory price) buying a copy when it was first introduced. It's a little annoying spending money on commercial type only to find the same type families available on Adobe Fonts months or years later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems these curated lists do not exist anymore on Typekit. Does anyone know if they have been moved elsewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andi,

Currently, these have been removed from fonts.adobe.com. We're focusing on Font Packs going forward. Are there any specific Font Packs you'd like to see?

Cheers,

Benjamin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Benjamin,

thank you for your explanation. It was a very helpful way of finding fonts for the quite typical scenario, that I receive files (Illustrator, Cinema 4d, etc.) from a designer, and will do an animation for the client. Oftentimes there are fonts used that I don't have and cannot price in, but having a similar font will do the job. So it was great to have an approach via "alternative to ...". For me it was the ease of use and the time saving, since I do not know the alternatives by heart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to see a Helvetica Neue Typekit. Does Adobe understand the cultural implications of stopping access to one of the most influential typefaces ever cut?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully agree. That is absolutely absurd for Adobe to cut out Helvetica when it is the MOST used font. So many of my clients have this as their brand font and there is NONE of them would be okay with using an alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Adam24192741zvfv

Again, Adobe does not own the rights to any version of Helvetica. So it's not really up to them to "cut out" Helvetica from the Adobe Fonts service. Adobe and Monotype have to agree to some kind of a deal in order for any versions of Helvetica to be carried on the Adobe Fonts service. Monotype might be hesistant to do that since the various Helvetica type families have been steady money makers in the commercial fonts industry. I just looked at MyFonts' Top 50 list of Best Sellers. Currently at #1: Neue Helvetica. At #4: Helvetica Now. At #10: Helvetica. I'm kind of surprised to see New Haas Unica and New Haas Grotesk Display in the Top 20 (at #13 and #14) since both are available to sync at Adobe Fonts. Those two type families are Helvetica-adjacent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact Typekit, with its position and access price, doesn't include such a staple font is scandalous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SO what's the alternative to Helvetica Neue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, what are the alternatives to Helvetica? I can't fint that. This is very frustrating. I'm going to have to change a font just to update an existing design that will be reprinted. Really unhelpful. 
Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're looking for the old curated lists, try the Wayback Machine at archive.org

The latest list of alternatives for Helvetica, from July 2018, were:

Acumin Pro | Nimbus Sans | Pragmatica | Runda | FF Dagny Pro | DejaRip | FF Basic Gothic Pro | Proxima Nova | FF Meta Pro | JAF Facit | Myriad Pro | Adelle Sans

https://web.archive.org/web/20180703235509/https://typekit.com/lists/alternatives-to-helvetica

Other old font lists can be found here:

https://web.archive.org/web/*/https://typekit.com/lists/*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you land on the Wayback page for an old URL, just click the date of the last save and it'll pull up a copy of that page. It's not an obvious process.

One drawback for these purposes: none of the old fonts work for Wayback. So you get no preview for the fonts listed - you have to search for them by name on the current Typekit page. But it's a start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this. For the benefit of others, of this list the first one I had that looked like a match in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (64-bit) for HelveticaNeueLT W1G 55 Roman was Myriad Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not having Helvetica continues to be a HUGE issue. Helvetica has been the default font used on so much creative over the years, there's tons of artwork that was set in Helvetica and Helvetica Neue. Not having Helvetica Neue on Typekit is a HUGE disconnect and something Adobe needs to correct. They sold everyone their font CDs years ago, and not to have those same fonts available on Typekit has been and will continue to be a HUGE problem. I'm sure it has something to do with paying the type foundries royalties or some other sort of financial decision. The bottom line is, I have YEARS worth of creative with tons of Helvetica and Helvectica Neue typesetting. Helvetica was and still is a terrific font for blocks of dense text and legal copy in documents. The Helvetica Neue kerning pairs were also much better than the base Helvetica, so tons of people migrated to Helvetica Neue when it was introcduced. Adobe needs to add all the fonts that they origanlly sold on their CDs onto Typekit. Not doing that is a HUGE disconnect to their business and supporting their long standing and LOYAL customers... It shouldn't matter if they make a couple nickels less on some of the fonts, do the right thing and add all the fonts. Why should we have to settle for "alternatives"? Stop messing around, add the Helveticas to Typekit, and in fact, add all the CD fonts to Typekit! They're "oldies but goodies," and a vast majority of the Adobe Community needs those fonts to get our work done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines