• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converts Math to SYMBOL which is not pastable

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because the text is saved to SYMBOL it is rendered utterly useless (if I switch font, I lose the content), upon conversion to Word, Excel, or PowerPoint. Thus pasting this to my classroom platform requires I retype everything, which was why I bought the Adobe : to AVOID retyping. Sorry, but useless.

David B. Cohen, Math Teacher, Austin, TX

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

If you are looking for our assistance (rather than just venting), it would be helpful if you provided some detail about exactly what you are trying to do with what here.

For example, you state “the text is saved to SYMBOL” but don't advise us as to what text in what application you are referring to and exactly what do you mean by “save to SYMBOL.” Is SYMBOL a font name? A file name? And what are you converting “Word, Excel, or Powerpoint?” What is the “the classroom platform” to which you refer? And finally you state that you “bought the Adobe” but Adobe is a company name, not a product name.

Again, if you want assistance, we need a specific, detailed workflow description including all products used, platform, and if we correctly assume this is a question about fonts and/or encoding, what fonts and/or character sets are involved.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SYMBOL is indeed a font, so Adobe delivers 

6n £ 18

rather than 6n < = 18. I cannot type the proper one symbol for less than or equal to here, but other conversions show the coefficients, variables, and constants in this inequality as just boxes:

Others conversion experiences in adobe are rendered as images, which of course cannot be considered a conversion to text at all.

Respectfully,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Conversion to Word Symbol Font.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks for the details.

You are creating an equation in Microsoft Word. The ≤ character you type in word is apparently formatted with the Symbol font. OK. Note that normally one would absolutely not use the Symbol font for this in Word. That character with its proper Unicode position is in the standard Windows systems fonts such as Calibri, Arial, Times New Roman, etc.

The question is exactly what you mean by “Adobe delivers?” The Symbol font you are using is not provided by Adobe nor is it an indirect Adobe product. What do you mean by “others conversion experiences in Adobe?”

Are you using Adobe Acrobat with Office to create PDF files? If that is what you mean, I've created a Word document and did a Save as Adobe PDF from Word using Acrobat's PDFMaker facility. The resultant PDF file is correct.

Word (.docx):

Snag_6b849c3b.png

Acrobat / Reader (pdf):

Snag_6b865ab4.png

I am trying to help, but please more detail about what “Adobe” aspect of your workflow you are referring to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your questions, Dr. Isaacs,

To be clear, I spent over $100 for the Teacher's edition, expecting to be able to take pre-existing Math worksheets and convert them to Word, for my students to be able to answer directly on the Word document during these unprecedented times. I appreciate your ardor in trying to assist me in converting from a pdf to a word document, and I have made every effort not to need to retype all of this work into the word document once Adobe Pro for Teachers "converts to word." 

Since it is the conversion process, and not me, make the conversion to a Symbol font, I still have the need to retype the conversion below what is rendered to Symbol font (by Pro, not me). What is desireable and would save me hours of retyping, is that Pro would convert to a usable font like Calibri, or even more usable, to Cambria Math. To date, I either get a conversion to Symbol font in Word or an image (which is not text at all by definition).

You can understand my frustration, if you then take the next logical step within Word, which is turning the "text" from Symbol to a font like Calibri: Boxes, squggles, and wingdings. These are unreadable to both myself and my students.

I would be happy to mail you the rendered Symbol conversion so you can try that for yourself.

In online platforms, copying from Symbol into a platform like Schoology or Google Classroom turns the "converted text" into unreadable boxes, squggles, and wingdings. I hope this helps disambiguate my experience. Thanks again for your follow-up questions.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Part of the problem has been you have been talking about Adobe which is not a product (it is the company name and we have very many products) and you really mean Acrobat. At least that is what I think you mean.

And if I understand you correctly, what you are really trying to do is to convert content in a PDF file to Microsoft Word format via the export function. Is that correct?

Success in exporting from PDF really depends quite a bit on the “quality” of the PDF file and what created it. If the PDF file wasn't properly created with encoding tables or it uses some non-standard internal character encodings, they symptoms you describe will occur.

I will gladly look at such a PDF file if you can share it with me and see what the real issue is. I'll send you an e-mail in a few minutes with my e-mail address such that you can send one or more files to me as attachments for me to analyze.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It has been more than a week, and i was just prompted by an Adobe Support Community Mailer: "Did you get the answer you needed?" To clarify, Acrobat Pro converts my Acrobat pdfs into Symbol font in MS-Word or as an image, which is by definition not text.
Dr. Isaacs has been kind by providing me with an email to which I sent the source of my Acrobat pdfs (https://www.kutasoftware.com/freeia2.html) and my conversion results. I know we are all more than busy, (e.g., tackling the demands of teaching high school math on-line).

Did anyone else want to try achieving a more Calibri or Cambria Math font conversion/resolution? Otherwise, I stand by my original assertion of having purchased Pro with no benefit achieved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines