• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font used on the Chicago Northwestern railroad cars.

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm searching for a font used on some Chicago Northwestern railroad cars.  I don't know the name of the font, or if it's even available to download on Adobe Fonts.  Here's a photo (just the top 3 lines of text).  This railcar was built in 1976.  Thank you.IMG_8922 full crop for font.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They look like physical stencils (sheets with letter shapes cut into them, then painted over). They could have been in use since before computer fonts were invented, and would have been stamped out in a factory, probably based on handmade designs. There ARE plenty of stencil fonts for computers that give the same idea, but they won't be identical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you for the help! I'll check the stencil fonts on Adobe Fonts for
something similar, doesn't need to be identical. I'm guessing there are
also plenty of sources within the railroad history community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines