Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

itc stone serif pro medium

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm not a font expert. I'm currently looking for a good font for my dissertation document. By checking on an online website that identifies the font of a document I upload I've been trying to identify a font on a book which I really like. The result of the identification was itc stone serif pro medium. At least a priori it looks like a pretty nice font that could help my purpose. Apparently the font was developed as part of Adobe quite a while ago, but it doesn't seem to be part of the Adobe package anymore. Anyone has a hint on this? Is there anyway to get it through Adobe? Or anyone who could suggest a rather similar font within the current Adobe fonts?  Thanks a lot!!

TOPICS
Missing font

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

The original Stone Serif font family was in fact developed by Sumner Stone who in the past was a type designer for Adobe.

The Stone Std family is part of the Adobe Font Library that is available as part of the Adobe Font Folio 11 product. It is not a font that is available via the Adobe Fonts service. And Adobe never offered a “pro” version of that font with an extended character set.

Doing a web search can indeed yield a number of font foundries offering licenses for one or more of the ITC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original Stone Serif font family was in fact developed by Sumner Stone who in the past was a type designer for Adobe.

The Stone Std family is part of the Adobe Font Library that is available as part of the Adobe Font Folio 11 product. It is not a font that is available via the Adobe Fonts service. And Adobe never offered a “pro” version of that font with an extended character set.

Doing a web search can indeed yield a number of font foundries offering licenses for one or more of the ITC Stone Serif fonts; if you are doing a publication such as a dissertation, you would likely need the matching bold and italic styles as well.

One thing you should check first. Many universities have very strict rules in terms of style and layout requirements for dissertations including which fonts are acceptable. Make sure that you have checked and understand those requirements before falling in love and paying for a license for a font that might not be acceptable to your university for your dissertation. 🙂

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Dov,

Thanks a lot for the clear and detailed answer!

Fortunately I don't have a font limitation in that regard so I'd be free to use this one or others eventually.

A pity this "family" is not available through the regular Creative Cloud / Adobe Fonts service.

Might I ask perhaps if you would suggest another interesting font in the style of the Stone Serif? (I'm still in the lookout - I've been relying on Cambria for a while but it looks a bit too harsh for me at the moment, and Baskerville looks very nice but perhaps a bit too "literary".)  

Thanks again and kind regards,

Gabriel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do agree that Microsoft's Cambria is fairly harsh.

Personally, I would recommend Minion Pro or Minion 3 (an updated rendition of Minion Pro), Adobe Original font families that are available via the Adobe Fonts service. They are of the same basic style of serif fonts as Stone Serif and have not only a wide selection of glyphs and styles including bolds and italics, but are exceptionally readable both in print and on the screen. In my long career at Adobe, I have been honored to have known both Sumner Stone (ITC Stone Serif and ITS Stone Sans) as well as Robert Slimbach (Minion, Myriad, and many other Adobe type families).

Let me know what you think! And good luck on your dissertation.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for the advice!

It does look nice, a bit more on the side of Baskerville, which I also like, but with more "presence" (I'd say in my untrained vocabulary).

I'll give it a try.

Kind regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am new here, so not sure if this is the best way to ask the question.

Would you have any recommendations for an Adobe Fonts service font that is similar to ITC Stone Sans?

Thank you in advance.

Yvonne Johnson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines