• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No more Charter ITC - so what now?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe/InDesign says that starting in 2023, it will no longer support tType 1 fonts such as Charter ITC, which unfortunately is the main body text font in the newsletter I design. I understand, change is necessary amd we have to adapt. However, it would be helpful to have some guidance on finding a font to replace this old workhorse. Charter is very readable and attractive.

And so I spent this afternoon activating and trying out numerous serif fonts in Adobe Fonts, but all of them change the look and feel and none is quite right.  I tried Googling "Charter ITC is similar to .... ", etc. to no avail. 

Any advice?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Adobe are getting rid of the type 1 format, but any popular font will have been available for years in OTF format. Certainly, Charter ITC is sold, here: https://www.fonts.com/font/itc/itc-charter

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe are getting rid of the type 1 format, but any popular font will have been available for years in OTF format. Certainly, Charter ITC is sold, here: https://www.fonts.com/font/itc/itc-charter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'd be happy to fork out the money to save some headaches, but I need the whole Charter ITC family. Total cost: $240. I am still looking for a similar font from Adobe. Calluna from Adobe Fonts)is pretty close except for the old-style numerals.. Annoying! Still looking...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you know who you originally licensed the Type 1 Charter family from, you may find that if you go back to the same vendor or foundry, they may offer you a special price for upgrading from Type 1 to OpenType.

Try that before trying to replace one font family with one with very different characteristics.

In any case, if you can license an OpenType version of ITC Charter, even at $240 it may be less expensive than the cost of your time which I am sure is worth something!

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines