• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Subset Variable Font

Contributor ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to use a Variable Font on a website, but I don't need all the axis or weights provided in the Variable Font. (For example I don't need the width axis or the lighter and heavier weights) Rather than have to use the complete font, which is a massive file size, is it possible to subset the Variable Font, so it only includes the axis and weights needed?

If not how can I request this feature?

UPDATE

Google Fonts allows the user to subset Variable Fonts – the axis used and the parameters within an axis. So for example, just the Weight axis and weights between 400 and 700. This would seriously reduce the often massive file sizes of Variable Fonts.

Can Adobe Fonts do the same?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's feasible within the realm of the licencing system in Adobe fonts (the subscribtion model)

However you may want to ask to the invid=vidual foundry of they have a non-variable option for the same font or a way to disable certain features. Variable fonts are not "drawn" they are computed. Meaning the variation option is done by chganging features within the font itself (a bit like a .svg is a series of mathematical equation writen in code)

Do you know which font is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes the particular font I have in mind in Acumin. The variable font is a whopping 640kb. A 'static' Acumin font file is about 16kb. So to get any performance benefits of using the variable font I'd have to be using 40 versions of the static Acumin!!

Acumin Variable Font has three axis: weight, slant and width. I don't need the last two, so I was wondering if it is possible to subset a Variable Font, so that it only included the axis that will be used.

Surely this must be possible? Adobe Fonts already allows subsetting of the Character Set (Language subsetting and OpenType features). So why not the axis?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's one of the very few typefaces developped directly by Adobe.

Maybe you can try to ask directly in the website?
https://www.adobe.com/products/type.html
(adobe font is just the distribution arm of the fonts)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Adobe Fonts there is the option to do Language and OpenType subsetting - regardless of the type foundry. I was hoping there would also be the option to do variable font axis subsetting - to reduce file sizes. Alas this doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm not sure if this is possible in Google Fonts with the variable fonts they provide. The documentation isn't clear

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See my update to the opening post:

Google Fonts allows the user to subset Variable Fonts – the axis used and the parameters within an axis. So for example, just the Weight axis and weights between 400 and 700. This would seriously reduce the often massive file sizes of Variable Fonts.

Can Adobe Fonts do the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines