• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Media Encoder Preset Bug - Proxy Preset with modified resolution doesn't stick to clips in queue

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello friends, 

I am an editor and director and have been using Premiere to edit documentaries for nearly two decades.

Trying out the new Beta vesrsion of Media Encoder to generate some proxies today, I ran into some issues. First, I want to say that I love the design of the new GUI. At least my first impression was that it's clean, minimal and utilitarian. I find it promising after years of bypassing Media Encoder and opting for third party apps like the bygone Mpeg Streamclip for batch transcoding. Great work on the design! 

So, the bug. I loaded a bunch of clips into the queue, dragged and dropped. They're MXF's in 4K (4096 x 2160) shot on a Canon C70. I didn't see a proxy preset to suit my needs, so after some poking around, decided to creat my own. I selected ProRes 422 Proxy. I wanted to make them half the resolution of the original (for speed and efficiency). There was no option to simply make them a half or quarter resolution (a handy feature which other transcoding tools offer), so I manually input the 2K resolution -- 2048x1078. Had to google an aspect ratio cheatsheet which took a minute because I think in aspect ratios not resolutions. So once I have the preset, I apply it to all clips. This was also a challenge for whatever reason. H264 was the default applied automatically to my clips when I dropped them into Encoder, and rather than replacing H264 with the new preset, Encoder creates an additional export setting -- presuming I want H264 AND ProRes Proxy. I can't figure out how to get rid of the H264 setting, so I delete the entire batch and start over.

Reimporting clips this time, they automatically adopt my user Preset. I still found that presumptuous of the software, but fine whatever. I hit the export "play" > button--not quite the skeuomorph I associate with transcoding. It's more like baking cookies but... okay. Halfway through the export, I check the preview and and notice that the clip it's generating is 4096x2160. I think this must be a mistake. I must have done something wrong. Indeed, the clips were all exported at 4K with the correct Prores proxy codec. I went back to try and replicate the bug, and was able to gain some insight. I was able to replicate it. I believe that the default "match source" for resolution, which is locked by default, somehow overrided the preset. After a few tries, I got the resolution preset to actually stick. It required unlocking "match source" on the source clip and re-appllying the preset. 

A note on the UI flow. Almost 80% of the time that I am transcoding, and I would imagine its the same for most editors, I am down-rezzing footage, either for proxies or to export for vimeo or instagram. Constantly going from 4K to 2K to 1080p. And given all of the resolutions and aspect ratios out there, it's easy to mess up the calculation. Having the ability to apply "half" or "one quarter" of the source resolution to a clip is one of the most useful features imaginable and saves time and hassle. Also, applying multiple settings to a batch of clips with ease is essential. Media encoder is one of the few transcoding tools I have ever used that seems inclined to want the user to apply multiple settings to a single clip as a default. In the course of testing this out and troubleshooting, I accidentally applied two settings to one clip a number of times, and found it painfully difficult to workaround. There should be a button to enable or disable multiple presets for a given clip. I wish that I could disable that mode entirely for my own purposes. Okay. Thanks for listening! 

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Bug , Error , Feature request , Feedback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
3 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your detailed report. Let me try and repro your issue…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried the general Proxy workflow on macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 (MacBook Pro 16", 2021, M1 Max, 64 GB RAM) using Adobe Premiere Pro 24.3.0.59 and Adobe Media Encoder 24.3.0.49 and it worked for me. Also you suggested things like "Half" resolution.

That should be in your AME 24.3.0.49 builld:

Bildschirmfoto 2024-04-09 um 13.32.55.png

How did you create your custom preset? Can you create screen recording of your workflow and send me your ingest preset?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What Ecki said, the fractural resolution proxy is something we have just recently added and it seems to match your needs. Now, we do the math for you and you just decide what kind of proxy fraction you want to transcode to. In order to do so, you must open the create proxy dialog from Premiere and then PPro will launch AME to create the proxies. Also note we do support H.264 in MOV now which is perfect if you want a slim proxy without loosing multichannel audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Resources