• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DISCUSS: Automatically shut down the computer when the AME render queue is complete

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can now choose to automatically shut down your computer when the entire Media Encoder render queue is complete.  Check the option at the bottom of the queue. 

FrancisCrossman_0-1631817158950.png

This is useful to save energy by powering down the system after a long overnight render job for example.  Media Encoder will issue the shutdown command to the OS, but other apps could still interrupt the shutdown process at the OS level, so be sure to quite those other apps.  This option is sticky, meaning it will still be checked the next time you launch Media Encoder.

Be careful testing, because . . . your computer will shut down . . . which is the intention of course ðŸ™‚

This feature is available in AME beta 22.0 build 89 and later.

We want to know what you think.  Please join the conversation below.

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This option is sticky, meaning it will still be checked the next time you launch Media Encoder.

By @Francis-Crossman

IMHO this option should not be sticky.

I use this option in Macrium Reflect sometimes, not always, when i do daily backups and it´s a great feature and it´s great that it comes to AME. But since it does indeed shut down the computer without questions it has the potential to ruin things/work. That´s why i think this option should not be sticky.

Make it "un-sticky" as default and add the option to make it sticky in the Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a totally fair point @Averdahl. I tend to agree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2021 Sep 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, don't make it sticky.

You're doing some other work and AME is running in the background, and all of a sudden your machine dies...........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just following up on this thread:

The option is no longer sticky. I do like the suggestions about providing the option to make it sticky and the Handbrake-like menu. We probably won't get to those items in the first version but I appreciate the ideas. 

Thanks!

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make it a dropdown menu with multiple options like HandBrake does:

GammelSami_2-1636816572354.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 16, 2022 Jan 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had never seen that option before.  It would be better if it would sleep rather than shut down.  Or provide the option for action after render queue is finished, with sleep/shutdown an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am using AME version 22.2 built 64. If my version is more updated than your AME beta 22.0 build 89. I should find such option on my window

AME 22.2.pngno shutdown button.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the latest version of now.

AnnBens_0-1649408830548.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

On version 22.4 build 53 where can I find this feature?

I'm on OS Monterey 12.4 if this is of importance.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been months since this was announced, is it ever coming to the regular version of Media Encoder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Francis! it may be great for those macbook users but it's not for imac's because i may accidentally check the option and I dont want to shut down so I can continue working. Maybe in appearance panel on preferences window would be great to show or hide the option. Tks! Sorry for my english! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature is now shipping in v22.5 of Adobe Media Encoder. More information is available here: https://helpx.adobe.com/media-encoder/using/whats-new/2022-2.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would like to see an option to suspend/sleep system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, I never shutdown, only sleep my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the benefit of that, versus an operating system sleep setting? Not disagreeing with you, just interested to get your perspective. 

Regards,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently, if you're rendering a long queue of clips and have sleep enabled, the machine will sleep even if the render queue hasn't completed.  You have to turn off sleep so it'll finish. Then this feature will shut down when it's done.

But I'm like Elarj and Michael, I never shut down the machine, I let it sleep, so technicaly, if they could fix it so it stays awake while rendering, we wouldn't need the "shutdown after render" function.  It would just sleep on schedule after it quits.

I've already filed a bug report. Has it been addressed???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. 

I don't think we've been able to reproduce the problem where during rendering the machine sleeps. How long is your sleep time set to on the computer and how long are the renders (roughly)? 

Regards,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Above I wrote that I suggested adding a check item to enable or disable (show/hide) the shut down option. Because sometimes I unintentionally activate it and I don't want it to turn off. Also, it activates sometimes with the spacebar.

I even attached a photoshop edited image in order to show what this option would look like. This is a fake image of course. Its attached. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi!

Shut down vs sleep...

I use sleep because it wont close all my apps etc. When I start working, I wont have to boot and load all the programs and so on. Wont lose working time that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources