Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AME Target / Maximum Bitrate question

Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to render a 20 second sample video using the Adobe Media Encoder 2015 CC Youtube 4k preset. The target and maximum bitrate displayed is both 40 but the output file ( if I right click and then properties ) only showed 16,000 kbps? Why isn't 40,000 kbps? I also tried using other presets and custom ones, whenever I put 16 bitrate the output file will only have 7,000kbps. Am I missing something? I wanted the bitrate of the video to be high like 45,000, I am using the same 20 second video in all my tests.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

I think that explains it then - a still background will compress easily and the compressor it not going to use more data than needed to compress that frame at the desired quality. A still image can only look "so good" and increasing the bitrate won't make it look better.

EDIT: I should add that often times when setting up an encoder as VBR, it will ask for Min-Avg-Max values. However, the H.264 encoder only asks for Target and Max. That doesn't mean there isn't a lower figure it will use though.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the content of the clip - motion video, or stills/graphics? If the latter, it will compress very well and maybe that is why the file is smaller.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The content is just a still 1920x1080 photo with a music and a visualizer (audio spectrum). The composition is 1920x1080 60fps. It's just a simple background with a music and I wanted it to be like about 50mb bitrate in 4k.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think that explains it then - a still background will compress easily and the compressor it not going to use more data than needed to compress that frame at the desired quality. A still image can only look "so good" and increasing the bitrate won't make it look better.

EDIT: I should add that often times when setting up an encoder as VBR, it will ask for Min-Avg-Max values. However, the H.264 encoder only asks for Target and Max. That doesn't mean there isn't a lower figure it will use though. If you are encoding a black screen, or similarly simple content, it is not going to use Target to encode that. It will encode at a lower bit rate that suits the content. I believe if you select CBR, then you can dictate a Constant Bit Rate that will even apply to still frames. Give it a try if that is your goal.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines