• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export a PNG Sequence in Adobe Media Encoder with a transparent background

Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm rendering a rather large video file in After Effects, with effects on top of green screened elements, and it seems like I'm runnning into a lot of bugs with the Primatte Keyer plugin. So, I've been rendering the green screened elements out as PNG seqences through After Effects' render queue.

The problem is that the AE renderer (while faster than AME) is much flakier, and crashes every few hundred frames. I render to PNG sequence, and pick "RGB+Alpha" in the channels dropdown.

Where is this option in Media Encoder?

It looks like I get the option to pick " render Alpha Channel only", and "include Alpha Channel", but in both cases I get a solid black background, and not a transparent one.

I've included 2 shots of what I'm seeing in AME, and 1 shot of what I have in After Effects.  I'm basically pre-rendering a PNG sequence to put back into the larger working file so it's not referencing the actual greenscreened effect and crashing, or glitching the render.

TOPICS
Export or render , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022
  • Alpha Only gives you a black and white image that can be used as a Luma Track Matte.
  • Rendering with Alpha gives you an RGBA file but the Media Encoder preview will see a black background. Previews will also show a black background unless you are using an app that will show a transparency grid. If you import the rendered image sequence into After Effects, you should have transparency. You should also be getting a color image.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Alpha Only gives you a black and white image that can be used as a Luma Track Matte.
  • Rendering with Alpha gives you an RGBA file but the Media Encoder preview will see a black background. Previews will also show a black background unless you are using an app that will show a transparency grid. If you import the rendered image sequence into After Effects, you should have transparency. You should also be getting a color image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so it DOES give me a transparent background, but doesn't show me with the checkerboard in the preview.

Does that also apply to the previews and thumbnails in Finder? I would have thought all PNGs get treated the same once they are exported with a transparent background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The app you use to look at a file with RGB, and A channels determine whether or not you can see or use the transparency. Most apps and all common media players do not support Alpha Channels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, got it, Thanks!

I finally cleared off the rest of my render queue and got around to trying this, and yes, I do get a PNG sequence with a transparent background, even though the AME preview doesn't show it. It shows up as transparent in my other apps as well...
... is this a bug?

The checkerboard pattern is the visual language every other Adobe program uses to show a transparent background, but here (when I'm exporting a PNG sequence of black shadows) it shows that transparent background as solid black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is not a bug. The media encoder preview does not have a transparency grid. Most apps that will preview images do not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines