• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Media Encoder Exports empty MP4 and XMP file?

New Here ,
Jan 01, 2017 Jan 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep trying to export a h.264 but AME keeps exporting an empty mp4 and an xmp file. Is there any way to merge the two or fix the issue? 

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export or render

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Natassjaj,

Please attach a screenshot of the export settings.

Are you able to encode your video to other formats?

Make sure that you have enough space available at the export location.

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.
It's not the first time it happen.

I sent two projects from AE, it rendered the first video and the second one too but the file is 0 Ko.
The render took 6 hours, so if there is a way to find the temp file somewhere in the PC I would prefere this solution rather than spending 6 more hours...

Thank you.

Flo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, having the same issue.

When exporting to H.264, Facebook 720p, media encoder spits out an .MP4 file that won't open as well as a .XMP file.

When I export to H.264, Mobile Device 720p, it works, spitting out a readable .MP4 file.

This just started happening, tried exporting with the FB 720p preset last week and it worked.

Please see below export files from both attempts as well as the warning that pops up when I try to play the empty .mp4 file

Screenshot 2018-12-11 12.43.55.pngScreenshot 2018-12-11 12.43.42.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I' ve got the same problem. when exporting media enounter devides it in mp4 and xmp? I never had that before. It was just the mp4 file. Now I can't open the mp4 file anymore?

Screenshot 2018-12-21 at 09.51.18.pngScreenshot 2018-12-21 at 09.51.04.pngScreenshot 2018-12-21 at 09.50.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2018 Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact issue. Been at this for two hours trying different combinations, new projects, etc. Nothing works.

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2018 Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going to add I tried switching from Mercury Playback Software only to CUDA and it did no good either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having this issue with an AE project. ME saves a 0kb .mp4 and an .xmp file. Other export codecs work fine, and other AE and Premiere projects export h.264 fine. Plenty of drive space, cleared media cache. Restarted computer. Tried hardware accelerated and software only rendering. Exported to ProRes 422, and it worked, then added said ProRes file to ME to export h.264 and it failed again.

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 2.46.08 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 08, 2019 Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, how are there so many people with this same issue and no response at all from Adobe in two years?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kulpreet,

This is clearly still an issue for people, and the two-pass "workaround" is not a good option when there is a large amount of footage involved. Has there been a fix found since this thread started two and half years ago?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here.

working with some hundred clips, interviews, 4k, sony a7s2, 24p + h4n audio.

I faced a (LOT OF) BIG problems in penultimate version of premiere. among others... in proxy edition the 4k frame was not matching with the proxy file (in camera proxie files with same lenght and same timecode, not those a7s2 with problems). so i started to work with resolve to deliver my jobs.

installed the new version (13.0.2 build 38) so... I thought that would test if the bugs were corrected...

I'm beginning a new project. the camera crew did not made in camera proxies. I set to premiere/ame to do the 720p proxies directly through right click- proxies - create proxies - the 720p preset. the first 40 files are ok. than all m4v+xmp+crappy mp4.

restarted the computer, tried again just to see what happens next. again, at some point AME stops working properly and deliver m4v+xmp+crappy mp4.

really... I will not even try to edit it with premiere. I wish to because I really miss the dynamic link and essential graphics. resolve means that I MUST export each lower third I gonna use. not mentioning that i got to understand/learn the software. but premiere is not reliable. this is the first bug I've found in the very beggining of my work. don't even wanna know what will happen when the project grows complex.

set up:

notebook i7, 16gb, radeon

system ssd, 2tb 5200 rpm media cache (internal) and 2tb usb3 drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tryed to do the proxies overnight but faced the problem again. As far as dozens of files were converted until the problem began, I disconnected the notebook from the second hdmi screen and put it aside to export the proxies, working in my jobs with another computer and monitoring the export at every couple hours.

And everything went fine. More than 120 files converted to 720p proxie with no further problems in 5 or 6 hours. In the first try 40 files were converted. Overnight just 38. So I assume that it's a bug related with Screensaver running for a big amount of time (my notebook just turn the screen off) or with the extended monitor.

As far I know, 2 hours are more than enough to convert 40 2 minute 4k files. So.. To me.. Looks like this problem have something to do with dual monitor workflow.

Everyone here are using another monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problem here.

In one AME render session with the AE projects, a couple videos rendered correctly and then, for the rest queued jobs, I ended with a several MP4 0Mb + XMP 4Kb files.

Restarted comp, cleared AE cache files, changed the target folder (a path no more deep than about 20-30 characters) - nothing helped.

Suddenly AME starts to render correctly when I try to render files to the HDD root folder.

After that I was be able to render to any folder path correctly.

Pretty weird thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I was having exactly the same issue. And after trying what felt like everything I noticed on my export settings the "Source Range" (on the left hand side underneath the preview). Was set to "Sequence In/Out" which was causing issues because I must have started the project with a weird source file.

When i changed this to "Entire Sequence" it solved the problem for me. Might be a different cause for you but thought i'd share anyway!

Cheers! George

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing your experience. However, it didn't work for me when I changed that setting.

Do I have to reinstall everything to get it to work? Adobe, help! It was working fine yesterday!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Any solution from Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem suddenly crop up. Changing this setting fixed it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disclaimer: IDK why or how this worked but after a couple of hours of troubleshooting I realized that deleting ALL my audio tracks and exported and exporting without audio -and not just muted as this didn't work for me, but I completely remove the audio tracks it exported so I started adding random tracks and anything past 1 the first track (didn't matter what audio files I used) it would export the same and empty .mp4 and the xmp (I guess metadata is turned on by default on the latest update you can turn all metadata off at the bottom of the export setting window); so what worked for me was nesting all audio tracks this seemed to export as normal again ... far from a normal workflow (what a pain, tnx adobe!)

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing, but nesting all audio didn't work for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. I've exported over 80 sequences/videos from Premiere, but for some reason one sequence renders out an empty mp4 and xmp file.

My thought it that it's with the actual video file that I'm exporting. I'll report back with all the solutions everybody here suggests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found the solution. When you set 2 passes it works. It takes more time but quality is better and you can set the queue for the night without worring of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 passes worked for me! Not a complete fix but least i can get the project fnished.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is this the only solution that worked?!!?!?!?!?! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 2 pass worked for me. Also I moved the project from my Mac to my PC and it rendered out flawlessly with 1 pass and everything.

Again, it was only isolated with this one project, and this ONE single video file I was using. It rendered out fine with 80 other videos.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem more frequently. One time creating a new sequence and copying everything into it worked, but no longer. It will export properly as a Quicktime file for example, but that's not what I need. Other sequences in the same project with the same footage export fine. Also trying to use AME to convert a .mov to a .mp4 produces the same empty mp4 and .xmp. I've tried everything I can think of. Is there any real solution out there? It's ridiculous to be on deadline and not be able to deliver a project for a client because of this!

Mac OS Mojave 10.14

Premiere v. 13.1.0

destination has 1 tb free space

not using dual monitors (as another user suggested)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines