• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Media Encoder Freezes During Render Export From After Effects

Contributor ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to render a 10:16:18 After Effects (v22.2.0 (Build 120)) project with Media Encoder (v22.2 (Build 64) and without exception, it freezes at some point along the way. The interface continues to work, I can pause or stop the encoding but I cannot get the project to complete. 

I have searched the problem and it seems that this is an issue with different versions in the past I have tried many of the suggestions made in those posts (except downgrade to MEv12).

I tried uninstalling Creative Cloud and chose "Repair" instead. After restart, the freezing continues. It was suggested that I change the renderer, but I am using the recommended Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (Metal)

Here is the AMEEncodingErrorLog.txt from the last failed attempt;

- Source File: /Volumes/Working Drive/After Effects Projects/220218 Aquarium Calm/220218 Aquarium Calm_AME/tmpAEtoAMEProject-Aquarium Calm 10 Minutes_3.aep
- Output File: /Volumes/Working Drive/After Effects Projects/220218 Aquarium Calm/Video/Aquarium Calm with Audio v1.mp4
- Preset Used: Custom
- Video: 1920x1080 (1.0), 24 fps, Progressive, 100 (63% HLG, 51% PQ), Hardware Encoding, 00:10:16:18
- Audio: AAC, 320 kbps, 48 kHz, Stereo
- Bitrate: VBR, 1 pass, Target 10.00 Mbps
- Encoding Time: 01:02:06
03/09/2022 03:17:21 PM: Encoding Failed
The Operation was interrupted by user

My System Specs;

Model Name: Mac Pro Big Sur v11.6.4
Model Identifier: MacPro7,1
Enclosure: Tower
Processor Name: 16-Core Intel Xeon W
Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 16
L2 Cache (per Core): 1 MB
L3 Cache: 22 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 96 GB

If someone could offer a suggestion on how I can render this project, I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you in advance.

TOPICS
Export or render , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your Mac falling asleep at some point? I remember hearing screensaver/power saving can force AE to pause and never recover. You can try disabling all power savers and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. The big selling point behind Me over rendering in Ae is that I am supposed to be able to continue working in Ae while the version renders. In these cases, I have continued working and would occasionally look to see the progress. I can see when the progress bar stops and the timers stop changing, indicating the process has frozen. Thank you for your suggestion, but I don't think that has been a factor in the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you rendering to an external drive? I wonder if you're overloading the throughput of the drive and it's unable to resume from that point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thank you for your reply. I am rendering to a 1Tb SSD that is connected via a Thunderbolt 3 cable. Would you imagine that I need something faster? What could I do to speed up the throughput?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's certainly better than the USB 2.0 devices I see people connected to on the regular. I'm guessing the footage you are editing is also on that drive. So you're effectively using twice the bandwidth on your render, as well as any additional bandwidth while continuing to work on in AE.

You could try rendering completely local (to your desktop) to ensure your drive isn't bottlenecking you, and I would also try rendering without working in the BG to see if that could be the issue. 

Please note I'm not offering these suggestions as solutions, only as troubleshooting steps to get to the bottom of this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply and suggestions. I will look at my project file locations to see if that may be a factor in the next render attempt. Have a great day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same issue on my M1 MacBook Pro. Sometimes when I send stuff off to AME it doesn't even appear in the queue. I've tried several of the workarounds as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 12, 2022 Mar 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thank you for looking at this post.

Trying to better understand why I am having this issue; I looked a little closer at my setup.

1. My project files are on an installed 8Tb SATA drive with 50% room left available. This is not the boot drive but is inside the Mac Pro. (Promise Pegasus J2i 8TB Internal Storage Enclosure for Mac Pro)
2. The external 1Tb SSD is the scratch disk.
3. I am writing the .MP4 to the same internal SATA drive as the project files.

When it was suggested that there could be a bottleneck with the transfer to the SSD, I looked closer at that drive. It is a scratch disk for all my Adobe apps and has separate folders for Ae and Pr. I do get occasional warnings from Ae that my cache does not have enough available space. I usually go Edit>Purge>All Memory and Disk Cache to correct the issue.

Cache Warning.png

But I wondered if maybe there was something wrong with the SSD itself that could impact this problem and I used Disk Utility to have a look. I started with running First Aid on the SSD. It would not unmount for the first aid, there was an application still using the drive. Looking at Activity Monitor I noticed “aerendercore” was (Not Responding). Although both Ae and Me were closed, there was a remnant of the render remaining in the CPU’s activity. It is possible that quitting Me when the render froze, did not quit all the processes associated with the render. I forced this process to quit and ran first aid, the drive was fine.

aerendercore.png

I reformatted the SSD scratch disk to remove all folders that the other apps may have used. I launched Ae and, in the Media & Disk Cache preference, increased the Maximum Disk Cache Size to 900GB since it was a 1TB drive. I received a warning that there was not enough space on the drive for that cache size. I tried 750GB, the error occurred again. Ae was happy when I set it to the original 500GB. I am not sure why Ae does not like taking all the space available to it, the drive was freshly reformatted?

Disk Cache Pref.png

Once this was all finished, I restarted Ae. This time it seemed to take a really long time to launch and I could see the spinning beachball of death. I checked the Activity Monitor and it showed Ae as unresponsive. I waited a little longer and it completed the launch but returned an error “Unable to execute script at line 29, a does not have a constructor” I dismissed the warning and Ae started up but did not go to the “Home” screen to select the project I wanted to open.

Ae Start up.png

No Constructor.png

I decided to upgrade to the latest version of Ae 22.2.1 (Build 3). It seemed to start as expected however, it produced a disk cache error. It would seem that software upgrades do not remember the disc caches settings and I repointed this to the SSD scratch disk.

Disc Cache error 2.png

Next, I tried to render my project again.
1. Energy saver was set to never turn the display off.
2. The screen saver was set to off.
3. I did not do any work on the computer while it was processing.

It froze again.

03/12/2022 10:11:57 AM : Queue Started
- Source File: /Volumes/Working Drive/After Effects Projects/220218 Aquarium Calm/220218 Aquarium Calm_AME/tmpAEtoAMEProject-Aquarium Calm 10 Minutes_5.aep
- Output File: /Volumes/Working Drive/After Effects Projects/220218 Aquarium Calm/Video/Aquarium Calm with Audio v2.mp4
- Preset Used: Custom
- Video: 1920x1080 (1.0), 24 fps, Progressive, 100 (63% HLG, 51% PQ), Hardware Encoding, 00:10:16:17
- Audio: AAC, 320 kbps, 48 kHz, Stereo
- Bitrate: VBR, 1 pass, Target 10.00 Mbps
- Encoding Time: 00:43:23
03/12/2022 10:55:24 AM : Encoding Failed
-------------------------------------
The Operation was interrupted by user

Failed second attempt.png

The Activity Monitor shows the “aerendercore” as functioning however I watched the processing time indicators and they did not change for 10 minutes before I ended the process.

I quit Ae and Me and the “aerendercore” is still appearing in the Activity Monitor.

Failed second attempt Ae and Me quit.png

Render core force quit.png

Any suggestions on what else I could try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What file system format is your external drive formatted in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

APFS Volume • APFS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines