Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Media Encoder Output... Footage is squished

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there everyone

I'm outputting a video from AE through media encoder. The video is 1180w x 530h.

The media Encoder preview looks fine, but when I export, it looks squashed.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks a lot!

Export Preview:

Media Encoder Preview.jpg

Actual output:

Output.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Aspect.jpgAspect should be 1.0, not DV PAL 1.09 - your pixels are not square, and the player software assumes 1.0 aspect, thus the stretched look on playback.

Why the strange frame size? 1180x530 is not a video standard. 720p would be 1280x720, or 1080p is 1920x1080. What is the destination for the completed clip?

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aspect.jpgAspect should be 1.0, not DV PAL 1.09 - your pixels are not square, and the player software assumes 1.0 aspect, thus the stretched look on playback.

Why the strange frame size? 1180x530 is not a video standard. 720p would be 1280x720, or 1080p is 1920x1080. What is the destination for the completed clip?

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your help Jeff

The reason for the strange frame size is that it's for the top banner on my website... not very experienced in video at this point!

This is really helpful though.

Out of curiosity, does a video have to conform to one of the 'default' aspects?

If not, is there any way to keep it in proportion if I had to? I filmed it at 4k on an iPhone then edited and resized in in Premiere to 1180x530.

Thanks again

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I managed to solve the problem using your advice Jeff.

I want back into Premiere, changed the width to 1280 (leaving the height at 530), wit into sequence > sequence settings, changed the Aspect to share pixels and re-exported through Media Encoder from there.

It came out in perfect proportion.

Thanks again for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad things appear to be working for you, but I still question how you arrived at the initial odd sizing. 4K video (UHD) is 3840x2160, which is 16:9 so you can put that footage into a 1080p or 720p Sequence in Premiere and right-click and choose Set to Frame Size and it fits perfectly, with same 16:9 proportions - it scales down with no cropping or squishing. And with current settings you are using, some part of the original image has either been cropped off - or there is some squishing/stretching going on.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason I cropped it down from the original footage was because it's a banner video that runs on my site. I didn't want it to fill the screen or be too tall so people could see that there was something beneath it. I wanted to give it a more 'letterbox' proportion. You can see what I mean here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I purposefully clipped it by resizing the frame size in Premiere, so there is some 'hidden' footage beyond the frame, but as it was purely for aesthetics and the purpose of adding movement to the site, I didn't think it being an odd size would occur to many people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines