Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Media Encoder render CPU core usage

New Here ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I read many posts on this forum in Media Encoder CPU usage (50% instead of 100% for exemple), but I never read about optimisation.

So, I got two questions :

1. What is the maximum number of CPU cores that Media Encoder supports ?
  2. If I have to do two equivalents renders, what is it the best :
    • make my renders one after the other in a 20 CPU cores
    • make my renders alongside on two 10 CPU cores

Tell me if you need more informations

Thanks !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made some render test on different servers.

For a 3 minutes video with 2 quick fast-forward and contrast / level / luminosity filters.

On server with 18 CPU Cores :

- render with After Effects (through x264 encoder) : 18 min

- render with Media Encoder Youtube 1080 preset : 25 min

On server with 8 CPU Cores :

- render with After Effects (through x264 encoder) : 19min40

- render with Media Encoder Youtube 1080 preset : 28min30

On server with 4 CPU Cores :

- render with After Effects (through x264 encoder) : 20min20

- render with Media Encoder Youtube 1080 preset : 44min

CPU usage during tests :

- 18 CPU : all cores at ~18%

- 8 CPU : all cores at ~30%

- 4 CPU : all cores at ~55%

My question : how can I improve render time ?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just tested a transcode from Phantom4 Pro 4k H264 to Cineform 4k on 3 different machines in the office. 4790k 4c/8t 4ghz was the fastest. 8c/16t 3.6ghz  Ryzen 1800x next fastest. Xeon 24c/56t 2.2ghz slowest. What?! How do we get AME (Adobe Media Encoder) to use all available resources so we can offload transcoding to the most powerful machine? We are looking to invest in a dual AMD 7401 server for 3D rendering and I was hoping to use it to transcode also. With 96 threads it should blow through this, but our finding is that AME prefers clock speed over cores. Any thoughts or help appreciated. Willing to use alternative software as long as we can still use Cineform.

Interestingly, on the 56 thread machine, the cpu usage on the shamefully low 12 threads it was using, was only about 30% utilization.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a solution for this, I’m just looking at this exact problem rendering out 4K footage and getting different opinions on what to buy?  I have been looking at a Z840 36core machine for rendering but your saying this isn’t the best option? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi coreyr70589253

Unfortunately there is no "solution". After much testing and reading, it turns out AME pretty much maxes out at 6 cores 12 threads. The perfect CPU for this right now is the 8700k since it has the fastest core clock speeds. We ended up getting the i9-7940x as our editing workstation because it supports 128gb ram which we frequently use in after effects and 3D rendering as part of our pipeline. Check out Puget systems' articles for a very in depth comparison of adobe suite vs each CPU. Disappointing from Adobe's part in my opinion. There's no reason in today's landscape of CPU cores that we shouldn't be using all that available horsepower. Again, I can't recommend any CPU above 6 cores/12 threads for adobe workload. The faster the CPU clock, the better your experience will be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines