• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Media Encoder stuck at 100% while exporting HEVC 8K UHD

Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently on Version 15.4 (Build 42), but this is an issue I have had for months.

Basically I have a very large 8K HEVC (main10) video I am trying to export with a target size of around 256G (the max upload to Youtube). The media encoder took about a day to render the file, and then when it reached 100%, it just got stuck there. No CPU/GPU, but it does have about 5.5MB/s harddrive activity. I looked on the hard-drive and there is an intermediate file of approx 250G in size with the extension mkv. In the past, with smaller files, I simply waited a long time and then the mp4 file was finally written/closed, but this time.... it has been at 100% for about 6 hours. If I take the 250G and divide that by the rate 5.5MB/s, that indicates to me that maybe I have a 14 hour total wait for it to do whatever on earth it is doing. Also, previously when this encode was taking a long time, I took that intermediate file and then used ffmpeg to add the missing audio track to it. In the currently case however, there is no audio.

My previous workaround has been to export in prores, and then use ffmpeg to convert to HEVC, but ...goodness gracious, there must be something wrong with my setup, surely?! Any help or explanation is appreciated.

Windows 10 Pro 21H1

128 GB

RTX 3090

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X 64-Core Processor 2.90 GHz

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export or render , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: It finished after approximately 12 hours at 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have this issue with new HEVC encodes as of today's date and whatever versions of Media Encoder are current as of today's date, I am going to assume that it is a known issue and that Adobe doesn't really know how to respond to it. Judging by the unresolved concerns of people who have noted similar issues, it clearly is not on the list of priorities of Adobe.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workaround is to use ffmpeg to get the job done, and not AME. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm going to post another reply here to emphasize my frustration at this obvious issue that many people have reported on, and Adobe doesn't really seem to care to resolve.

AME has been rendering a Premiere Pro project for me to HEVC, and after 14:39:22 rendering time, it has "frozen" at 100%. When I look in the output folder, I see a temporary MKV file and a temporary AAC file. At the same time, I observe an approximate 12 MB/s disk activity on the drive where the final output file is being written. (There are no other processes active on that volume). So, doing some simple math I am going to estimate that AME will be "stuck" at 100% for approximately 6 hours, because that is how long experience has shown me that it is going to take to combine the MKV and the AAC into the final MP4 file. Or I could use ffmpeg to get it done in a few seconds.... How big a company is Adobe? Isn't this embarrassing to have a situation like this? I'll report back when the final MP4 is written out in a few hours, and just for fun I'll time how long it takes ffmpeg to do the same thing. Stay tuned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines