• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

NVidia GPU-accelerated H264-encoder plugin, ready for public testing

Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have written a 'proof-of-concept' GPU-accelerated H264-encoder for Adobe Media Encoder (CS6).  It requires an NVidia 6xx/7xx series "Kepler" GPU (CUDA capability 3.0), and uses the dedicated GPU's builtin hardware-encoder (NVENC) to offload the H264-encoding process from the host-CPU.  This software is "proof-of-concept", so it's missing some critical features (no interlaced-video support, no AAC-audio or Dolby AC-3 audio), and of course, it could be buggy!  But it's free.

!!!! Disclaimer: NVENC-export is third-party software that is not supported by either Adobe or NVidia.  It comes with no warranty -- use at your own risk.

Software/hardware Requirements:

(1)Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 or Media Encoder CS6 (Windows version)

Sorry, MacOSX is not supported. (NVidia NVENC SDK doesn't support MacOSX.)

(1)NVidia Kepler GPU <GKxxx> with 1GB VRAM or more  (GTX650 or above, GT650M or above)

(Sorry, NVidia Fermi <GFxxx> is NOT supported, it doesn't have the NVENC hardware feature)

Note,if you have MPE-acceleration enabled, keep in mind the NVENC-plugin consumes some additional VRAM because it uses your GPU to perform H264-encoding.

Strongly recommend a 2GB card

(2) Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 x64 redistributables

(download this from Microsoft's website)

Installation instructions:

In Adobe Premiere Pro CS6:

(1)      On your system, locate the installation-directory for Premiere Pro CS6.

Usually, this is C:/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Premiere Pro CS6

(2)     Copy the included file Plug-ins/Common/nvenc_export.prm

to <installation dir>/Plug-ins/Common/

-> To choose the NVENC-plugin in Premiere Pro,

In the format-menu, select <NVENC_export>

In Adobe Media Encoder CS6:

(1)    On your system, locate the installation-directory for Media Encoder CS6.

Usually, this is C:/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Media Encoder CS6

(2)     Copy the included file Plug-ins/Common/nvenc_export.prm

to <installation dir>/Plug-ins/Common/

-> To choose the NVENC-plugin in Media Encoder,

in the format-menu, select <NVENC_export>

Performance & quality notes:

(1) How much faster is NVENC-export than Adobe's built-in Mainconcept H264 encoder?

Depends on your PC system.  On my test-system, which is ordinary desktop PC with Intel i5-3570K (4-core 3.4GHz), NVENC-plugin is roughly 4x faster than Mainconcept. On a dual-socket Xeon Ivy Bridge-E system, NVENC would probably only be 2x faster (in Media Encoder.)

(2)How does the video-quality compare?

Comparing similar settings/video-bitrate, Mainconcept performs better at lower-bitrates(less artifacts).  At medium-high bitrates, NVENC is comparable to Mainconcept.

(3) How does NVENC-export encode the video?

The plugin fetches videoFrames from the Adobe application, then converts the frames from YUV420 to NV12 surface-format (using host-CPU.)  Then it passes the converted frames to the NVENC front-end.  From here, NVENC hardware takes over, and handles all aspects of the video compression. When NVENC hardware is done, it calls the plugin to output write the elementary bitstream (to the selected filepath.) NVENC-hardware does NOT encode audio, nor does not multiplex the A/Vbitstreams -- this is still done in software (on the host-CPU)

The NVENC hardware block has very little CPU-overhead.  But since video-encoding is just 1 step in the entire Adobe rendering path, CPU-usage will likely still be quite high when using NVENC-plugin.

(4) What's the maximum-size video NVENC-export can handle?

H264 High-profile @ Level 5.1, which works out to roughly 3840x2160 @ 30fps. (Note the actual encoding-speed will probably be less than 30fps.)

(5) How fast is the NVENC-export hardware in Kepler GPU?

Assuming the Adobe application host is infinitely fast (i.e. can send video to plugin in zero-time), NVENC-hardware will encode High-profile (CABAC, 2 refframes, 1-bframe) 1920x1080p video @ ~100fps. At 3840x2160p (4k video), the hardware encode-speed drops to roughly 20-25fps.  That is still faster than a desktop PC.

NVENC-speed is generally same across the Kepler family - the high-end Geforce GTX Titan (or GTX780) is no faster than the entry-level Geforce GTX650, because all Kepler models share the same NVENC hardware-block, which is totally separate and independent of the GPU's 3D-graphics engine.

In premiere Pro 6, MPE acceleration will greatly affect how quickly Adobe can render video to the exporter.  So a more powerful Kepler GPU will probalby complete projects faster than a less powerful one (up to NVENC's performance ceiling.)  For more info, please refer to NVidia's NVENC whitepaper at their developer website (public)

(6) I have a multi-GPU setup, can I encode with multiple GPUs?

No, NVENC targets and uses only a single physical GPU.  (You can choose which one.)

Known limitations and problems:

NVENC-plugin is a 'proof-of-concept' program -- it is not a finished product.  So it's missing some features, and other things are known to be broken:

• Interlaced video encdoing does not work at all (not supported in current consumer Geforce drivers)

• Audio support is very limited: uncompressed PCM)

no AAC or Dolby-Digital

• Multiplexer support is very limited: MPEG-2 TS only, using an included third-party tool TSMuxer.EXE

no MPEG-4 muxing (*.MP4)

• When the muxed MPEG-2 TS file in Windows Media Player (WMP), there is no sound.  This is because WMP doesn't recognize PCM-audio in mpeg-2 ts files.  You have 2 choices; you can use a third-party media-player such as MPC-HC or VLC.  Or you can postprocess the audio-WAV file into a compatible format (Dolby Digital/AC-3)

• in the pop-up plugin User-interface, the <multiplexer> tab is missing or not shown properly.

(To fix: Select a different codec, then re-select NVENC_export.)

• Doesn't support older NVidia GPUs (GTX5xx and older, GT630 and lower)

Sorry, NVENC hardware was introduced with NVidia's Kepler family (2012)  Anything older than that will NOT work with the plugin.

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 421 Replies 421
Feb 02, 2015 Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NVENC_export Version v1.09 (Feb 2, 2015) is now available -

• [1.09] For Maxwell Gen2 GPUs (Geforce GTX960 and up) - add support for  HEVC Main Profile (YUV 4:2:0, 8bpp)  NVENC HEVC doesn't support some features (for example: no bframes, no interlaced video.)

• [1.09] Add support for another external muxing tool, MKVmerge.  (This is mainly to handle HEVC and H264_HiP444 video, because TSmuxer and mp4box seem to have frame-dropping or random-seek problems with NVENC's output.)

• [1.09] Fix mp4box muxing bug that caused the mux operation to fail (without writing anything) when the output file's dirpath contained spaces.

• [1.09] Hopefully rate-control problems that happen @ 4k resolution.  Apparently, the NVENC driver API needs minQP and maxQP to be turned on for all rate-control modes (you don't need to adjust these, just use the default value of 0 & 51.)

• nvenc_export requires Geforce driver 349.07 (Dec 2014) or later

Download link

NVENC_export Version v1.09 (Feb 2, 2015) - https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B96CRWkNxmWda3B4RnA0MlRWMDQ

• You will also need to download and install the following item from Microsoft:

"Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2013 Update 4"

(2) To enable AAC-audio output, you must download and install NeroAacEnc.

Known problems:

(Same limitations as previous versions.)

(1) In Adobe Premiere CC 2014 and Media Encoder CC 2014, the 'Export Audio' option is permanently enabled.  (This seems to be a problem between the Adobe CC SDK and CC2014;  it didn't happen in last-year's release.)

(2) NVENC does not include built-in multiplexing.  If you wish to output *.TS or *.MP4 files, you must download the third-party tools mentioned above.

(3) If encoding to interlaced-video, you must set the Field Type to Upper First. Other choices will cause the plugin to crash, or generate a bad (unusable) file.

(4) NVENC does not support (AC3) Dolby Digital audio, only PCM.  (If you separately download and install NeroAacEnc, then AAC-audio is supported.)

(5) High_Profile_444 output can cause problems with TSMuxer and MP4Box (stuttering video, or even unreadable video.)  And not all encoder options function correctly in High_Profile_444 (some options are ignored, others cause unreadable output.)

Source code link

This section is only for software-developers who are interested in recompiling nvenc_export.The C++ source-code can be downloaded from the following link

NVENC_export Version v1.09 SRC (Feb 2, 2015) - https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B96CRWkNxmWdSGxXX1pudTEwNzQ

(nvenc_export is distributed under the LGPL license.)

I must apologize for the condition of the source-code.  I'm not a professional software developer, so some dir/paths might not work correctly out-of-the-box.  You'll need to know your way around Windows application development to fix some basic compile environment issues (for example, "d3dx9.h missing".)

Also, you will need the following items (not included in the above link) to recompile NVENC_export:

• Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Pro (with Update 4)

This can be downloaded for free, through Microsoft's "BusinessSiteSpark" program.

• Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)

Download it from Microsoft

• NVidia CUDA 6.5, NVENC 5.0, and NVAPI SDKs

Download them from NVidia

• Adobe Premiere CS6 SDK

Download it from Adobe

(edit fix formatting)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2015 Feb 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I install the new version, Nvenc_export does not show up in presets, but when I restore the old version it shows back up on premiere export options.

Any ideas how I can make the new one show up right?

(edit, fixed by reinstalling vcredist.)

More edit:

Apparently selecting Mkv in premiere and AME do not bring up the proper look for path to mkv program button. Therefore I cannot properly select MKV for multiplexing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2015 Feb 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am stuck.

I have downloaded the v1.09 of the nvenc export plugin, but it isn't showing up in my Premiere. I installed the Visual C++ Redistributable, and moved the plugin into my Premiere folder, but it isn't showing up when I go to export!

System Specs:

Intel i5 4670 CPU

MSi GTX 760 GPU

8GB RAM

Premiere Pro CS6

Any way you can help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2015 Feb 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just install the previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 28, 2015 Feb 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried installing the new preset, (the one that's supposed to fix the problem with not calling up MP4Box after the encode), but after restarting Premiere Pro, it no longer shows up on the export menu. The previous version showed up, but couldn't MUX and the version that supposedly fixes that doesn't even load.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2015 Feb 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NVENC_export do not export black video

02.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 20, 2015 Feb 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About black video export.

Generally it is ignored, unlike audio which export is correct without cutting.

Solution:

If I insert at least 1 null frame at the timeline's beginning (i.e. I shift the first video on a 1-frame-position to the right) then further empty intervals between shots are exported correctly.

But Premiere's object 'Black video' exports with error mess and stoping in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 20, 2015 Dec 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NVENC_export Version v1.11 (Dec 20, 2015) is now available -

• [1.11] Fix plugin's inability to cope with removal of Tiled surfaceformats from NVENC API (and 2015 Geforce drivers.)  Yeah...I should have paid more attention to that...

• [1.11] Add support for RGB32 (32-bit float) Adobe PrPixelFormat (in case Adobe refuses to export in YUV422/444 format.)  This can be manually forced from the user-configuration dialog box, but is not recommended unless absolutely necessary.  nvenc_export will peform a computationally expensive (i.e. slow) software RGB2YUV conversion on the host-CPU.  The RGB2YUV routine will use AVX/AVX2 instruction set (if available and enabled), but it's still slow.

• [1.11] Fix misc user-configuration dialog box issues. (Bitrate sliders not working when NV_ENC_LEVEL_AUTOSELECT is selected, disableDeblock frozen to 0, vbvInitialDelay and vbvBufferSize were restricted to useless low value "999".)  Also, change the default EncodingLevel setting to "NV_ENC_LEVEL_AUTOSELECT" because the configuration dialog-box isn't smart enough to react to the user increasing/decreasing the frame-rate and resolution.

• [1.11] Add dialog-box check to refuse illegal combination of settings: "TSmuxer" with "44.1KHz LPCM audio"

• [1.11] Add the plugin's version# to its Adobe namestring.  This fixes configuration options that occurred when users upgraded from previous releases of nvenc_export, and forgot to delete old saved presets.

• nvenc_export requires Geforce driver 359.0 (Nov 2015) or later

Download link

NVENC_export Version v1.11 (Dec 20, 2015) - https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B96CRWkNxmWdNDVucHU5QkhMWjg

1. You will also need to download and install the following item from Microsoft:

"Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2013 Update 5"

2. To enable stream multiplexing, you must download these third-party tools:

3. To enable AAC-audio output, you must download and install NeroAacEnc.

Known problems:

(Same limitations as previous versions.)

(1) Since Adobe Premiere CC 2014 and Media Encoder CC 2014, the 'Export Audio' option is permanently enabled.  (This seems to be a problem between the Adobe CC SDK and CC2014;  it didn't happen in last-year's release.)

(2) NVENC does not include built-in multiplexing.  If you wish to output muxed files (TS/MP4/MKV), you must download the third-party tools mentioned above.

(3) If encoding to interlaced-video, you must set the Field Type to Upper First. Other choices will cause the plugin to crash, or generate a bad (unusable) file.

(4) NVENC does not support (AC3) Dolby Digital audio, only PCM.  (If you separately download and install NeroAacEnc, then AAC-audio is supported.)

(5) High_Profile_444 output can cause problems with TSMuxer and MP4Box (stuttering video, or even unreadable video.)  And not all encoder options function correctly in High_Profile_444 (some options are ignored, others cause unreadable output.)

(6) The user-sei field isn't inserted properly; sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not.

Source code link

This section is only for software-developers who are interested in recompiling nvenc_export.The C++ source-code can be downloaded from the following link

NVENC_export Version v1.11 SRC (Dec 20, 2015) - https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B96CRWkNxmWdUXRHQWNUclZoS0E

(nvenc_export is distributed under the LGPL license.)

I must apologize for the condition of the source-code.  I'm not a professional software developer, so some dir/paths might not work correctly out-of-the-box.  You'll need to know your way around Windows application development to fix some basic compile environment issues (for example, "d3dx9.h missing".)

Also, you will need the following items (not included in the above link) to recompile NVENC_export:

• Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Pro (with Update 5)

For students attending a participating school, this is a free download.  (Others can get it through Microsoft's "BusinessSiteSpark" program.)

• Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)

Download it from Microsoft

• NVidia CUDA 7.5, NVENC 6.0, and NVAPI SDKs

Download them from NVidia

• Adobe Premiere CS6 SDK

Download it from Adobe

[edit] Change links to direct *.zip download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 21, 2015 Dec 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THAT DID THE TRICK!! (Aka the nvenc_export dialog error won't appear)...HOWEVER, whenever the neroaanc thing ends while exporting, an error pops up related to mp4box...

Nombre del evento de problema:    APPCRASH

Nombre de la aplicación:    mp4box.exe

Versión de la aplicación:    0.0.0.0

Marca de tiempo de la aplicación:    56704de6

Nombre del módulo con errores:    StackHash_6999

Versión del módulo con errores:    6.1.7601.19045

Marca de tiempo del módulo con errores:    56259295

Código de excepción:    c0000374

Desplazamiento de excepción:    00000000000bffc2

Versión del sistema operativo:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Id. de configuración regional:    3082

Información adicional 1:    6999

Información adicional 2:    6999a9797f3b2d2306fa0c5b20cb87ce

Información adicional 3:    2ae0

Información adicional 4:    2ae08980ecb38c0aeda78fd23b7eb192

Lea nuestra declaración de privacidad en línea:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0c0a

Si la declaración de privacidad en línea no está disponible, lea la declaración de privacidad sin conexión:

C:\Windows\system32\es-ES\erofflps.txt

-----

That's the error shown.

Any suggestions?. Also the VisualStudio update says that "Update 5 does not apply, or is blockedby another condition in your computer" ??...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2015 Dec 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GTX680

Loading C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\7.0\MediaCore\nvenc_export.prm

The modification date has changed so the plugin will be loaded from disk.

Loading from disk...

The library could not be loaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 23, 2015 Dec 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried to use the MKV thing  ZiggyGG mentioned, but the thing is that it ONLY exports as MKV (And works btw).. What i want is MP4 to upload stuff on Youtube..And i think MKV is NOT supported on Youtube.

Is there any solution to the Above MP4BOX error?...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I do with the MP4Box is just choose the MP4Box.exe in Multiplexer tab and choose MP4 there.

Next I choose my settings and it works. Nothing extra. No Magic. Plain and simple.

Don't know why exactly same files I use don't work for others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question is...Is your GPAC / Mp4box the 32 or 64bits version..?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 25, 2015 Dec 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find 'Visual C++ Redistributable 2013 update 5' too. There is Update 5 for Visual Studio 2013 that gives an error during installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2015 Dec 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, the "Update 5 for Visual Studio 2013" is the full visual basic software which as i understand is not required,
what is required is "Redistributable" files that are much smaller install and just allow software created with visual basic to run on other computers,

i've actually installed the full (non-redistributable) visual basic 2013, and afterwards you can install the update 5 for the visual basic, but it did not help (and i dont think thats what the developer intended us to install)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

"Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2013" haven't any numeric updates. It's address is Download Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 from Official Microsoft Download...

It's single version. I downloaded it for NVENC_export Version v1.09

Maybe "Update5" it is Download Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Update 5 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Some our theme participants downloaded it as they sayed in the previous posts. But it is the soft for Visual Studio and only for this.

It difficult to invent something else. But NVENC_export Version v1.11 unavailable in Premiere's menu

Maybe another reason exists for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.09 appears in the list of formats without  installed Visual Studio packages

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All is well!!!

But! After rendering in a folder with a prepared video file type appears "0000000002717D00_isotmp", about the same volume as processed video. What is the reason?

Installed:

MP4Box.ehe (gpac-0.6.2-DEV-rev69-gfe38ed8-master-x64)

NeroAACCodec-1.5.1

NVENC_export Version v1.11

Nvidia Driver 364.51

GeForce GTX760

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just started testing this CODEC tonight with a GTX680. Very impressive speeds, but the quality at 25mbps is temporally disturbing. I rendered two copies of a concert, just 1 minute excerpts, and brought them into Encore with separate timelines. I played each one and observed the look. The AME encoded clip looks normal, but the NVENC clip has this odd moire of noise that wipes over the entire image as the camera pans over the orchestra. If I stop and view and compare still frames, both clips look similar, with flat areas being cleaner looking with the AME clip. The NVENC clip has more noise in the flat areas.

I'll have to burn a BD-R disc and watch this on a projection screen to really get a sense of the look at 25/40mbps setting used in the preset. It's a nail biter, because 2X realtime render outs is VERY attractive. I remember 12-16 hour renders for my 100-minute concert video BDs under CS3 and this would make it a 45 minute render.

I also have a question about rendering for other targets, like online videos. What settings are used to create a video that is compatible with Youtube, Vimeo, etc.? The video that NVENC outputs won't play in VLC Media Player (just a black screen and the app hangs). In AME, I just choose h.264 (not Blu-ray) and I can get a compatible file output, but I don't know how to do that in NVENC.

Generally speaking, it works well for experimental software. The artifacts I see are consistent with realtime hardware encoders I dealt with in VHS to DVD copy machines, which is an area with room for improvement. I don't know it that's possible, or a limitation of GPU rendering, but waves of smokey noise moire are noticeable to my eye. If the quality were there, I would be as happy as a clam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just followed the author's instructions for installing the external utilities for making transport streams like MP4 and TS that can be played in VLC and uploaded to Youtube or Vimeo. The AAC encoding goes fine after the main h.264 encoding finishes, but then both files get deleted and MP4Box never launches. So the end result is no file.

I watched the author's install videos and I see he's testing on Premiere Elements, whereas I'm on Premiere Pro CS6. Maybe the code that calls up MP4Box breaks on PPro? I noticed another comment on the Youtube video where someone a year ago had the same exact result as I did. I double checked the export settings to confirm that MP4Box.exe was selected, did another export, but the two temp files get deleted after AACencode does its thing. Puzzled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I just found this thread. any plans on supporting h265?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2013 Aug 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is awesome, keep working on it. I'm trying it out right now, so I'll come back with comments once my test video is done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2014 Feb 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, any chance for a mac version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2014 May 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt here...

After an exhaustive google search which was leading me in circles, i greatfully landed on this thread and have followed everything the best i could (as i read, i downloaded each new version until the very end).  However, i'm having a few difficulties with making everything run properly and so i got my account working here and have come with some questions.  I got the plug-in and other add ons in the correct locations and have pointed media encoder to see everything. However, i'm getting error messages and or the GPU is not being utilized (i've seen a single spike of like 3%.)

I've got the follow specs:

windows 7 ultimate x64

16 GB of RAM

Core 2 Quad

GeForce GTX 650 Ti (768 cores, 2 GB of VRAM)

and PLENTY of hard drive space.

I know enough to get into trouble and know enough to fix it.  But i'm not so good with finally finding a possible solution and just as i taste victory, hitting a dead end. I'm going to be trying a few different combination of settings with the encoding to see if i can't get some sort of GPU response.  I've got the MP4Box on the machine, the NeroAaaEnc thing on the machine and currently installing the visual C++ redistributable mentioned above (googled it to make sure i had it).

EDIT/UPDATE:  5 minutes later, after a reboot and trying a few different combinations, i found one that went through the conversion process well enough. It took media encoder about 5 minutes to go through it (only CPU utilization) and about another minute or so to process the audio.  This is a significant cut down in time from the 30 to 40 minutes i was waiting with to about 7 minutes total.  But, what confuses me is that it didn't touch the GPU, only the CPU.  Is this plug-in supposed to touch the GPU and use more than 3% or just the CPU?

EDIT/UPDATE 2: after finding a faster conversion (its about 10 minutes), MP4Box crashes when combining the files. I moved the exe to its own folder, etc. currently going back to the old method of 45 minute conversions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines