• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why will ME not recognize video?

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I figure out the exact video format of a .mov file and why ME does not recognize the video data? ME shows a dialogue that says "no video" (see attachment) when I know that there actually is.

I have an old Quicktime video from a 10 year old Sony Digital camcorder that will not play video in any Adobe program. Only audio will play. I have tried ME, Bridge, Quicktime and none will recognize the video. I know that the data is there since I can play in VLC Media Player.

What is going on here, why would Adobe not support something that VLC does? How can I find out exactly what the format issue is so that I can proceed accordingly?

TOPICS
Export or render , Formats , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please use the free MediaInfo and post a screenshot the properties of your media in tree view:
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

attachment.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the requested screenshot.

Thank you!

media_format_data.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing the file extension to mpg and see if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that did not work. Does not recognize video in ME or Bridge or Quicktime. Only the audio will play. The only program that reads the video data is still VLC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dion,

I don't think the Apple Intermediate Codec is one that is recognized any more. It used to be used for HDV camcorders. Perhaps that's the camera you're referring to?

I think you'd need to go back to Premiere Pro 12.1.3 with macOS Mojave or earlier for that support. If VLC is still playing it, maybe you are still on Mojave? If so, you may need to export a file from there to get anything working for current versions of Premiere Pro.

Bottom line is that you probably should not be using this camcorder any longer and get yourself a camcorder that gives you more modern files.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, gotcha. Suprisingly I can convert in VLC even though I am using Big Sur but nothing else will work. This is archive footage from a while ago so it just goes to show how important it is to keep track of file formats used for backups.

Thanks a ton!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you use any extensions like YouTube Flash Player, YouTube Flash Video Player, or any others that force Flash on the site, uninstall them because Flash is history on YouTube. Hopefully, that will allow HTML5 playback to work normally.

snaptube vidmate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines