• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A simple rotate function would be great! Often we convert phone footage, ant it needs to be rotated

Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty simple. Adding some rotate function to the crop function would be really helpful....and easy I imagine
Idea Released
TOPICS
General

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Hi all, 

This feature request will be available in the Media Encoder beta this week. More information is in our beta forum here. We're really excited to get your feedback!

As a reminder, it's easy to try a Creative Cloud beta; more information is here

Regards,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022
Hi all,

We're looking into how this feature might work. Christopher Ward, one of the Media Encoder engineers, asked some questions below:

1. Would you prefer a fixed 90 degrees rotation or more granular steps?

2. Also, would you expect the width and height of the exported file to be changed as well or would you prefer the frame size to be fixed and the image to be scaled / pillarboxed? Example: File has 1920 x 1080 (wxh) and the rotated has 1080 x 1920 or still 1920 x 1080 and the image is cut off ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022
Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback on how you'd like this feature to work. We're now actively working on it. I don't have a date I'm willing to share yet for when it will be in betat but as soon as that changes, I will update this post.

Thanks,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Hi all, 

Late update from me on this one but I was just doing some forum updates and cleanup. This feature was released. 

Regards,

Fergus

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
32 Comments
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
To answer your questions:
1. I would like 90 degrees step : -90, 90, 180
2. No scale, We keep original resolution: 1920 x 1080 rotated to 1080 x 1920.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe. Thanks for looking into this. Wow. I posted this idea almost 4 years ago. It's probably more relevant now than it was then. Here's my take on what's required, from a complete solution perspective and why.

Firstly, a simple rotate. I suggest giving us steps...like +90, -90 and 180 etc. I don't think it's going to cause your development staff any headaches to achieve this. This functionality is really just to fix those occasions when somebody has started shooting on a mobile device vertically, but then turned to landscape (for example)..and the clip header is set to the initial aspect.

With all functionality in regards to rotate, the existing crop and fill options should be present, with one addition.

And here comes my second requirement for this feature. Pillar-boxing. When using, for example a vertical clip source, cropped or not, that is smaller than the horizontal width of the target resolution, we should have a third option beyond "Scale To Fit" and "Stretch To Fit". The third option should be "Blur To Fill".

Essentially "Blur To Fill" should duplicate the source (or it's cropped selection) and Scale To Fit it behind the output clip. Adding a simple and fast blur, whilst also reducing the brightness, to fill the empty space....so the "Pillabox" is not black.

Many social video services already have this...youtube for example. It's bread and butter stuff that is used all the time, and the fact we have to create an After effects file to process this is really wasted productivity, in terms of both designer / editor time, and machine time.

I know this is an easy thing to do in AE or PPRO...but in this day and age, it really should be a click and go feature.

Thanks all. I live in anticipation that this will make it to a future release...hopefully faster than another four years. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Thanks for looking into this !

1. 90 degrees for me is a must-have, i feel that if one needs to do some granual editing then they probably would be better off with opening After Effects anyway. That said, maybe 45 degrees increments would be a good middle ground.

2. I feel this only applies for 90 degree rotations. In which case I would want the resolution to "rotate as well" without scaling. If there were to be smaller increments, scaling or cropping should be part of the feature.

TL;DR:
90 degree rotation - YES and without scaling please
Granular steps - Nice to have but seem like a hassle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback on how you'd like this feature to work. We're now actively working on it. I don't have a date I'm willing to share yet for when it will be in betat but as soon as that changes, I will update this post.

Thanks,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We're looking into how this feature might work. Christopher Ward, one of the Media Encoder engineers, asked some questions below:

1. Would you prefer a fixed 90 degrees rotation or more granular steps?

2. Also, would you expect the width and height of the exported file to be changed as well or would you prefer the frame size to be fixed and the image to be scaled / pillarboxed? Example: File has 1920 x 1080 (wxh) and the rotated has 1080 x 1920 or still 1920 x 1080 and the image is cut off or has black bars?

Thanks! We're not committing to delivering this feature but we're looking into it.

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

This feature request will be available in the Media Encoder beta this week. More information is in our beta forum here. We're really excited to get your feedback!

As a reminder, it's easy to try a Creative Cloud beta; more information is here

Regards,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all, 

Late update from me on this one but I was just doing some forum updates and cleanup. This feature was released. 

Regards,

Fergus

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate