• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A simple rotate function would be great! Often we convert phone footage, ant it needs to be rotated

Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty simple. Adding some rotate function to the crop function would be really helpful....and easy I imagine
Idea Released
TOPICS
General

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Hi all, 

This feature request will be available in the Media Encoder beta this week. More information is in our beta forum here. We're really excited to get your feedback!

As a reminder, it's easy to try a Creative Cloud beta; more information is here

Regards,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022
Hi all,

We're looking into how this feature might work. Christopher Ward, one of the Media Encoder engineers, asked some questions below:

1. Would you prefer a fixed 90 degrees rotation or more granular steps?

2. Also, would you expect the width and height of the exported file to be changed as well or would you prefer the frame size to be fixed and the image to be scaled / pillarboxed? Example: File has 1920 x 1080 (wxh) and the rotated has 1080 x 1920 or still 1920 x 1080 and the image is cut off ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022
Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback on how you'd like this feature to work. We're now actively working on it. I don't have a date I'm willing to share yet for when it will be in betat but as soon as that changes, I will update this post.

Thanks,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Hi all, 

Late update from me on this one but I was just doing some forum updates and cleanup. This feature was released. 

Regards,

Fergus

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
32 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few instances where footage is recorded on the phone and is interpreted as being recorded with the wrong orientation. Quickly fixing this without having to recompress in an editor would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With images it is a simple matter of changing an EXIF rotation flag 😞 - what about video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really could do with this feature. Recently moved from Squeeze to Encoder and this is an effect that I used regularly in squeeze but is missing in Encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, rotate 90° a video would be very useful

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it will be usefull to have the chance to rotate the videos, so you can do it faster, whitout the need of other adobe software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of those "I can't believe it doesn't already do this" things.

Sort of like remuxing audio streams:
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911308-media-encoder/suggestions/39952327-basic-audio-remux...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preview/frame your export orientation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirm, filming in smartphone format with a camera requires a 90 degree rotation to be viewed on a computer, it's amazing that Media Encoder does not offer this simple feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirm, filming in smartphone format with a camera requires a 90 degree rotation to be viewed on a computer, it's amazing that Media Encoder does not offer this simple feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, first of all thanks for filing this great idea! I have a question regarding a possible implementation. Would you prefer a fixed 90 degrees rotation or more granular steps?
Also, would you expect the width and height of the exported file to be changed as well or would you prefer the frame size to be fixed and the image to be scaled / pillarboxed?
Example: File has 1920 x 1080 (wxh) and the rotated has 1080 x 1920 or still 1920 x 1080 and the image is cut off or has black bars?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would this work?

There are a few things. Anonymous commented in 2018 about the issue where if the record button is hit on a mobile, it locks the orientation to the phone at the time. Often the phone is then turned around to shoot wide, or vertical, and it displays sideways. Probably locked into the file header.

So yes, a simple 90 flip would be great. Keep the tools we have in terms of cropping, scaling etc, and it would be really handy and easy.

The other feature would be what YouTube, Facebook and a bunch of other social video tools do...ADD BACKGROUND.

My wish: If you use SCALE TO FIT...the remaining space is filled with a SCALED TO FILL version of the same thing, just a little darker, and blurred.

Yes, it's something we can do easily in Premiere or After Effects....but it still takes time, and in a daily NEWS cycle, we are processing many many phone videos of all sizes and aspects....and a simple one size fits all MEDIA ENCODER solution would be ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Christopher, I would say just 90 degree and really you should have the option to swap the resolution AND crop/scale. In truth, I wish there was just a check box where we could swap resolutions. I just proxy'd some videos in AME and a couple of the original were 1080 x 1920 (instead of 1920 x 1080) and I had to make a whole new ingest preset, when I wish everywhere through the adobe suite I could just click a check box to swap the resolution and keep everything else the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe 2022 is here and still no rotate function !
This is the third most voted feature request on Media Encoder!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also need Media Encoder to have the option to rotate 90 degrees the videos. Please implement this simple feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree - the phone era is upon us! It's amazing, how many ways for people to mess up filming of a video in the right direction there are! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think 90° steps would be sufficient. Anything inbetween I would leave to Premiere.

The format should rotate too, like when rotating an image. So no black bars

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Fixed 90 degrees would already help a lot and is perfectly sufficient imho
2) Most of the time the video has already the preferred wxh, it's just the wrong orientation. I want the video to be full screen so just keep the file size and rotate by 90 degrees. Same as if I would rotate a page in a PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speaking for myself:

A straightforward option in 90 degree steps clockwise/counterclockwise would be helpful.

----Example---
For a portrait video shot at 1080 wide x1920 high:
*90deg and 270deg transformations make the video become 1920x1080
*180deg keep the original 1080x1920 dimensions

I guess a best-of-both-worlds option would be a "best fit" given the target encode dimensions and pillar/letterboxing as necessary?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Fix 90, 180 or 270 would be great.
2) Change the orientation so if was 1920x1080, and rotated 90 degree it would be 1080x1920.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Granular steps would impact a higher range of users. With granular you solve A and B issues within question #1.
2. NO black bars - avoid those as mandatory. Let it always have a normal-original resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say fixed in 45 degress increments. with shift or something making it more granular.

And def not black bars anywhere it can be cropped manually afterwords

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+ or - 90 degres increments
No crop, no bars, 1080x1920 become 1920x1080

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

1) + or - 90 degres increments
2) No crop, no bars, 1920w x 1080h (horizontal) become 1080w x 1920h (vertical)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following the previous example, it can have a vertical 1080 with a width scaled to respect the ratio between the two measures, also

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Fergus for replying to this topic. I'm glad to hear your team is considering this feature.

Personally I am fine with a rotational steps of 90 degrees. Any finer/more granular steps would be something I would do in Premiere. Rotating the viewport is also important in this use-case. As the others have mentioned, we don't want black bars in our flipped videos. We want to make full use of the resolution the video was shot in.

Rotating individual videos in bulk is currently a very time consuming task in Premiere, and I would love to have this feature in Media Encoder so it's quick and easy to pull off.

Votes

Translate

Translate