• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe XD v50.0.12 paid after the update (No starter plan)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour 👋 

Est-ce-que Adobe XD est devenu payant après la dernière mise à jour v50.0.12 ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Hi All,

Thank you so much for your patience. Below is the update that I got from the team. 

• The trial gives you the chance to try the full capabilities of XD at no cost for 7 days. There is no commitment; if you cancel during the trial period, you will go back to the Starter plan.
  • XD A starter plan remains available for people learning UI/UX designers who have limited needs to share or collaborate with others.
  • You can continue using XD Starter by launching XD manually (from Windows Start me

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Adobe has acknowledged an issue with the version 50 update of XD, and hopefully they will address it.

But importantly, the Starter version of XD has not gone away, and there seems to be a straightforward workaround to access it (even in version 50)...

Here it is: Instead of launching XD from the Creative Cloud Desktop app, try starting it from elsewhere – namely, from the Windows Start menu or from the macOS Dock/Launchpad.

Then choose the "Exit XD" button, but XD Starter should stil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, opening Adobe XD from the windows menu works for me. It does open a dialog saying "Your trial has ended" or something, but you can just close that dialog and continue to use XD. Thanks for this tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anyone who knows why new xd update is giving us only 7 days free trial? From what I know XD is free for starter plan!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Download and Install forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a feeling that Adobe had retracted the "starter plan" a while ago and replaced it with standard seven-day trial:

https://www.adobe.com/products/xd/pricing/free-trial.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @sergetuyambaze,

The XD Starter plan was available earlier this week, and Adobe continues to show this as well:

https://helpx.adobe.com/xd/kb/xd-subscription-options.html

https://www.adobe.com/go/xdstarter

However, there appear to be other reports here, here and here of the Starter plan no longer working without a free trial or paid subscription since version 50 of XD was released a few days ago...

I suspect some issue or other glitch was introduced with version 50, which hopefully Adobe will sort out soon because the free Starter plan should still be available.

In the meantime, I would suggest rolling back to the previous version 49 of XD by following the directions here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Please let us know if that helps, and works around the issue for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another customer reports:

"You CANNOT open XD from CC panel anymore, the only option is 'Try' which leads you down the select subscription plan.

However if you open XD manually (like from start menu on windows) you can open it. In XD [version 50], it still shows me on the Starter plan."

Does this work for folks here as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can say that this workaround works, but for how long? Or could it broke other options aside mentioned in changes to XD starter plan:

https://helpx.adobe.com/xd/kb/changes-to-xd-starter-plan.html

Here's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWscL960Q18

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like Adobe being Adobe, trying to squeeze some more dollars from anyone they can. They even make their xd files not backwards compatible with previous versions of the app--this cant be a technical requirement in 2022. Too many people with glorified weekend MBAs running companies these days.

...aaaaand delete and ban in 3, 2, 1...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not intentionally make project files not backwards compatible... It happens only when there are features added in newer releases which are not supported by older versions.

https://helpx.adobe.com/xd/help/whats-new/2022.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what they say. But i remember for the longest time, i could open PSD files from previous versions of Photoshop just fine for many years. There's no reason XD shouldnt be able to do the same. New features shouldnt break core functionality or prevent the app from opening files created from previous versions. It's all lazy engineering or greed, you pick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you're talking about? Adobe XD can absolutely open files created in previous versions of the app, just like Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Illustrator, etc., all can.

In other words, XD is able to do exactly the same... There is no issue there. So, what do you mean?

Perhaps what you were posting about above was XD (v. 49) not being able to open files created in later versions (v. 50), because of new features added... Sorry, but that's not possible with any app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It aboslutely does not. This is what lead me to this thread after some searching. I dont know what version i was on, but im certain i had updated not 3 months ago, and just the other day i get a prompt that i cannot open an xd file and am forced to upgrade. Believe me, i wouldnt be wasting my time searching for this and solutions if this wasnt the case, i have better things to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way you would be forced to upgrade to open an XD file is if it was created in a newer version of the XD app than the one you had installed. That's all.

You wrote above that XD couldn't open files created from previous versions of the app, which it absolutely can do.

Unless you're claiming that you were asked to upgrade XD to open an older file, which doesn't make sense... Think about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, i misspoke. i meant to say that XD prevented me from opening a new file. But even so, the file cannot be that much newer. I remember being able to open CS6 photoshop files in CS5, among other apps. This in general is just all BS. I can open a .docx from office 2019 in office 2013, as an example. All money grubbing lazy engineering, who does Adobe think they are, Apple?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you misspoke and made incorrect claims, but are sticking by your rant against Adobe? OK.

Adobe does not intentionally make project files not backwards compatible... It happens only when critical features are added in newer releases which are not supported by older versions.

Sometimes the new feature support can be gracefully ignored by older versions which do not understand the specification – but if the feature is critical to the integrity of the project, then the file cannot be made compatible.

But all upgrades to XD are always included and readily available for free – so this is pretty much a pointless discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is hardly a rant. It's just very anti-competitive business tactics, and you know it. You dont need to be their cheerleader so hard, it really comes off as if they are paying you or you're getting some kind of benefit from Adobe. 

My issue with XD still stands. I am unable to open a file, without being forced to upgrade my XD app. And in the process of being forced to update, im getting prompted to pay for it. Im sure im not the only one having this issue. If you dont have a solution, that's ok. You dont need to keep defending them, it's a bad look

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anti-competitive? Uh, no. And it's not a defense – it's simply a technical fact that older versions of any program cannot by definition understand the file specifications of newer features added in later releases.

Regarding the unexpected change in behavior in XD version 50, the issue is known by Adobe and the workaround solution was already posted several times elsewhere on this thread. So, again, this side discussion is not a productive use of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, anti-competitive. It is entirely possible to engineer software to still function even if the file format was from a newer version. Graceful degradation is a thing in software engineering, unless of course it was deemed unprofitable by the business. But sure, believe what you've been brainwashed to think. I will agree with you this is not a productive use of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this thread after talking to 3 different customer support representatives over the weekend.
None of them seemed to be aware of the problem. 

I have now started a 7 day free trial in spite of using the software for several years.
Hopefully when the trial expires, it will revert back to Starter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

Adobe has acknowledged an issue with the version 50 update of XD, and hopefully they will address it.

But importantly, the Starter version of XD has not gone away, and there seems to be a straightforward workaround to access it (even in version 50)...

Here it is: Instead of launching XD from the Creative Cloud Desktop app, try starting it from elsewhere – namely, from the Windows Start menu or from the macOS Dock/Launchpad.

Then choose the "Exit XD" button, but XD Starter should still run – even without a trial or paid plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue I'm having now is I can't update without starting a 7 day trial. I just started and quit a trial just to download as it wouldn't let me install. Can't even update on my mac at all as it doesn't support the OS anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make XD free again, atleast the one with the limited tools like sharing and colaborating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OR NO, I JUST FOUND OUT fIGMA, NOT BETTER THAN XD BUT IT WORKS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a way to get adobe XD back on my laptop. i uninstalled adobe creative cloud and used the link on one of the comments on this page.....(the link with the starter stuff). And just like that adobe XD has returned

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates won't work sadly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines