• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't access Acumin Variable Concept

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I work on a team where we use the font Acumin Variable Concept. I'm the only one on the team who is unable to access the font in XD. When I open an XD document using this font, it comes up as missing.

I do have access to the font in InDesign, Ilustrator and Photoshop. Only XD gives me errors with this font.

I uninstalled and re-installed XD, which did not fix it.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in response. We would like to know the version of XD you're using. Would you mind checking where this font is saved in your machine? Please check if it's under C:\Windows\Fonts

If no, please relocate the fonts under the above locations and let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I didn't even think to post what platform I'm on. I'm using Mac OS X 10.14.6, XD version 39.0.12.12, CC Sync version 4.9.1.19

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any ideas on how to get this font installed for XD? I posted my system info on April 20

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please share the XD file with us so that we can escalate and investigate? As you mentioned that your boss is able to see the font at his end on his machine, is he has activated the font in the same way?

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting an error when I try to share the file. I'm attaching the error message

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 11.11.52 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gosh you guys are not very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but diagnosing something without getting my hands on the culprit, is always difficult. You claim to work with a technology (Variable Fonts) which Adobe XD simply doesn't support.

https://v-fonts.com/support

So this is where it gets messy...

You're either getting and/or sending wrong information, or you're just lucky and partially benefitting from something whch works (maybe) halfbaked, but is not fully ready to being used – hence, bugs...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you really want to get to the bottom of this, then send me your XD file and the fonts you want to use, or where you're getting those fonts from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I will send you the file shortly. The fonts are all served from Adobe Fonts cloud (we have a site-wide license)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the messy part, if indeed my company is 'lucky' by benefitting from this error, then I really need to know that. If we need to stop using AVC for this purpose, then I also really need to know that.

My complaint above simply regards the glacial pace of support, or the complete lack of response (see my May 4 reply above).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trusting me with your file.

I looked into it. 

I have both the Adobe Fonts version of the Acumin Pro activated, and an Acumin Variable Concept, as downloaded freely from one of the numerous repositories. But the typeface Acumin Variable Concept (in 3 font variations) is indeed reported missing in your file.

Schermafbeelding 2021-05-28 om 13.47.09.png

Which is totally correct, since that reported font is maybe similar to Acumin Pro, but technically not the same. And technically, the Acumin Variable Concept is definitely not available for XD (nor is any other font with that new and special Variable feature).

Adobe doesn't offer any Variable Acuminjust the (normal) Pro in various fonts.

What probably happens, is that the elements in your XD file have been brought over by placing or simply copying/pasting from Adobe Illustrator, which supports the Variable feature very well, as I have done in this element:

Schermafbeelding 2021-05-28 om 13.53.11.png

But using this part (copied or placed) in XD invokes another error:

Schermafbeelding 2021-05-28 om 13.54.28.png

This is all expected behavior !

BTW: as you can see, my variable version of the Acumin also has a different technical name, coming from a different foundry or distributor than your colleagues are using. Garamonds are also available in a dozen different incarnations, with similar or even the same menu names and designs, but technically totally different full names.

Just take a look at all these (free) Variable Acumin suppliers.

So I'm getting really interested in what your colleagues claim to be capable of, or what they're working with, and which Acumin Variable Concept they're using.

Not a clear diagnosis yet, but we're closing in on the culprit, and it's not on your part...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to look into this. I asked my boss what version of the font he is using. I'm attaching a screenshot from his FontBook details screen.

A lot of our designers to copy/paset elements from one app to another, so I can believe that's how it got into XD. But the problem remains that I'm the only one (who has tried, there are at least 3 of us) who can't access the font to edit these files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry for not having been able to reply for a while. It has been a busy week...

But... We're done ! It's clear now.

And the solution is a bit boring, actually.

Adobe supplies their OpenType Acumin Variable Concept font through the installation of e.g. InDesign and InCopy, but only in a special font folder, exclusively accessible to these applications. So it's not installed into the 'common' system or user based Fonts folder in Windows or Mac. That's how you are able to use it.

However, many users (like your colleagues) have simply and/or additionally downloaded or acquired it from somewhere or some one, and opened and installed it in their common fonts folder, making it also available to all other applications on their computer as well, even Adobe XD ! That doesn't mean that its "variable" features become available in XD, but at least they can use it and let it render texts in an ordinary fashion.

So grab it from one of those specific folders (or a colleague's common Fonts folder), and open or toss it manually into your common Fonts folder.

Below you can see the (upside-down) path to the Acumin Variable Concept for InDesign:

Acumin location.png

I'm sorry for having overlooked the aspect of font resource location.

Suppliers like Adobe and Microsoft adhere to such policies, to comply with the license of making it initially and exclusively available for their own and specific applications. It's a bit of a trick, but actually very easy to bypass. Unfortunately, I kept focussing on the existance of other Acumins, and XD's incapability to use its variable features...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you're using the same font as they do ? Because the Acumin Variable Concept is a so-called variable font, which uses various parameters in stead of a family of specific variations. And as far as I know, Adobe XD can't handle such variable fonts yet (Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop do). So check which font the others are actually using – it's probably a 'plain' Acumin (like Pro or something) but not the variable one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm 99.5% sure they are using it. First, I have an XD file set up by another team member that uses AVC and I'm the only person on the team who has tried to open it that has an issue. 

In the font pane in that XD file, the full name Acumin Variable Concept shows with the "!" indicating a missing font. 

I passed that file to my boss (not the person who created it), who was able to open it and make edits with no issues. 

Also, it's the only font being used in the file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know this is super late to the game (+ 1 year) - but I had a similar issue that I believe was a possible culprit to your conundrum. My boss recently upgraded to teams from personal accounts - and while some fonts seemed to sync fine with Illustrator, it took me logging out of Adobe Fonts and then using the log in with google (chrome user) account to reset and let me use my "teams" profile over my "personal" profile (I can't fathom why this is helpful to have 2, as both are attached by the same email address. 

Long story short, logging in with teams showed I didn't have all the weights synced. So apparently my Illustrator Install is on my "personal account" but my Xd is associate with my team account.

Hope this helps someone else pulling out their hair next year. Peace. 😵💫

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think XD supports variable font

https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/33824077-support-f...

EDIT: Ah sorry I was a bit late... 😁

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines