Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copying components revert them to master state

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe, 

Attaching the video file for reference will be a lot easier to understand but I'm trying to explain the whole scenario.

While working on a project I usually create a design system and the XD file is used as a library by other members of my team. Since the Co-Editing feature is still in beta and not reliable (might be because of network issues) my team divides parts of a project.

Recently, we've been using components and nested components extensively. When we want to combine the project let's say 5 screens from member A 5 from member B, the copying doesn't work properly.

Any edits made to the components lets say the change in a text is reverted to master state when the file is artboard is pasted in the original file. 

please find the next points to clearly follow my process.

1. Create a New File A
  2. Create a master Component X (rectangle+text+icon) in File A
  3. Create a New File B
  4. Use File A as a library for File B.
  5. Use Component X in the File B and change the text.
  6. Copy the Component X from File B to File A.

You'll notice any changes you've done to the Component X in file B will be lost in File A.

I'm attaching the video, for the sake of forum I've reduced the quality because the video was long so that it just gets understood but if you cannot see because of the quality please reply I'll post the higher quality version.

Adobe XD version -  28.8.12.1
Creative Cloud Sync -

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Hi there,

We're so sorry to hear about the trouble. We have logged a bug and the Team is working on it. We'll update the discussion as soon as we have an update, meanwhile, we'll really appreciate your patience with us.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

I just tried this in v44.1 and it seems to work as expected. Note that there is a new step in recipe:

2b. Publish Library

With that said, what's the goal of copying a linked component in a consuming document and pasting it back in the source ("master") document: Update original component? Add a new component? Create an overridden instance? Something else?

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rishabh,

This issue is not solved yet and it's a very important bug to fix. Please update us once it's fixed.

Thanks,
Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has been causing a lot of rework and frustration for my team for quite a while now.  I've attempted to remove all linked asset files, rename duplicate components before merging 2 files, and still the components revert to the default state.  Aside from ungrouping, which eseentially breaks the component, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We understand it could be frustrating for all you. As we informed that the bug is already logged for the issue and the team is working on it with a high priority. You will definitely see the improvements in the future releases of XD.

We really appreciate your patience. 

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your work on this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is not resolved Same issue I am facing right now . I have again do same steps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't fix the bug.. It's very difficult to work with this because you literally have to redo your work every time you need to change things from one document to another. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Are there people who don't have this issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not previously seen this issue before but in some XD file I noticed that componets have reverted back to thier master state in a linked document without resetting them.

For example if I have created a file and populated it with compoents and then made another file where I copied componets from the first file and then altered the compoents in the second file (eg changed the text) I have noticed that some compoents in the second file have reverted back to the master state without reseting to master state or editing anything in the file. Please let me know if anyone else has been having this issue or know what I might have done to make this happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to unlink component from master components? That can be solution for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a bunch of libaries/files that are linked together so that soultion would not be ideal for our workflow. If we update something in one file we would like those changes to carry over into other files aswell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I am the only one.. this has been persisting from June 2020!
My teams created a "master" Adobe XD file for our final designs, linked to each of our own local XD files, where our teams individually edit or create their design versions based on the linked master components we shared. 

I hope Adobe fixes this soon.

EDIT: I think they have made a megathread here of your same problem? : 
https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/copying-components-revert-them-to-master-state/td-p/11112537...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am sorry for the frustration. I have checked the status of the bug and it's in progress. You will definitely see the improvements in the future releases of XD.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't fix the bug.. It's very difficult to work with this because you literally have to redo your work every time you need to change things from one document to another. 

Are you looking into this bug? When can we expect news on it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sushant,

Sorry to hear you are still experiencing the issue. Would you mind telling us the OS and XD version of your machine? The bug status shows that the bug is fixed with XD 32 version. Could you please check on XD 32.2 version and share the results with us?

We will try our best to investigate on it.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harshika,

bug is fix XD 32.2 but letest update XD 32.2.22.2 it's comeback.

I'm useing macOS High Sierra and  XD 32.2.22.2

Thanks

Vivesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harshika,

I'm using macOS High Sierra and  XD 32.2.22.2

The latest update it's back again.

How I can go back to the previous XD version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay in response. Would you mind updating to XD 33 version and let us know if you're still experiencing the issue?

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harshika,

i update XD 33 yesterday and check but it's there not solve 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in response. Would you mind sharing the file and the video again so that we can escalate it to the team? Is it happening on both windows and mac operating system?

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harshika,

Thank you for replay but on this update XD 33.1.12.4 it's no problem there,

now it's working fine.

Thanks

Vivesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue in 35.0.12.14 . I have many layouts with lists/tables housing components that are repeated in other documents and they revert to master on copy/paste to another document. What is the resolution for this work flow killing bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction. There appears to be a strange bug where components will revert to master on paste to another document if the linked components have NOT been updated. After updating the linked library, pasting seems to work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue I was facing is not happening now. Thanks. Appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am still experiencing this bug. What is the solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason I'm unable to edit comments. Anyway, for me the solution was to make sure the original document had all its components updated. Of course you have to be careful and make sure you actually want that. You can have some nasty surprises if you realize you were working on an instance rather than a main, and have everything reset! Luckily that didn't happen to me this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines