• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feature Request-States do not inherit component instance default state modifications

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, so the scenario is as follows:

1. You make a button template component, that has a body shape with fill and border, and a text label.
  2. For that component you add a state - let's say Hover, but any state works the same
  3. You make an instance of the component. You adjust the button width and change the button's label (standard component usecase I suppose?)
  4. You test the hover effect: of course the interaction is applied, but the instance adjustments were not inherited in any way for the instance's states - on hover the button's label changes back to the default placeholder, and the button auto-animates to the master's size.

I suppose the solution is to apply instance modifications to each of the instance's states separately, but that seems like something the component feature should address rather than require the user to do manually for every element.

The new states feature has been especially disappointing with an ongoing app design, where I already have most of the design system established. It was initially logical to me that I could add a Hover state to the component's master and all the instances, across the artboards in the entire prototype would "simply" inherit it, but alas - I found they only show the master's state on hover. Needed to undo all of that since it basically broke the prototype for any kind of use, and I definietely do not have the time to go instance-by-instance and apply all the component edits again.

Unless I missed something and am doing this wrong.

TOPICS
Missing feature

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Hi All -

Apologies for the inconvenience around the effort required to manually change states in component instances.

We're actively working on addressing this issue so that changes made to the Default State in an instance would propagate to other states within that instance.

Stay Tuned.

Thanks,

Sherif

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 145 Replies 145
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, it's something really important... You don't have an idea how much time it could save me today with changing the text on instance back and forth on hover. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is time to move on from XD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easier said than done. At my last job I used Sketch. Then I lost my job because my company was severely impacted by Covid. Joined a new company, and their tool is XD. I've told them over and over how limited it is, and how I will try to look up a tutorial on how to do something, only to find a USER VOICE post requesting the feature... a feature that it's such a necessary part of prototyping and has been in Sketch and Axure for years! It drives me crazy. But that's our company tool. My boss is used to it and doesn't want to change. What am I supposed to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth - this particular issue is something other software packages also struggle with.
As far as prototyping goes, Xd is a bit easier to handle with states, although it will soon lose that advantage as well. The problem is that it severely lacks in all other aspects - library / asset organisation, consistency, user experience (ironically).

Things are just happening too slow. It would have been fine, if at least we got stable and bug-free releases, but bugs seem to multiply with every release... It used to have better performance with complex files than competitor software, but it's become more sluggish in recent releases...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I was using/trying XD, I really did like how the states were supposed to work in the UI. It was promising. I also like (prefer) how XD allows for artbaords to be eaisly named.

As a current Sketch user, transitioning to Figma now, I think a way to help others transition into Figma is to show them the prototyping abilities that Figma's frames offer. The extra layer of interaction design is nice.

It also helps that Figma has mostly adopted Adobe's keyboard shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The basic way that states works is actually really useful. It's just limited. I've just learned how to work with the limitations and let some things go or find workarounds. The simplicity of XD is really good for a lot of reasons, but I can't over emphasize how limited it is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are 100% right, it has been a struggle everywhere, and can lead to poor performance and clunky override configurations. Pretty happy with how Sketch handles it, and slowly learning how Figma handles it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Figma's way of handling hovers is inefficient to say the least 🙂 But that will change with interactive components. Also, the way they handle fixed and scrolling elements is not the best. I've been hacking some nice workarounds with Xd for delayed sticky menus and other "on-scroll" stuff, which I can't achieve with Figma. It's just too much swapping around and too many frames to achieve something relatively simple.

I wish UI/UX design software in general implemented CSS classes or a similar approach for repeated styling / behavior. It makes so much more sense, but anyways.

I use different software packages, depending on what's needed. If I got many hover states and prototyping, it's less of a hassle with Xd (for now). But I don't work for any company, so they can't force me to use the wrong tool for a job, but yeah... adapt and do the best with what you have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Things are just happening too slow."

This is very true or at least that's how I feel it is too.

They used to deliver bigger and more meaningful updates in the past. Maybe they counted on third-parties developers to deliver plugins and new functionnalities but I don't see this becoming the ecosystem they wished it could be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sherif Assaf 
Nov 2019 — We're actively working on addressing this issue... Stay tuned!
Jan 2021 — It is certainly a high priority in our roadmap... Stay tuned!

Any chance we can get more than just canned replies? Something like "this feature is on track to be part of the upcoming version 38 that is scheduled on ..... " would be helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Go to YouTube.
  2. Search for Figma Variants. The UI in Figma for variants (states) is well done, even allows for boolean toggles.
  3. Figma's approach with variatns is the future of what used to be just states. Variants are getting close to stylesheets (CSS) which is what we need.

I think the XD team knows this. Fixing "States" does not solve the bigger problem for XD, so it doesn't make sense to fix just states when the competition is way beyond this now. I am sure the XD team will come up with something great eventually, but I had to move on a long time ago, and couldn't be happier.

I've been using XD, Sketch and Figma for real work for years, and Figma is the current winner - as someone who designs and codes, Figma is years ahead at this point.

You can use Figma for free to get a feel for it. Watch Pablo Stanley's videos for an easy-in approach. The Figam team videos are great too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's amazing, thanks. I'll definitely check Figma Variants!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing that holds me back to get Figma is that once a link is shared with a client, he can see all the comments, also. there is no way to share and get comments as a guest, they have to create an account... and Adobe XD provides that feature...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Figma has a lot of great features, that actually should be the bases of any design tool. But in therm of usability onestly, this is a mess. I design much more faster with XD or sketch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing your experience. I like many aspects of XD and it allows me to work fast as well. But when I see this kind of issues not being resolved after 2 years and the lack of communication around it, I'm just worried about the lack of support and it doesn't make me feel confident for the future of XD.

I think everybody would feel better if they could be a little bit more specific in their communication and tell us how long exactly it takes to improve this and when they can deliver this update...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More than 99% of the time in interactive screens, a hover state will have the same text as the link state. On the web, it'd take extra JS effort to change the content, and rarely is that a good experience for the user. Text change on hover is just not a thing. Occasionally we design a link or button with a progressively disclosed tooltip containing additional text.

So why would the XD feature support this, default to this, and make it hard to design hovers that don't change their text — the normal way they should work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not the issue highlighted by op I think and it's not about changing the text when you hover over a link, which does not sound very user friendly.

It's more about creating an instance of an existing component (eg a button),  and whishing that all the changes you apply to that the new button instance, be it text or colour or whatever is carried across its other states (eg Hover), for that particular instance of that button.

And as @Sherif Assaf said in 2019 :"We're actively working on addressing this issue so that changes made to the Default State in an instance would propagate to other states within that instance."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! "Text change on hover is just not a thing".

As OP said, "States do not inherit default state modifications" — such as text changes.

But they should. Change the text in an instance, and its hover state should show that new text. Just the way HTML works. Who would want it otherwise? It's fair to say that not a single XD user over the past three years has liked how hover states work.

I'll update my nuber: 100% of the time a hover state will have the same text as the link state. 😂

Which is why Adobe is working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone know if that has been fixed, I'm having the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nah, it's been years. This isn't on anyone's radar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most definitely has not been fixed. I've stopped trying to use it and found workarounds

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that Adobe has decided to sunset XD as everyone is using Figma or other tools for the most part now days. They probably still have some revenue from XD and don't want to shut it down just yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I dont think they are going to sunset it. They put a lot of effort into the product and it's still receiving updates. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're actively working on addressing that issue alongside making components more performant. We'll keep the community posted with our progress updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT'S BEEN 18 MONTHS!.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines