• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a rectangle with slanted corner?

Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there, I'm working on a Game UI which I've assembled in Photoshop and Illustrator over the last year.

I'm looking now to build the UI in Xd - Quick question here: Is it possible to make a rectangle with slanted corners like this (border radius 4px) I know I can draw it in Illustrator, but I would like to have a rectangle which I can scale and stretch where the corners remain the same.

edniufkckf1s.png

TOPICS
Design , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

You can use the new Border Bevel Join feature. An 8px border should give you a 4px corner. See gif: https://imgur.com/a/FLreHfy

Also, you can create a Path and marquee select multiple points to effectively change width and height of an object without affecting the shape of the corners. See gif: https://imgur.com/a/YVbf8VE

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the new Border Bevel Join feature. An 8px border should give you a 4px corner. See gif: https://imgur.com/a/FLreHfy

Also, you can create a Path and marquee select multiple points to effectively change width and height of an object without affecting the shape of the corners. See gif: https://imgur.com/a/YVbf8VE

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh Randy, that's fantastic! thank you very much... I may try and use XD instead of Sketch now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but your links are dead - can you explain how to do that? I really like the way corners are handles in InDesign and would love it it was ported to Illustrator rather than having different ways of doing the same thing in these apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a new gif with Border Bevel Join feature:

border-bevel-join.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a new gif that shows multiple selection of points on a path so you can resize a rectangle with custom corners without losing shape of corners:

path-point-multi-select.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am using Photoshop 2024, and I don't even see this feature. The button that would correspond to it, likely the one that brings up this drop-down menu, jaredl6231991_0-1702155849153.png, does nothing to alter the rectangle. Where else can I find the feature, or has it been removed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 21.17.01.png

This is not a Photoshop forum, but Photoshop does apply the bevel joint to paths correctly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SquareCornerExample.png

 I make linear corners by:

1. round the corners as normal

2. double-click the square to enter edit mode

3. double-click the rounded corners points to change their interpolation from bezier to linear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome. Thanks for sharing your workflow. This will definitely our customer to achieve the same design. Please feel free to reach out to us in the future for any assistance related to XD.

We would be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines