• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to organize XD files in a large project?

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with a big and complex system which has hundreds of screens. The artboards don't fit into a single XD file so I have to create multiple files. What is the best way to brake down the scope and organize the XD files? By functionality / by clients / by user roles...? 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Hi @rpavlyk-deleted , I think library features would really be helpful and I'd check videos on the subject like these ones (these are for organizing assets in a single file but should still be helpful for projects in larger scales) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX5fOqgYGj4  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zze4Vp-C_dY Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @rpavlyk-deleted , I think library features would really be helpful and I'd check videos on the subject like these ones (these are for organizing assets in a single file but should still be helpful for projects in larger scales) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX5fOqgYGj4  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zze4Vp-C_dY Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but these videos are more about how to organize styles within an XD file. What I asked is - how to organize multiple XD files that belong to the same project. I have so many artboards that they don't fit into a single XD file, there's no room. I need to brake it down into multiple files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @rpavlyk-deleted, yes as I said these are for organizing styles in a single file but could give an idea about publishing/organizing libraries to be used across multiple files. If I come across something for multiple files I'll share, feel free to do so if you have any updates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @rpavlyk-deleted have you gotten any insight since you asked? I have the exact same problem and am desperate for solutions too. My problem also comes in when changes are made to certain screens and so have to copy them out until they are developed then have to update the master screens with the new additions. I just don't know how to manage this all... I am the only designer, managing a very complex system too with SOOOO many screens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have created XD project files by flows, types and/or  users.  

For example, I put all reports into one file (ProjectName_Reports), but this could be broken down further if reports have a type or specific users (ProjectName_ClientReports, ProjectName_AccountingReports). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines