• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to replace images without having to reimport & resize in XD version(21.2.12.3)?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InVision Studio provides a simple way of updating or replacing images as fills (no resizing or reimporting necessary). See attached screenshot below.

This rather fundamental action appears to be missing with XD and costing me valuable production time. Am I overlooking it?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

InVision - screenshot.jpg

The Title was edited by Moderator.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Have you tried dragging another image over the shape? It should replace it as an image fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

The secret to quickly updating an image or a logo, is by creating it as a master component, and use reference copies of it in your artboards. Here's how to do this on a Mac (PC users can swap Command for Control, and Control-Click for Right-Click):

1. Drag and drop the logo artwork onto the project canvas or artboard.
  2. Select the logo asset and press Command-K to Make Component. (Or go to the top menu, and select Object > Make Component)
  3. The newly created component will appear in the left-hand Assets

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your feedback. I understand it could be annoying. I found a similar request has been raised here: Ability to replace/update image files – Adobe XD Feedback : Feature Requests & Bugs​ if this is what you're looking for, I would request you to please upvote the feature request and add your voice in the comment section.

Please let me know if you face any issues with this. I'd be happy to help

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do. Thank you for the reply, Harshika.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried dragging another image over the shape? It should replace it as an image fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works! Thanks so much, Harshika!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do I do if I've tried this but its not working on my PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot (22).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG thank you so much, it's a simple solution but i've been searching the asnwer for so long

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, I think I will start using InVision instead of XD, since I don't want to replace a logo a hundred times when it updates once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The secret to quickly updating an image or a logo, is by creating it as a master component, and use reference copies of it in your artboards. Here's how to do this on a Mac (PC users can swap Command for Control, and Control-Click for Right-Click):

1. Drag and drop the logo artwork onto the project canvas or artboard.
  2. Select the logo asset and press Command-K to Make Component. (Or go to the top menu, and select Object > Make Component)
  3. The newly created component will appear in the left-hand Assets toolbar, under "Components."
  4. Select the logo component and drag copies of it into the desired artboards.
  5. If you decide to update the logo artwork, you can control-click on the component asset in the left-hand toolbar, and select "Edit Master Component." It should appear in the canvas, outlined in green and selected.
  6. From there, you can drag and drop a new version of the logo into the selected component area, and it will automatically replace all of the instances of the logo. If you have the logo copied into the Pasteboard, you can control-click on the master component, and select "Paste Appearance" from the contextual menu. 

On a related note, "Paste Appearance" will be your best friend when you wish to replace individual photos or artwork that have been duplicated with the "Repeat Grid" feature. Command-V will replace all of the repeat-grid images, which may not be the desired result, if you just want to update a single image within the grid.

I hope that this helps!

Take care,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, Mark. 

Any idea how to 'fit frame to image' after doing this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 04, 2022 Jun 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... "quickly updating". 262 words to describe 6 steps that implies yet more sub steps, managing components and dragging-dropping, and all that prone to errors. In Adobe's own Illustrator or inDesign, linked images are authomatically updated after you edit them externaly.

Simply let say that XD is a perfect example of bad UX and extreme cognitive friction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree. I'm new to XD (client insists we use for email creation) anyways... I've used Photoshop forever (2001) and I thought for sure XD would use dynamic link or smart objects to images you put into it like PS or at least I could right click and update and replace the image. But nope. Unbelievable and this thread started in 2019. FWIW my images are still shifting (I made them in PS and exported as the same dimeneions) even if I use the component or dragging method listed above. C'mon Adobe please add this in asap!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe is no longer active working on new features. If your client is not aware of this, you should inform that they should begin looking for a new solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines