• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to delete linked components from the component panel in XD.

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I can not delete some of my components any more. Right click on a component, the only options I have are 'highlight on canvas' and 'relink' or 'edit master in source document'. The component is not in my document any more, so I don't know why I can't delete them. Anyone has the answer?Schermafbeelding 2019-07-15 om 10.49.39.png

<The title was renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Hi All,

We are sorry for the trouble deleting the linked component. Unfortunately, we currently don't allow you to make local or delete a linked nested components because that impacts dependent parent components.

The team is working on it to make improvements in the future.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniëlleo,

We're sorry to hear that you're facing an issue while deleting the components. I am able to see the option to delete the component on my machine. We would love to get more details about this.

• Could you please share the OS and XD version of your machine?
  • Have you used this component in any other file? If yes, could you please see if you're getting the option to delete?

Please let us know if you face any issues with this. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OS is MacOS Mojave version 10.14.5, XD version is the last updated version.

The components were originally in other 'library' documents, one in a local document and one in a cloud document. In those library documents they are removed, so there are no original components any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, not fixed, been occuring forever. None of the suggested workarounds are fixes. All program updates applied with no effect on the problem(s) - this is just one of many too many! None of the answers marked in this thread as "Correct" are actually correct. Please, Adobe -  no more misinformation! Just fix it already! CantDeleteComponents.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2019 Jul 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the exact same problem - but was able to fix it.

1) I selected "edit master in source document"

2) This created a new "master" version in the original source doc.

3) I then deleted this new component from the component list in the source doc.

4) Back in the "new" doc, I was then able to select "Delete" for the component.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a solution. The master documents is still used as a master by other documents. Then the design system would break.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this same issue for several versions of XD now. 

I find it can be caused by my changing the name of the Master Component in the source doc. Sometimes linked instances can then no longer "find" their Master and the link gets broken. Sometimes this can be resolved by relinking. Most often, however, the link gets broken and the issue @danielleo posted occurs.

The Answer posted by @stephenh91919179 does not solve the issue (at least not in my case) because I CANNOT "edit master in source document" because (as is the case in @danielleo's original post) it's not an option becasue the link to the source document is broken.

I am currently using XD v22.1.12.5 Creative Cloud Sync v4.3.12.14 macOS Mojave v10.14.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry to hear you are facing trouble using Adobe XD. However, we would request you to please update XD to the latest version 22.7 and let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was fixed in the latest version 23.1.32.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, still not fixed...
Screenshot at Oct 15 10-21-34.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try copying those artboards to a new document

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue so this is not fixed (I'm on the latest version of XD... I'm positive becuase I had to uninstall and reinstall it this morning to fix another issue). Windows 10.0.17134

I tried copying and pasting to a new document. I still can't delete the problematic components. I don't have the option to edit them or unlink them, either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will ask around to see if this is a known issue, but if you are in a rush I suggest getting in touch with the tech support team https://adobe.ly/2WYE62m for further investigation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SK_UXDesigner That might be an issue with the component itself (such as a missing master component). When I copy a linked component into an existing document I can't delete it. If I copy it into a brand new document (with or without its artboard) I get the 'Delete' and 'Edit Master in Source Document' options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this exact same issue so it's still not fixed.  I am using the same element I used just last week in another doc and it worked fine.  Now all of a sudden all of the elements I'm using are giving me the same grief.  It doesn't matter if I'm creating a new board, using a new element or using an element I used last week that allowed me to delete the components.  So frustrating.  One would think with such a simple function within an Adobe app users wouldn't have to deal with trying to find hacks around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also unable to delete components, so this issue hasn't been fixed. Mojave 10.14.6 and latest version of XD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe released a major update today - 24.0.22.19 but it still doesn't work. You can delete a linked component if you paste it in but you can't if you import it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here. just updated to 24.2.22.8 on both platforms. and i still can't delete the missing object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was definitly not fixed. I am having the same issue today and I do not have a clue how to override this problem. I can copy all artboards in a new file and this solves the "Share" tab not working, but when I share the prototype it creates a new link. I do not find the way to fix the issue and keep the same prototype design review link (we have tens of comments there).

I have tride to add the unlinked component on the canvas and edit in master document, but it doesn't work. The Edit in master document is disabled in the right click menu. The component in asset view has only two options, relink (which does not work) and highlight on canvas.

What to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the moment the only fix is to use a new document. You can't keep the same share link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest version. This is not fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree, not fixed. Allso have the latest version and still have components i cant delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this case just happened to me, no option to edit the master and the component couldn't be deleted.

My XD version is 24.4.22.1 on Mac Mojave

After trying here & there "suddenly" the delete option/make local component appear.

This is my hypothesis :

The icon/component you want to delete might be "hidden somewhere" in the override component.
In my case, the component I want to delete but couldn't (exactly like this case) is the down arrow in the header.
All the header looks fine but when I try to check the header one-by-one (glad there are not too many artboards yet), one of the header has option 'Reset to Master State', so I try to click it, the header change to the oldest version and the oldest header is also the component. I try to delete this oldest-header-component in assets list panel and after that I could delete that down arrow.
Long story short, probably you used this X icon/component as a part of another component that might be hidden somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just solved it in the exact same way.

Component that I couldn't delete was "hidden" in a different component.

The problem is - now with states - it could be impossible to find those "hidden" components even if you use highlight options because these problematic elements could be buried in the non-Default states.

Because of this and issues with the position of updated linked components, my team decided to not use nested components at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines