• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to update {cloudDocumentName} because of an error.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the error my team and I have been getting with several files.

"Unable to update {cloudDocumentName} because of an error."

We had multiple cloud files with linked components to one style guide file. We recently updated the components on the style guide file to a shared library instead. We have been going through the cloud files that had the linked components and trying to update them to the new library and this is where we run into issues.

If we publish updates to the component library and then try to update some of those components on our other cloud files with the Update All button or even individually, we will get the "Unable to update..." error. Some components will update just fine if we do them one-by-one. However, others will trigger the error message and once that message is triggered, XD won't allow us to save the file, undo any actions, or sometimes even close the file or quit XD.

TOPICS
Open and save docs , Share or publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Hi Cory,

We are sorry to hear you are having trouble updating the components in XD. Would you mind checking if there is any component that got corrupted and causing the issue? Please share the OS and XD versions of your machine. Does that happen with all the files or with any specific file?

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cory,

We are sorry to hear you are having trouble updating the components in XD. Would you mind checking if there is any component that got corrupted and causing the issue? Please share the OS and XD versions of your machine. Does that happen with all the files or with any specific file?

We will try our best to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harshika,

I'm running XD version 36.1.32.5

Mac OS version 11.1

It happens with some files, but not all. The bad components that I've identified so far have been Text Styles in the document assets that are linked to a component library. The workaround I have found so far is to delete the troublesome text styles from the document assets and import it again from the component library. It seems to work fine after that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice to hear you are able to find the faulty part and able to work.  Please let me know if you need further assistance.

I would be happy to help.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue. It happened once, and I was able to step back a few times and remove the faulty component. But it has happened again upon opening the file fresh and I have no way of diagnosing what component is the issue. The only thing I can do is to completely recreate the file. Any suggestions? Can this be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have discovered that it is the three giant components I have with many items nested multiple levels deep. Not sure what the best practice is or how many levels are supported but I had to completely replaced those three components for it to work. I know there are lots of complexities here so happy to work with the XD team on this real example if helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brian, How were you able to diagnose the ones that were at fault.

I'm having the same issue, but 25 components get that error when I try to update, including some Character Styles, and simpler components. 

Thanks,

Alain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Alain,

Sorry to hear that. For me it was 3 components that I have that have many components inside, and inside those componets are many components. Its many levels deep. My only guess is that XD is having trouble keeping track of it all with it being nested so deeply. For me the solution was just to delete those components, update the document, repaste them in, and then it would work fine. It actually broke again which is why I remembered to respond. I wonder if a cloud library affects things differently? This document I am not using a cloud library I am simply using the old way which is having a document in the cloud serve as my stylegude with my master components. I copy those and paste them into my working document so the changes all come from that master source document. Are you using a cloud library for your setup?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines