Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unit of letter spacing and line height

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bildschirmfoto 2019-06-05 um 13.57.30.png

I handed off my design to the developers and they were wondering what unit the letter spacing and line height have.

I am handing off my designs with the XD "for developers" feature.

Thanks for helping

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

It's in fractions of 1/1000 of the font size.

So 1000 would equal the size of the font.

Note: not the line height ! That's in points.

Units for Character spacing

There's some debate about whether it's equal or just similar to the "em" from the metal type era, since the CSS technologies (for the web) have declared an "em" as the font size. Wikipedia: Em (typography) While in old printer's jargon an "em" stands for a piece of lead type at the width of the capital M (hence "em" and it's half-sized bro

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in fractions of 1/1000 of the font size.

So 1000 would equal the size of the font.

Note: not the line height ! That's in points.

Units for Character spacing

There's some debate about whether it's equal or just similar to the "em" from the metal type era, since the CSS technologies (for the web) have declared an "em" as the font size. Wikipedia: Em (typography) While in old printer's jargon an "em" stands for a piece of lead type at the width of the capital M (hence "em" and it's half-sized brother "en").

Thomas Phinney (who also worked for Adobe) has a nice article about it:

Phinney on Fonts » Point Size and the Em Square: Not What People Think

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know that I needed a calculator to use this programm...If adobe wants to make a better user experience for their users please change this to pixels, no one understands this system! For type / font systems styleguides this is a horrible user experience! Lately they just released "marketing features" for new users, instead of focusing in the users that use this professionaly...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Line height should be able to be specified as a % (eg 120%) or Factor (eg 1.2). Not just an absolute px (eg 12px). Just like the web!

Am I missing something in XD?

Why doesn't Adobe take notice of their own Forums for this feature: https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/13813872-line-heig...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines