• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Documentation]-Discussion on XD Starter changes

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else think this change next April will be the end of XD? I know I won't be using it anymore after the BS changes go through! Might as well cancel my Photoshop subscription too and move to alternate platforms. Yes?

<The Title was renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Product performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Hi AlWie,

Thank you for reaching out, you may see the changes starting April 2020. Feel free to take a look at this article for more information on this topic (https://helpx.adobe.com/xd/kb/changes-to-xd-starter-plan.html). 

Thanks,

Atul_Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corporate Commander is back! 😂

In all seriousness, what did you expect? They managed to grow the community and now the tables have turned. XD has been able to gain momentum (you're welcome Adobe) and that's how the corporate world works. It is a shame though, but they do have to pay developers and based on the feedback the software gives them these are the features people are using the most. There's no incentive for people to upgrade if there's no pain point. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe knows a lot of people aren't aware of their crown jewel: Adobe Cloud. This will force people to interact with it, even if it is to download the uploaded files (which I bet you once people get used to this workflow, they'll make it a paid feature).

It's like when you tell your kid, "YOU'RE GROUNDED! You can't go to your friends house for a week!", and the says, "well, I didn't wanna go to his house in the first place, I'd rather stat here and watch TV!"... A smart parent will just go down the list and remove privileges until the kid is pissed off 😁

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes ! It will invoke mayhem ! The sky will collapse, the Internet will come to a grinding halt, and Adobe will go out of business.

On a more serious note: the Starter Plan is a freebie of which Adobe changed its policy. You're gaining many cloud features, and losing some. If you use XD and like it, why don't you step up, and get a full subscription ? It's a professional tool – not a toy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I understand your sentiment, I suggest going through the FAQ https://helpx.adobe.com/xd/kb/changes-to-xd-starter-plan.html for a complete understanding of what's changed, and the reasons behind the decision. All design and prototyping features continue to be available for free through the starter plan. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see saving locally is no longer considered a "design and prototyping feature."  I believe that makes XD no longer a "usable tool."  This is a bizarre and antagonistic feature choice to pull out from under your users.

"Why is saving local documents a premium feature?

Local documents, when used with 3rd party systems, provide an alternative collaboration workflow. Paid plans fully support this solution as well as collaboration workflows within the Adobe XD platform."

That doesn't answer the question at all.  Why are you removing this basic and essential feature? 

Why should I support the company knowing they'll arbitrarily remove my ability to save my own work?  What happens if I can't connect to the Cloud?  Why should I trust Adobe to maintain the integrity of my files?  If you're trying to block me from exporting XD to invision or marvel with a paywall, why block Saving instead of Exporting?  This is a bad decision and should be seriously reconsidered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's simple.

They aren't allowing you to share your work unless you pay.

-If I can save locally, I can email the file to my co-worker so they can view it on their computer.
-If I can share links, my co-workers can view the XD on their computer.

-If I can invite co-workers to view my XD, they can view the XD on their computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving locally as a premium feature is really a cheek - in many areas you can fortunately get around Adobe (sometimes even with better alternatives)
Unfortunately, the UXD course requires us to work with XD, but I will definitely not purchase a subscription to work with local data - that's a joke. I'm happy that I own CS6, it misses some nice features but after 8 years it's still more than usable (what was the annual subscription price of the cloud again?).
What Adobe has been doing since their cloud migration is unbearable, at least for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you really surprised that Adobe (maker of professional apps) wants to make money off an app? The free version of any app is like a trial version to get people started. If a company doesn’t make money with an app they can’t afford to maintain it and add features.

No this won’t be the end of XD, because professionals will pay for it (if they weren’t already). 

I don’t know of any pro app that’s completely free. No one wants spend more money than required, but I know that software development isn’t free. Someone needs to support it (and that’s the users of the app).

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just ridiculous that one very simple function requires a "Premium" account. That's just ridiculous. Isn't Adobe satisfied with the very expensive price they charge in countries like Brasil? Now you are charging for a very stupid function? Now we have to pay if we want to share our Adobe XD prototypes. Thank you for nothing, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Flavio,

We understand your frustration. We have a similar discussion going on here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-xd/xd-starter-changes/m-p/10808823 regarding the similar situation. 

We would request you to please join the discussion. I am also merging this post with the similar thread.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you know that hosting files (and the bandwidth used to view them) costs money? Servers are not free, so it does make sense that this is a feature that Adobe would charge people for... because there are ongoing costs. The more you use this feature, the more money Adobe has to pay for your usage.

"Free" software has distorted the views of many people. Most things in life are not free. Asides from digital things, what else would you expect to get free? Do you expect to get free food, free rides, free housing, etc.? Things have a cost. "Free" digital products (like games) are often supported by ads or annoying ways to get you to spend money (which often ruin the experience of using them). 

XD is not supported by ad revenue and has real costs (both in development and ongoing cloud costs). Having any free level at all should be appreciated. Sketch does not have a similar free level. They have a trial and then you must pay.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one gets free food, free housing. Don't be a jerk about it. I'm
complaining about the absurd prices we pay outside US. They aren't charging
the whole software, they are in fact charging a very simple function. It's
like making Illustrator a free app but charging the "save as" or the
"export" function. I'm not complaining because the app isn't free. I'm
complaining because they made XD a free app and now the are charging for a
really simple yet important function. We already pay for an expensive
softwares suit. Next time don't be arrogant.

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Online sharing is far from a "simple" or "stupid" feature as you have called it. I'm not being "arrogant" or a "jerk" about this... I'm just trying to explain why Adobe would charge for such a feature. Please let's keep this discussion civil and refrain from insulting other people here by calling them names.

Your annology with Illustrator's Save As or Export feature doesn't hold up... because people can't get that app for free. So Adobe is already give people more with XD than they are with Illustrator.

You said "We already pay for an expensive softwares suit." If that means your're already paying for XD, there's not going to be an extra charge for sharing. It's only the free version that can't use this feature without having to pay.

As for "how much" they charge, that's a compleetly different conversation from "should" they charge. I don't know Adobe's pricing for other countries, but I have heard it's more expensive than the US. I don't know the reasoning behind that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe XD - Team, with great concern we have noticed your changes plan for the XD Starter-Abo License starting in April 2020 [1]. Unfortunatelly, for security reasons, we can't use any Adobe Cloud services, because, your Cloud will be hacked from time to time [2], and therefore, our customers avoid these services. Furthermore, so far, our developers rarely use this XD Starter-Abo License just for exporting assets from offline - XD files (e.g. PNG, SVG). So now, our team wonders how to proceed. Getting rid of Adobe XD? Alternative workflow? Are you planing to create a light-weight XD Player for Developers who just work with offline files (e.g. exporting assets / measuring / minor modifications), or, is there, by any chance, a possibility to host our own Adobe Creative On-Premise Cloud on our own servers ... just like Axure RP Enterprise is providing [3] ? Please let us know your thoughts. Thank you!

[1] https://helpx.adobe.com/xd/kb/changes-to-xd-starter-plan.html

[2] https://www.securitynewspaper.com/2019/10/28/adobe-photoshop-premiere-pro-and-illustrator-user-data-...

[3] https://www.axure.com/blog/axure-cloud-for-business-on-your-servers-or-ours

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing your concerns.  We’ve found that professionals require collaboration, including through the sharing of local documents so full access to these features are in paid plans. The Starter plan is designed for personal use and includes saving to the cloud. 

Are you planing to create a light-weight XD Player for Developers who just work with offline files (e.g. exporting assets / measuring / minor modifications) : Not that I know of, for the immediate future at least. 

A possibility to host our own Adobe Creative On-Premise Cloud on our own servers: Adobe does not offer an on-prem cloud solution for creative cloud for enterprise. If you have a paid CCE seat and your organization is not able to use to cloud services, we do allow 'prototype and design spec export' that allows publising and sharing prototypes and design specs. In this case, I suggest requesting your administrator to get in touch with Adobe Support for more info.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering if XD Premium will be included in the All Apps suite or if I will have to pay a separate fee to use those features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XD Premium should be included in the All App Suite. The changes only affect those using the XD Starter package (and not until April).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'd like to know if Adobe XD Premium features(coming in april 2020) are included in the Adobe for Team package, and for my fellow Adobe users, in general, in which packages are they included.

Thank you for your attention,

I hope this post will be helpful to others too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got an answer from an Adobe conselor affirming that any user paying for a subscription for a package of Adobe software or a subscription to Adobe XD alone will have access to Adobe XD Premium features (only free users won't have access to these features).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just now received the Changes in Adobe XD email, which are going to come in 2020. And things are really going out of hands now. They are removing Saving To Your Computer from the free plan and moving it to the paid plan starting in April 2020.

And for some no possible reasons, you are just ripping off the most basic thing from the software? 

What you are guys thinking? Are you guys a complete retard or what? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I understand, they want to mitigate the risk of people using the free version and then relying on third party software to assist with workflow and collaboration. Adobe don't want you to get some stuff for free then spend money on other companies for cooler features they don't yet offer... but it is a hunch. The wording in their alert is also confusing to say the least. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read further:

You can still save your project file to the cloud. Not too bad, is it ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't - unless you are restricted by some security policy in the organisation where you work, which won't have you work in the cloud. If I recall there was some security breach last year where it concerned cloud accounts being exposed.

https://mashable.com/article/adobe-creative-cloud-accounts-exposed/

Those types of things make risk averse organisations very nervous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha ! It would indeed be hilarious if a freebie application with cloud access could have such devastating consequences. So maybe this security benefit validates the price tag of the real deal... ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines