• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Next-Gen RotoBrush: Now Available in the After Effects Beta!

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone! We’re thrilled to announce that the Next-Gen RotoBrush has arrived in the After Effects beta as of 24.0 build 17!

The next generation of the After Effects RotoBrush tool is powered by a brand-new AI model. Tracking objects in footage over time and space is now much easier compared to RotoBrush 2: overlapping limbs and even hair and transparencies are easier to mask.

Here’s a quick comparison with RotoBrush 2 (this is raw footage with no refine edges work). Both examples use this frame and selection as the reference:

Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 8.52.39 AM.png

And here are the results:

RB3 no refine.gif

And here’s a side-by-side with refine edges work. Both examples use this frame and selection as the reference:

Screenshot 2023-08-03 at 8.53.42 AM.png

And, once again, here are the results:

RB3 refined.gif

To get started, select RotoBrush in the toolbar, double-click an existing layer in the Composition panel and select a frame to start from. Make sure you've selected version 3.0 in the Effect Controls panel and paint a green foreground stroke on the subject you’re attempting to roto and refine as needed.

Let us know how RotoBrush is working for you! We’re excited for your feedback.

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 05, 2023 Aug 05, 2023

Much faster than v2 almost 3 times on my machine.
Better edge detection if you choose the correct anchor propagation frame to begin with. 
Still struggles with area that have similar color values between the foreground and the background, but overall I can feel the improvments. The reuslt looks clean and flicker free if you set the Reduce Chatter to 100% and Chatter Reduction (for the Refine Edge) to smoother.
I only wish the Freeze process will also be acclerated, as this takes relativily a long t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too much flicker and results are still mediocre at best. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback! If you're talking about the examples featured above, I'm unfortunately constrained by not being able to link high-quality video and am stuck showing things off through very low quality GIFs. We can blame the forums infrastructure for that, which is a real bummer. If you haven't yet, I'd really recommend giving the new RotoBrush a try yourself.

If you're talking about your own experiments with the tool, though, could you provide some more detail on where you hit issues? And, if possible, maybe a screenshot of your footage so that we can get an idea of what you were working on? We'd love to get some more information so that we can make improvements!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i understood you had to use a gif, but in the rotobrush of the next-gen i see again a lot of the white.

Like if the hair aren't the hair but a unique object. 

I see it's better than before, but i see you can't use this solution for a professional job, because you can see a lot of the background togheter to the hair of the subject you tried to rotobrush. I don't know if it's possible but can you use a solution like Silhouette boris fx? Best regards

Marco 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2023 Aug 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You tested or just saw the example of the post? Because i tested and are way better, faster and more precise, considering a beta version, im using the beta to do real jobs and give me really good results!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing! Happy to see this tool continue to evolve. Keep up the good work, y'all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2023 Aug 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Much faster than v2 almost 3 times on my machine.
Better edge detection if you choose the correct anchor propagation frame to begin with. 
Still struggles with area that have similar color values between the foreground and the background, but overall I can feel the improvments. The reuslt looks clean and flicker free if you set the Reduce Chatter to 100% and Chatter Reduction (for the Refine Edge) to smoother.
I only wish the Freeze process will also be acclerated, as this takes relativily a long time to process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tested on a M1x Mac? I'm eager to dive in. I'm in the midst of a project that this feature would indeed be helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2023 Aug 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive been using it on my M1 and I've noticed it quite a bit faster and more acurute except when its near simlar colors you still need to make sure you get a decent first frame cut out otherwise it has problems with similar colors nearby.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I want to get the rotobrush 3 but I can't download after effects 24 because it says my cpu doesn't support AVX2, is there any way to get it? without upgrading my cpu, and if possible, I want the installation without creative cloud. or I want the rotobrush 3 separately, please can anyone tell me the method ? thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources