• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AIR33 Where is it?

Engaged ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it me or AIR33 Beta is delayed? We are a few days before April and there is no beta version yet. It looks like the 1st quarter release is missed.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , May 30, 2019 May 30, 2019

The announcement has been made. Harman - Adobe Partnership - HARMAN

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 302 Replies 302
Enthusiast ,
May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it's all about AIR in combination with Animate. I both design and code, all inside one software, and the pipeline from start to finished product is impressively fast. I really hope Adobe see what makes their game development software unique for indies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ASWC  wrote

No, AIR is the most convenient platform for INDY developers, not businesses. Any SERIOUS business can't use AIR anymore, done. Look for nationwide AIR job on indeed, none, zip, done.

well... if "serious" business with more resources than indie dev want to waste those resources using something else than AIR

that's too bad for them

it's pretty normal that indie dev would look up at a solution like AIR to maximize their smaller resources

whatever it is: speed of development, time, budget, etc.

so I really don't see the problem here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMA2k  wrote

So this is a serious situation. We are in May already, with only 3 months to go, and nobody from the Adobe AIR team can be bothered to even drop a tiny one liner message saying they're working on these issues! This is completely unprofessional of a big company such as Adobe and a big disrespect for all the developers still working with this declining technology. It's no wonder most developers are running away from AIR.

the thing is you're freaking out waaaaaay too much considering the situation

you say it yourself there are 3 months left, so your little tantrum look like you are the one being unprofessional

nobody owe you sh*t

if you and leo and whoever else can no trust the Adobe AIR team to deliver such update
it is your problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

zwetan_uk  escribió

OMA2k   wrote

So this is a serious situation. We are in May already, with only 3 months to go, and nobody from the Adobe AIR team can be bothered to even drop a tiny one liner message saying they're working on these issues! This is completely unprofessional of a big company such as Adobe and a big disrespect for all the developers still working with this declining technology. It's no wonder most developers are running away from AIR.

the thing is you're freaking out waaaaaay too much considering the situation

you say it yourself there are 3 months left, so your little tantrum look like you are the one being unprofessional

nobody owe you sh*t

if you and leo and whoever else can no trust the Adobe AIR team to deliver such update
it is your problem

Tantrum?! Could you please stop behaving like a jerk to people in these forums and just stick to debating? Thanks.

What's unprofessional about expecting a multi-million dollar company to at least give a tiny explanation of their plans to solve issues with their technologies? Do you really think 3 months is such a long time? Especially considering these issues have been reported back in January, and NOBODY from Adobe has replied in 4 months about both the Android Q issue and the x64 compatibility in Android issue. No response at all!

Four months in a row of zero replies don't exactly give confidence about what they're doing. I've never seen a bug tracker from ANY company (let alone a large company such as Adobe) with zero response from the development team in 4 months. At worst, they can close an issue if it's not deemed important enough, but not just ignored for months on end. It looks as if nobody from the development team is looking at the bug tracker anymore!

No replies in the tracker, no replies in the forums. Nothing!

It's clearly THEM the ones who have a problem. A BIG communication problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guys are so concentrate to see who have the reason that you forget the real issue.

You may have "trolling" all this time or you may be thought that is normal and the very last minute you will get an update and prove everyone that you where right or maybe freaking out and losing your mind BUT if you don't have a backup plan right now, it's your fault, simple like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great debate.

What ASWC says is true (or part of it is true) but what PippoApps says is also true.

AIR is an high productive runtime however part of that it's you, the developer.

Of course if you compare AIR with Assembly, AIR it's 10.000% more productive even if you are a Assembly Guru, however there are out there other options less productive as AIR but still at least 5.000% more productive then Assembly.

Xamarin allow you to code once and deploy even more options than AIR.

Flutter it's also an option if you like the very new cool new thing.

I have a web base application that I did years ago in 100% pure JS (yes, I said correctly), pure JS and I can say that I create a new page in a matter of minutes (a complex page with several options, grids, etc, etc ...).

I can also test without have to compile anything (so I can say than I can be even more productive).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They even did a reset on votes in the tracker!! It went from 120+ votes to 10... (so this on starling forum)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hferreira80  wrote

They even did a reset on votes in the tracker!! It went from 120+ votes to 10... (so this on starling forum)

What? Why would they do that?!

So not only they don't acknowledge the issue in the tracker AT ALL, but they also reset votes??!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People are saying that this was a bug but on my opinion they don't want to see the obvious (at least should consider other reasons).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's try to avoid conspiracy theories, please....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why ?

If Adobe don't reply to comments but we saw a vote reset, I'm free to see in any perspective.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would be the point in resetting the votes, exactly ?  Either Adobe care about their image and communication about this issue, or they don't. But if they care, resetting some votes on a bugtracker issue would be pretty ridiculous, and doesn't make any sense. In that case, why not deleting the issue entirely? Let's try to keep some distance, I think you're taking it too personal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will be ?

There is no point about this discussion.

In a very short term we will know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric+C.  wrote

What would be the point in resetting the votes, exactly ?  Either Adobe care about their image and communication about this issue, or they don't. But if they care, resetting some votes on a bugtracker issue would be pretty ridiculous, and doesn't make any sense. In that case, why not deleting the issue entirely? Let's try to keep some distance, I think you're taking it too personal. 

I agree, there is no point in resetting votes, it makes no sense at all. But at this point, I can expect anything from them, since it also makes little sense to not drop a single line in the tracker or in the forums saying "we're working on these issues", and still this is what we got: Zero replies from anyone working at Adobe. Nothing!

Also, the 64-bit requirement wasn't something that was announced this year. It was announced back in 2017!

"64-bit support requirement in 2019 
Platform support for 64-bit architectures was introduced in Android 5.0. Today, over 40% of Android devices coming online have 64-bit support, while still maintaining 32-bit compatibility. For apps that use native libraries, 64-bit code typically offers significantly better performance, with additional registers and new instructions.

In anticipation of future Android devices that support 64-bit code only, the Play Console will require that new apps and app updates are able to run on devices without 32-bit support. Apps that include a 32-bit library will need to have a 64-bit alternative – either within the same APK or as one of the multiple APKs published. Apps that do not include native code are unaffected.

This change will come into effect in August 2019. We're providing advance notice today to allow plenty of time for developers who don't yet support 64-bit to plan the transition."

The above paragraph comes from an announcement made by Google at the end of 2017, and as they said, they made it "to allow plenty of time for developers". Yet, the Adobe team has chosen to do nothing in these almost 2 years since then, so we are now at the final stretch before the deadline, with only a little more that 2 months to go.

And not only that, they are still remaining completely silent in the bug tracker and the forums, as if they were afraid of showing any kind of date commitment, as if they feared they might not make it in time. It's either that or they're just such a tiny team they don't have the time to spend even a few minutes to reply issues in the bug tracker. Either way, this is really worrysome.

The only replies we've had so far are time-wasting replies from fanboys who will blindly defend Adobe no matter what they do and just make excuses for them one after the other. Rest assured those posts don't make Adobe look any better, more like the opposite, because they are such senseless excuses such as:

• Adobe shouldn't test their AIR SDK with the latest beta of an Operating System which will be imminently released in just a few months, just because that OS is not production quality code. They should only test when the OS hits final release instead, so users will have problems for months after its release (What?!)
  • Quote: "I don’t see anything here that is odd about Adobe’s communication", "there's nothing particularly unusual about the current level of communication" (Really?!)
  • Quote: "the SDK is receiving generous updates, projects like Starling and Feathers are receiving funding" (this is plain false, Starling and Feathers stopped received funding back in January, and the SDK is just having maintenance updates, not "generous" updates; calling them that is a stretch)
  • "Don't worry, they'll publish AIR SDK 33 in March, and AIR SDK 34 in June". Then, when they fail to publish AIR SDK 33 (and they still haven't to this date): It's perfectly normal, they don't have any obligation to stick to their own publish dates, they can release at any time they want, less than 3 months (now a little above 2 months) until the deadline with no news is perfectly reasonable, there's still plenty of time, stop your tantrum, Adobe owes you nothing! (no comment...)

Do those people who say stuff like that really think it makes Adobe look better? Actually, that makes it look like a mediocre company which will not stand behind their product and which can only count on fanboys to defend it.

AIR is a great technology, but this is such a sorry state of things, really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems that I was misunderstood by some scared folks but, I can resume my previous statement with this statement "But at this point, I can expect anything from them" (it's not my words).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry folks, I am going to leave this discussion since it has evolved into a therapy session.

Wishing a happy 64bit Android to all

so long

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least in a few days, I can change the title to "AIR33 and 34. Where are they?". Sad..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope every one of you conspiracy theory whining babies will be man enough to come back here and post a sincere apology when Adobe pulls this off, which I suspect they will. I will be first in line thanking them for their hard work. We all know that it is a smaller team than it once was, let the people do their work. I know if i was Adobe and was reading these forums, i would eventually start ignoring you too, they have serious work to focus on, they don't have time to play therapist to the world. I bet that there isn't a guy on this forum that could knock out a 64 bit compiler in a week. Everybody take a deep breathe. Adobe gave us a huge forewarning that flash was to be terminated. They will do the same with AIR if the time comes because that is good business. If you are so unbelievably unhappy with AIR that it is giving you nightmares, then switch platforms and go away. Otherwise, you just look like trolls trying to stir a pot, which I suspect many of you are because you have too much disdain for Adobe and AIR to actually be using their products. Let Adobe work, and try to do the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I did conspiracy (freedom do speech) you are doing futurism

And what happen if you are wrong ?

I hope you are man enough to post a sincere apology.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you are wrong? Will you be man enough to apologies or even reply?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will be the first to apologize to the conspiratists if the time comes, I am certainly man enough.  I will also be the first in line to thank Adobe when they pull through for us as they have been doing for quite a few years.

I don't expect that AIR will last forever, I actually do believe that Adobe will sunset the technology one day.  So I have contingency plans as most professionals do.  Xamarin and Flutter are both on my radar.  But I am really enjoying being on the Adobe AIR train right now, it allows me to deliver on such a wide range of devices with one code base.  I love it.  So I will support and encourage Adobe until the day comes when they make an announcement that they will no longer support the technology, and I am sure that just like they did for Flash, they will give us plenty of time to adjust because it is good business.  Adobe can't afford for developers to hate them and abandon all their products, so they will treat us fairly when the time comes I am sure.  In the meantime, I am going to continue to use this fine product.

I have seen the same guys complaining on this forum, not just about this issue, but for years now.  They have nothing to contribute, they help no one, they just whine.  Why are they even here if the technology is so bad, unless they are trolls???

So yes, I will apologize.  The bigger question is, will you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really good answer, I'm totally agree with you and also think that when that day comes, we'll have enougth time to move. Until then, AIR it's simply perfect as a versatile and mature crossplatform .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have an app with a lot of users (2 mio) and of course I am very attentively related to this special situation. Here were some users posting that they trust Adobe because they were always in time in the past. I cannot agree to that stance. Why Adobe has a zero communication here may be accessable for hobby coders or for app developers who can rebuild their apps in short time in another framework. But it is an absolute NO GO for such a big company knowing that existences are depending on Adobe's plans. Even if they come out in time with the 64bit update their behaviour cannot be explained rationally. Someone in the middle management  must have instructed his or her employees not to answer any questions here. Why ever. I do not know all reasons for that but one is clear for me. There is an impressing sociopathic part in Adobe's corporate behaviour. I leave them as soon as possible. Nothing is a greater danger for business than an unpredictable partner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really good answer, I'm totally agree with you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are ridiculous statements.

Yes Adobe can afford for developers to hate them it just depends which ones. Adobe communication in forums is almost flawless when it comes to certain products/subjects, not when it comes to AIR and related where we mostly get silence. Adobe teams are very active on forums just not this one, this is reality.

Nope, AIR is not good business, it's now barely used around the world and it's costing Adobe more than it's worth. The few dozens (hundreds top?) people that use it around the world doesn't cut it.

People that are complaining, asking questions, etc ... are not whiners and are helping. First, the questions and criticisms are justified and the only reasons they look like whining is because they never get any answers by Adobe. For some of us, it's not our first rodeo of that type with Adobe and Adobe forums. Same posts, same comments, same debates, happened for years on the Flash forums and it turned out that the "whiners" as you call them were right all along. Second, this is helping, this gives a view of the state of this technology for anyone reading these forums. They can read your posts and think this technology is gonna be around for the next 5 years, or they can read other posts and think it's probably not worth investing time in it. At the end they got information and made their own choices. So the "whiners" are here to help too and since you seem to be missing that point as well, the whiners CARE about AIR and that's why they are here complaining.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines